• Uncanny X-Force #1 Cover & Character Designs at Comics Alliance

Comics Alliance have an exclusive look at the first cover to January's Uncanny X-Force (2013) #1 by Olivier Coipel as well as a look at the character designs by Kris Anka with his thought process and comments from series writer Sam Humphries .

KA: Puck was an incredibly hard one to nail down because we were looking for both equal elements of superhero and a rugid, tough outdoorsman. He had to look like if he took off his jacket, he could fit in both the wilderness and at a bar, but if once composed, he lined right up with the rest of the team visually. Because his last costume was designed such a long time ago, a lot of care had to be taken in trying to update him into the modern age, while also retaining the "puck"-ness of him. I also tried to give him a Walter White goatee, but Nick was having none of that haha.

SH: Puck is a bad ass. Dude was a bouncer in the middle of nowhere, Canada. He might be short but he's rarely in a situation where he can't kick some ass. Puck is not a clown. No more skull caps, furry thighs, no more giant letter "P" on his chest!
    For the full interview, visit Comics Alliance.
    Comments 32 Comments
      -K-M- -
      Bishop and a FEMALE Fantomex? Whaaaaa? With Bishop on the team anyone see a clash with Cable's X-Force coming?

Not a huge fan of some of the designs especially for Puck and his claim to fame was a bouncer in Canada? haha what?
      Phil -
      Bishop's the enemy rather than on the team.
      And yeah, a clash with Cable's X-Force is planned.
      -K-M- -
      Oh must have missed that part of the interview
      sengsterooney -
      Wow - they ditched the goatee. It's the only minus in the design (re-design) even though Puck was sans goatee in AF vol 2.

I'm really looking forward to this - it's a very radical take on the concept, and if you think about it, he's the only dude in a team comprised solely of women (I don't even know if such a combo could have existed, say 15-20 years ago).

Only question is - will he be able to do his funky acrobatics in that costume?
      -K-M- -
      haha this was posted on another board...

"Four chicks and Puck? That's not X-Force. That's Eugine's Angels. "
      Mokole -
      I hope they treat Puck as the hero he should be, badass or whatever.
      EccentricSage -
      The outfit doesn't look bad, but it looks more like something he should be wearing in his downtime, not in a fight. I second the concern that acrobatics just wouldn't look right with a 'costume' that looks like it would limit mobility.

'is not a down' What does that phrase mean? I'm glad the writer is excited about Puck being a bad ass who's size doesn't inhibit his ability to rase hell (lol) but I do hope the guy 'gets' the rest. You know? At least they aren't trying to make him handsom, even if the writer does aparently have an issue with the hairy man thighs. lol
      Phil -
      I think thats "Clown" rather than "Down"
      Flightpath07 -
      I thought about whether or not to post for a bit. I've decided i won't post anything. Oh, wait...hmm...

Well, since i'm here anyways, I'm not a fan of the re-design of Puck. Only way I am picking up this series, is if they do such an amazing job with Puck that I HAVE to pick it up; and I really hope they DO...but they will have to make me a fan, dragging me kicking and screaming into it. I'm having trouble envisioning Puck on a team that isn't Alpha Flight without feeling sick to my stomach.
      Le Messor -
      The redesign does look cool, but it doesn't look much like a superhero costume. It is, as they say, street wear.
      It's like we can't have superhero costumes anymore because somebody somewhere said they look silly, or unrealistic. Because nobody would ever dress like that in real life.
      (Insert picture of cyclists here.)

I was about to compare it to an X-Force costume, thinking of Leifeld, but then I remembered what the series was.

And I second (third, fourth, whateverth) the idea that it doesn't look useful for acrobatics. I think that's because they're going more for a brawler (bouncer) than an acrobat, which is a part of the character.

Still, I'll be reading it -for a while at least. They seem to care about the character and all.

~ Le Messor
      "Is knowledge knowable, and how do we know?"
      Mokole -
      As long as they have Puck as a positive hero, fine. He's the one character I always liked and have liked more over time.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mokole View Post
      As long as they have Puck as a positive hero, fine. He's the one character I always liked and have liked more over time.
      Well, yeah to that.
      Right-looking costume or not (and that one does look good, whether it looks right or not), it's how they write the character that counts.

~ LM
      "It ain't the heat; it's the humility."
      ~ Yogi Berra (attrib)
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I still don't get it, Puck isn't a mutant, but there he is in an X-costume...And Toronto, Ontario is the middle of no where, Canada?...Sigh.

Dana
      Phil -
      You don't have to be a mutant to be an X-Man though; look at Longshot.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      True, I didn't get it then either. Spiral isn't a mutant too, so I guess its a mish-mash team.
      -K-M- -
      Juggernaut wasn't a mutant and he breifly was on the team.

-----
      Yeah it's sort of like Uncanny Avengers, which is a joint Avengers/X-Men team now
      DIGGER -
      Geez, Storm looks like a freakin' Kardashian. As for Puck, he's gonna get the snot kicked out of him every time he's in a fight because the bad guys aren't going to stand and wait while he takes off his "x-jacket".
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
      As for Puck, he's gonna get the snot kicked out of him every time he's in a fight because the bad guys aren't going to stand and wait while he takes off his "x-jacket".
      Well, if he can't fight in it, he can always dance 'Thriller'.

~ Le Messor
      "It had only one fault. It was kind of lousy."
      ~ James Thurber (when asked his opinion of a play)
      Mokole -
      If it's his ex-jacket I don't see why he'd ever even wear it, kind of defeats the purpose.....