Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weakest of the GREAT BEASTS?

Default Weakest of the GREAT BEASTS?

Ranaq the Devourer.

The one that emerged from... Scrambled Eggs. Yes. Scrambled Eggs.

We never see him after Talisman dispatches him do we? Not ever again among the Great Beasts, though he was supposedly one of them? Shaman speculated that Talisman possibly destroyed Ranaq the Devourer...

But if memory serves me right... he never appears again? And he's not in Chaos War... when they show the Great Beasts...

Oh, just Wiki'ed him... apparently: The character subsequently appears in Alpha Flight (vol. 1) #38 (September 1986) ...

Well since I am re-reading it... I will get to it again.
    But what happened that he never appears with the Great Beasts again?

Wiki also noted:
    Neooqtoq, The Ravager is referenced in Incredible Hercules #119 (September 200. Neooqtoq is described as the "deadliest" of the Great Beasts. Although the beast itself does not appear, Snowbird assumes its form to battle the slave gods of the Skrulls.

If so - how come this Neo one doesn't appear with the Great Beasts in Chaos War?

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

The implication is that, by the time of AF #24, the GB's had been whittled down to the few you usually see together. Ranaq had been destroyed (which kinda negates or is contradicted by #38.)

I noticed he was missing, even though in the image of Reilly Brown's studio I could see he'd been drawing him.

- Le Messor
    "I can handle reality in small doses, but as a lifestyle it’s much too confining."
    ~ Lilly Tomlin
    Last edited by Le Messor; 12-03-2010 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Oh, just Wiki'ed him... apparently: The character subsequently appears in Alpha Flight (vol. 1) #38 (September 1986) ...

Well since I am re-reading it... I will get to it again.
    But what happened that he never appears with the Great Beasts again?

Wiki also noted:
    Neooqtoq, The Ravager is referenced in Incredible Hercules #119 (September 200. Neooqtoq is described as the "deadliest" of the Great Beasts. Although the beast itself does not appear, Snowbird assumes its form to battle the slave gods of the Skrulls.

If so - how come this Neo one doesn't appear with the Great Beasts in Chaos War?
    My guess is that Neootoq is among the destroyed Beasts...Snowbird can take the form of dead Great Beasts (she took Tanaraq's form after she killed Walter). I'm not sure why Ranaq shows up again in #38...I also don't know if it was a mistake, either on Mantlo's part (as there were certainly many) or on the part of the artist (one possible clue might be if Ranaq has any speaking lines in the issue).

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    The implication is that, by the time of AF #24, the GB's had been whittled down to the few you usually see together. Ranaq had been destroyed (which kinda negates or is contradicted by #3.

I noticed he was missing, even though in the image of Reilly Brown's studio I could see he'd been drawing him.

- Le Messor
    "I can handle reality in small doses, but as a lifestyle it’s much too confining."
    ~ Lilly Tomlin
    Right...Snowbird (or somebody, I can't recall for sure) in Byrne's run claimed that there were only 7 surviving Beasts....Kolomaq wasn't seen in issue #24, because he was trapped (by Snowbird) on Earth...Ranaq wasn't seen then, because he was supposedly destroyed (Tanaraq too).

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    My guess is that Neootoq is among the destroyed Beasts...Snowbird can take the form of dead Great Beasts (she took Tanaraq's form after she killed Walter). I'm not sure why Ranaq shows up again in #38...I also don't know if it was a mistake, either on Mantlo's part (as there were certainly many) or on the part of the artist (one possible clue might be if Ranaq has any speaking lines in the issue).
    Dana
    Wait - didn't Snowbird take Tanaraq's form in order to rip out Sasquatch's heart?

Either Kariooq, The Corruptor or Tolomaq, The Fire Beast are the weakest

Ranaq had some impressive feats, and he didn't come from scrambled eggs

Wiki also noted:

We have seen other Great Beasts other then Neo as well, recently in the Snowbird one-shot and in Wolverine, Thor and Over-The-Edge

Ranaq had been destroyed (which kinda negates or is contradicted by #3.

- Le Messor
    ~ Lilly Tomlin
    He wasn't destroyed we see him again during the Pestilence story.

Wait - didn't Snowbird take Tanaraq's form in order to rip out Sasquatch's heart?
    Yes, but when she became mortal I believe she could only turn into Sasquatch form (not Tanaraq's true form) as we have seen in Omega Flight true Tanaraq is different then Sasquatch Tanaraq.
    Last edited by -K-M-; 12-02-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    Ranaq had some impressive feats, and he didn't come from scrambled eggs
    Technically... no. He didn't "come" from Scrambled Eggs. But when he first took his form that WE saw... it was from Scrambled Eggs. And Shaman was like, "Yeah, Mr. officer, that makes sense, that he would come from Scrambled Eggs." (The issue was almost comical...) I mean, it's something right out of ghostbusters.

