Issue #1

(continued from Morningstar: The Northern Light)

Arriving at the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier, Powersurge and Morningstar were again quickly ushered into a a briefing room filled with costumed heroes. Having spent many nights in years past reviewing S.H.I.E.D. files on the Protector's prospective talent pool, Powersurgge immediately began attaching faces to names and countries to power sets ....

Black Panther (Wakanda): Definite Class A material, possessed of superb athelticism and combat skills, complimented by keen intellect and leadership ability.

Namor(Atlantis): Great. Another Class A prospect, with extraordinary superhuman strength and resilience, flight, swimming and water-breathing, but complimented by a blunt, headstrong, and arguementative attitude.

Binary (United States): Formerly known as Ms.Marvel before, you know, before Rogue permanently absorbed her powers and memories. Intel on her is way dated, but from what I've heard, her powers are related to some interstellar phenomenon. Hence the name, I presume. From what I saw during my first two weeks at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, the lady can fly, fight, and packs enough of a punch to knock Rogue into orbit. She was recently involved in Operation: Galactic Storm and saved the solar system, I think. In any case, she's a major heavy weight. And an old friend of the Wolvster. Apparently the lady has skills, every inch a shield-maiden.

USAgent (United States): This guy acted as Captain America awhile back when Steve had a falling out with the government. He has low-grade superhuman strength, is quite athletic, and is a solid hand-to-hand combatant. From what I've heard, even as Cap embodies the better values of American culture and patriotism, USAgent embodies all of the worst, being your steroetypical "loudmouthed, egotistical American".

Crimson Dynamo (Russia): A member of the former Soviet Super Soldiers. I wonder what they're calling themselves these days? I met him briefly following the Shadowlord Affair. He is equipped with a suit of hi-tech battle armour powerful enough to challenge Iron Man; which he has done on a couple of occassions. I wonder if thats a bad thing?

Darkstar (Russia): Another member of the former Soviet Super Soldiers that I had the pleasure of meeting. She's a reverse image of her countrywoman, Starlight ... ... ... ...

Darkstar can generate and manipulate "darkforce" energy in a manner similar to Morningstar's control of light. Apparently, she can use this power to affect a "mass" teleport. Could come in handy.

Sunfire (Japan): A former X-Men, but before my time. He is a dedicated champion of his homeland, but also willful and opinionated ... at least with us, what did Wolvie call it? Us "gaijin"? Powerwise, Sunfire is Japan's version of, well, of me! But with fire as opposed to raw energy. So, he offers what I offer, but with the addition of a "glowing personality". Like Namor wasn't bad enough? Good choice, Nick.

Radioactive Man (China): Ummm, former villain??? Though I'm not too sure about the entire "former" part. This just keeps getting better and better. The guy's basically a walking nuclear reactor, with power enough to challenge the Almighty Himself (Thor). I don't know what to think of his prescence here. And apparently, judging by the space everyone is giving him, no one else does either. Or maybe that's just the entire "walking nuclear reactor" thing?

The Examiner (Japan): Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! My old team-mate and personal friend. Examiner is a formidable athlete and personal combatant, as well as a scientific and technological genius. He is equipped with protective body armour, gauntlets capable of projecting a hefty jolt of energy, and best of all, an optics helmet with insane powers of visual analysis. I looked through it once. Not a clue. But "Professor Ex" knows how to read it, and it has often meant the difference between victory and defeat.

Battlehammer (United Kingdom): Scotland to be specific. Another former Protector and personal friend. He is quite possibly the strongest human on the face of the planet, 'cept for Binary, maybe. Elmer is a team player, and very much a working man's man. I should probably keep him away from both Namor and Sunfire.

Nightcrawler (United Kingdom): German born and bred, but currently on loan. A fellow mutant, a fellow X-Man, and despite his being a tad bit touched by the "holy ghost", an all around good guy. Kurt is also an acrobat par excellence, a skilled hand-to-hand combatant, a definite team-player, unusually stealthy thanks to his indigo-skin, and on top of all that, capable of teleporting. He can carry more than one in a 'port, but between the accompanying sense of vertigo and the overwhleming stench of brimstone, it's not pleasant. I personally threw up the first time "the elf" teleported me. The second time too. Well, technically, I threw up the third time as well, but that was only into my mouth, and I'm not exactly going to boast about it. Shhhh ....

