Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Mac or Heather?

[/B]
    Right now, I have to go with Mac, but I don't remember Heather as Guardian, and I think that is a long ways away.

By the way, I just finished #29, the first non-Byrne issue, and it was pretty bad. Please tell me it gets better!

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler69 View Post
    Right now, I have to go with Mac, but I don't remember Heather as Guardian, and I think that is a long ways away.

By the way, I just finished #29, the first non-Byrne issue, and it was pretty bad. Please tell me it gets better!
    Well, two things.
    Heather's change is not that far away from where you are. Not that far at all.
    And as for it getting better - you're going to endure some really, really, really, rough stuff ahead.
    But it does get better.
    Like 40 issues from where you are.
    But it does get better.

That said, your mileage may vary. I speak only for myself.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain? I don't know as of yet.
    Curious to see if we will agree, on someone who will be coming up much later...
    But it does get better.
    But it does get better.
    Actually, D, unless you get beyond issue 60, neither of these things will come up.

On this, most of us are in agreement.

Well, two things.
    Very true; though I can't keep track of when she calls herself Vindicator and when Guardian.

If I had to name a favorite, I think I would go with Snowbird. Though Shaman is just a hair behind her. And Sasquatch, just a hair behind him.
    Sasquatch is a LOT of hair!

~ Le Messor
    Willow: Nervous?
    Xander: No way. I'm full of that good ole kamikaze spirit.
    Giles: Xander, just because this is never going to work is no need to be negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Very true; though I can't keep track of when she calls herself Vindicator and when Guardian.
    So funny you should say that. Keep in mind, Maico is not familiar with Alpha Flight (so don't freak out when he calls Heather "Aurora") - it's after that, that your above statement comes into play...

From our latest podcast...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdsA...tailpage#t=972

Well, two things.
    And as for it getting better - you're going to endure some really, really, really, rough stuff ahead.
    But it does get better.
    But it does get better.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that Heather gets powered up soon.
    I'm up to #31, and still not liking the post-Byrne era so far. I REALLY miss Byrne! The dialogue is bad, and the art is bad, though it looks like there will be a new penciller in a few issues, anyway.
    So, hey, I only have to sait 37 more issues. No problem.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that Heather gets powered up soon.
    I'm up to #31, and still not liking the post-Byrne era so far. I REALLY miss Byrne! The dialogue is bad, and the art is bad, though it looks like there will be a new penciller in a few issues, anyway.
    So, hey, I only have to sait 37 more issues. No problem.

Don't be so eager about Heather getting powered up soon... as for dialogue... Yeah, especially Heather's gets notoriously bad... (well, in my view, others may have different opinions!)... and the art will eventually come to Jim Lee (who makes his first appearance doing Alpha Flight art, if I remember correctly?)... but then, when the writer switches from Bill, a new artist comes aboard, and... makes things worse.

Cheery, right?

Don't be so eager about Heather getting powered up soon... as for dialogue... Yeah, especially Heather's gets notoriously bad... (well, in my view, others may have different opinions!)... and the art will eventually come to Jim Lee (who makes his first appearance doing Alpha Flight art, if I remember correctly?)... but then, when the writer switches from Bill, a new artist comes aboard, and... makes things worse.

Cheery, right?
    Jim Lee's debut? That's pretty cool. And, you mean, it gets worse? I do like some of Mantlo's stuff - The Micronauts is one of my all time favorite comics, Rom was very good, and I enjoyed his Hulk stuff too, but Mantlo and Alpha Flight do not mix.

Images

the art will eventually come to Jim Lee (who makes his first appearance doing Alpha Flight art, if I remember correctly?)
    It's his first work for Marvel ever. (I don't know how debut-y it is; he may have done something professional before that. He may not. I dunno.)
    It's beautiful.
    He drew the cover to #60, which you have.

Jim Lee's debut? That's pretty cool. And, you mean, it gets worse? I do like some of Mantlo's stuff - The Micronauts is one of my all time favorite comics, Rom was very good, and I enjoyed his Hulk stuff too, but Mantlo and Alpha Flight do not mix.
    As a rule, we don't knock Mantlo's work in general; but during his run on Alpha, he was going through a creative burn-out and running out of art.
    Unfortunately, the book suffered for it.

(The following is a vague and incomplete outline of v1, but may be considered spoilery, or telling you what to feel.)