We have seen other Great Beasts other then Neo as well, recently in the Snowbird one-shot and in Wolverine, Thor and Over-The-Edge
    Snowbird... one shot?

Yes, but when she became mortal I believe she could only turn into Sasquatch form (not Tanaraq's true form) as we have seen in Omega Flight true Tanaraq is different then Sasquatch Tanaraq.
    Which is weird... at least to me. Since none of the others, save for Mr. Scrambled Eggs, never really changed their form.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Either Kariooq, The Corruptor or Tolomaq, The Fire Beast are the weakest
    Tawmis was quoting the Byrne issues (Shaman?) in saying Ranaq was the weakest - because he took mortal form.

There's been discussion about the numbers on this forum. I believe I went with the '7 only' theory, but was proved wrong. Which backs you up here.

He wasn't destroyed we see him again during the Pestilence story.
    That's #38, that we're discussing, isn't it?

True- due to a technicality, she could become the amalgam of Sas and Tanaraq, which was created in Canada, not either Walt or Tanaraq themselves.

Technically... no. He didn't "come" from Scrambled Eggs. But when he first took his form that WE saw... it was from Scrambled Eggs. And Shaman was like, "Yeah, Mr. officer, that makes sense, that he would come from Scrambled Eggs." (The issue was almost comical...) I mean, it's something right out of ghostbusters.
    Hee hee hee... I just wrote into a novel a line where a snowed-under London looked like a lot of marshmallow had dropped on it from a ravaging monster...
    (It won't make the final cut.)

Snowbird... one shot?
    Perhaps the romance one-shot that had a Snowbird story? But it's up to K-M to answer.

Which is weird... at least to me. Since none of the others, save for Mr. Scrambled Eggs, never really changed their form.
    They each had very different powers and M-Os.

- Le Messor
    "I can prove you're not here." [Rattles off a list of places that the other person is not] "So, if you're not in any of those places, you must be somewhere else, right?"
    "Right."
    "Well, if you're somewhere else, then you can't be here!"
    ~ Abbot and Costello"

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

The implication is that, by the time of AF #24, the GB's had been whittled down to the few you usually see together. Ranaq had been destroyed (which kinda negates or is contradicted by #38.)

- Le Messor
    ~ Lilly Tomlin

Snowbird ripped out Somon's heart, in The Great Beasts' own realm (AF# 24), but he's back! And he's supposed to have control over all of the others! And (but?) they lie! A point that Snowbird tried her damnedest to get the rest of the team to realize.

Ranaq needs a body to inhabit, which makes him the weakest if he takes a mortal/human form. What if he takes a demon-god or Wendigo form, how weak would he be?

And why didn't The Beasts (however many of them there are) want to make their last stand in their own realm (besides the fact of making Hell of Earth and tiring out Alpha Flight)?
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    Ranaq needs a body to inhabit, which makes him the weakest if he takes a mortal/human form. What if he takes a demon-god or Wendigo form, how weak would he be?
    You know. In hindsight... that isn't true... about him needing a body. What the heck body was it that he "had" when he appeared 100 years in the past? The demonic thing? And Scrambled Eggs... isn't exactly a body... before he jumped to the human hosts....

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    And why didn't The Beasts (however many of them there are) want to make their last stand in their own realm (besides the fact of making Hell of Earth and tiring out Alpha Flight)?
    They explained it. They're more powerful on Earth.

yes...But she took his form later in the series too, after Byrne left.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    yes...But she took his form later in the series too, after Byrne left.

Dana
    Aye, but you had said:
    My guess is that Neootoq is among the destroyed Beasts...Snowbird can take the form of dead Great Beasts (she took Tanaraq's form after she killed Walter).

What I was asking - didn't she take Tanaraq's form BEFORE she killed Walter? I thought she shifted into Tanaraq in order to rip out Walter's heart (thus killing him)?

Aye, but you had said:
    My guess is that Neootoq is among the destroyed Beasts...Snowbird can take the form of dead Great Beasts (she took Tanaraq's form after she killed Walter).

What I was asking - didn't she take Tanaraq's form BEFORE she killed Walter? I thought she shifted into Tanaraq in order to rip out Walter's heart (thus killing him)?
    The stated reason she could take Tanaraq's form at all was because it was an amalgamation of him and Walter, which occurred in the Arctic, thus creating Sasquatch. Since she can take on the form of any animal born in the Canadian Arctic she was able to copy his. Technically, her being able to copy dead Great Beasts is a retcon of her power.