Shadowcat (United Kingdom): American born and bred, but like Kurt, currently on loan. Kate is another fellow mutant and X-Man. She was a cute kid the last time I saw her, but she's ... ummm ... "matured" over the past few years. Colossus ... tsk, tsk ... big shiney dumby. Ummm, yeah, the kid's a genius, really good with computers, and her level courage and maturity is just, well, really impressive. She's got some smooth HTH skills too ... something to do with Wolvie, Japan, and some demon-ninja-spirit. And, she can both phase, and phase through, solid matter.

Sabra (Isreal): A champion of her homeland and the last hero of significant repute in the room. While more of a solo operative, Sabra's psychological profile stated that she would function well in a group environment. I was considering her for membership when the Protectors was suddenly shut down. If I remember correctly her power-set includes flight, resilience, mid-range superhuman strength and ... paralysis quills??? Or was that the Porcupine Battle Armour???

Arabian Knight (Saudi Arabia): He has a magical scimitar and rope, and a flying carpet to boot. And maybe a genie lamp in there somewhere? I wonder if his magic can defy gravity???

Blitzkreig (Germany): I'm surprised they didn't send Energon instead, but then, the last thing we need here is yet another "difficult personality". Anyway, like the name suggests, Blitzkreig is a powerful electrical generator.

Peregrine (France): He, aaaah, has ... wings. They're very ... feathery. But hey, I'm sure he tries! Poor France. No wonder they're always getting picked on.

Shamrock (Republic of Ireland): Oh my! I see why the vikings had a thing for the Irish. The lass has some kind of probability manipulation powers. In otherwords, she's lucky. I bet. Ummm, apparently "lady luck" has some experience teaming with Peregrine. <smirk>

Morningstar (Canada): Last but certainly not least is this rising star. According to Department H files, he is a synthetic humanoid that was grown in a lab by a company called GenTech. While he does have the same base of knowledge as your average adult, it's all theory to him. Experientially he is only something, like, 4 years old. Lucky for us he is very obedient and has an innate sense for combat. Morningstar is a light generator and manipulator, that is also possessed of superhuman strength and resilience. He feeds off of, and stores solar energy in a process similar to photosynthesis. He can convert such energy to enhance his strength or light powers, or to regenerate or sustain himself. Potentially, his power level might very well approach those of Binary, and he has managed to singlehandedly defeat the Hulk! More often however, due to environmental factors that limit the amount of available solar energy, Morningstar hangs at around my power level.

As Powersurge and Morningstar at last made their way into the briefing room, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, Examiner, and Battlehammer were all quick to greet them. Before long introductions were made all around. There was little time to acquanit, catch-up or reminisce however, before Lt.Col.Nick Fury entered the room.

After a quick recap of the situation to date, Fury stressed the need to acquire further intelligence on the "Gravity Well", not only to gauge Graviton's current level of power, but also so that they would not defeat the him only to find themselves with an unrestrained blackhole on their hands. Towards that end, S.H.I.E.L.D. intelligence had identified three major A.I.M. installations, any or all of which could potentially house detailed information on the Gravity Well. As such, the assmebled Protectors would be engaging in a coordianted attack on all three bases at once, with the goal of recovering any and all information on the Gravity Well.

Black Panther would lead the first team, comprised of Battlehammer, Crimson Dynamo, Darkstar, Shamrock, and Sunfire, ito an installation housed in the lava caverns beneath a dormant volcano in the Hawaiian Islands.

USAgent would lead the second team, comprised of Namor, Sabra, Arabian Knight, Nightcrawler, and Radioactive Man, to an underwater submarine complex off the east coast of the United States.

And Powersurge would lead the third team, comprised of Binary, Peregrine, Blitzkreigh, and Shadowcat, to an oil tanker currently situated off the northwest coast of Australia.

As for the Examiner and Morningstar; they would be engaging in a little recon mission.

USAgent was quick to object the prescence of the Radioactive Man on his team, but Fury quickly told him to stuff his objection and do his job. There was also some objection on behalf of Binary, who insisted that she was better suited for the recon misssion, but Fury merely noted her objection and explained that she was his "high card" and he wasn't ready to play her, and risk losing her, just yet.

Each team was given a brief time to gain some pasing familiarity with each other and their powers, but before long they were all speeding off toward their respective locations.