What Tawmis described above is the path most Alfans go through:
    Byrne:
    "This is great! I love this!"
    Mantlo:
    "What? What have you done to my characters? This is awful!"
    (Jim Lee pencils Mantlo's writing) :
    Great artwork! If only the writing was good again.
    Hudnall:
    It's good again!
    (John Calimee pencils Hudnall's writing) :
    This is awful. Where have all the artists gone?
    (Llan the Sorcerer storyline) :
    Get on with it!

etc...

So far, dbutler, you've had textbook reactions. :/

~ Le Messor
    "Nature never deceives us; it is always we who deceive ourselves."
    ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    It's his first work for Marvel ever. (I don't know how debut-y it is; he may have done something professional before that. He may not. I dunno.)
    It's beautiful.
    He drew the cover to #60, which you have.

As a rule, we don't knock Mantlo's work in general; but during his run on Alpha, he was going through a creative burn-out and running out of art.
    Unfortunately, the book suffered for it.

(The following is a vague and incomplete outline of v1, but may be considered spoilery, or telling you what to feel.)

What Tawmis described above is the path most Alfans go through:
    Byrne:
    "This is great! I love this!"
    Mantlo:
    "What? What have you done to my characters? This is awful!"
    (Jim Lee pencils Mantlo's writing) :
    Great artwork! If only the writing was good again.
    Hudnall:
    It's good again!
    (John Calimee pencils Hudnall's writing) :
    This is awful. Where have all the artists gone?
    (Llan the Sorcerer storyline) :
    Get on with it!

etc...

So far, dbutler, you've had textbook reactions. :/

~ Le Messor
    "Nature never deceives us; it is always we who deceive ourselves."
    ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Thanks for the recap, Le Messor . It looks like I'll have to pick up Hudnall's run, or at least the first part of it.

dbutler69, welcome to alphaflight.net!

Thanks for your questionnaire answers. This thread is supposed to be for questionnaire stuff so let's continue the conversation in a thread in Alpha Talk.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

The Following is the official forum Alpha Flight Questionnaire. This automatically gets sent to new members. I would also like for existing members to take a minute to fill this out, as it is a great way to see the interests of fellow Alpha Flight Fans.

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight? Since 2014...I think or 2013. either way, started recently.

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction? I like the dwarf, Puck!

3. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight character? Puck

4. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight character? Flashback or Box

5. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight villain? Wendigo

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain? Diablo

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight? The FF crossover.

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"? Puck, Puck II, Sasquatch, Northstar, Aurora, Talisman, Shaman

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island) Aurora, well it would depend on which personality was stuck on the island with me.

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight? Sasquetch

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer? So far it is Byrne

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer? Need to read further and read the other versions before deciding on a bad writer.

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist? John Byrne

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist?

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be? The attack of the scrambled eggs...
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Aw! I loved the scrambled eggs! One of My favorite scenes from Byrne's run. In one of my favorite issues. Oh well, I guess not everyone loves eggs...
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Images

When you say Box is your least favourite... Which Box? Jeffries? (Because you're likeliest to have seen him.)

Roger Bochs. I just didn't like him. lol. As for the scrambled eggs, I did like that one to a point. Now that I think of it, that would be a good What If!?
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight? Since 2014...I think or 2013. either way, started recently.
    That's VERY cool to have someone who is relatively new to Alpha Flight. The majority of us became fans back in Alpha Flight's "glory days" - and considering the lack of exposure the team gets, it's awesome to see they still pull in new fans!

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction? I like the dwarf, Puck!
    He does definitely stand out - but then, so does the majority of Alpha Flight.

3. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight character? Puck
    Not surprised based on Answer 2.

4. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight character? Flashback or Box
    I liked Flashback, for as little as we got of him.

5. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight villain? Wendigo
    Interesting! Of all the villains Alpha Flight faced! Did you jump on with World War Wendigo?

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain? Diablo
    Heh. His storyline in Alpha Flight was pretty weak.

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight? The FF crossover.
    FF Cross Over?

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"? Puck, Puck II, Sasquatch, Northstar, Aurora, Talisman, Shaman
    You're REALLY a fan of Puck.

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island) Aurora, well it would depend on which personality was stuck on the island with me.
    LOL! True.
    Aurora has multiple personalities. Snowbird is likely to take the form of an owl or bear and rip your heart out. Heather's liable to kill you for no good reason. Marrinna is liable to turn into a big alien creature...

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight? Sasquetch
    I could see that.

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer? So far it is Byrne
    Probably going to remain that way.

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist? John Byrne
    Probably not going to change either.

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be? The attack of the scrambled eggs...
    Of all the stories - THAT is the one you'd undo?