Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
Digger, I have to disagree with you on Shaman. At first, I thought Michael Twoyoungmen was very boring...But he was later given a lot of back-story during Byrne's run in Volume 1 (separating himself from his tribe to become a doctor in the "white man's world", losing his wife to cancer, losing his daughter after his wife's death, then finally coming back to his roots. Michael became very multi-layered (he's not just a shaman, he's also a widower, a brilliant surgeon, a father, etc...), where Mac did not....We learned very, very little about Mac during Byrne's run. Who was Mac's family (did he have parents, siblings, etc...)? What formed his life and how did he choose to become a scientist/engineer? Why does he not want to wear the battlesuit and be the hero (he's always tried to put somebody else as leader of Alpha)? Later writers tried to add unnecessary darkness to Mac , I guess in an effort to make him more interesting (like Mantlo indicating Mac was partly responsible for Logan being kidnapped by the Weapon X program and being responsible for the creation of Bedlam), while other writers tried to undo that darkness. He's been written horrible inconsistent with each appearance.

Dana
Dana, I'm not saying Shaman is boring (I think he is a great creation). All I am saying is that he was given a chance to develop as a character whereas Guardian wasn't. The fact that we don't know why he didn't want to be the leader or why he was reluctant to wear the uniform in the first place leaves the door open for more character development. Reed Richards didn't go into space to become a superhero, Tony Stark wasn't a hero until circumstances practically forced him to be. The POTENTIAL IS THERE for Guardian to be so much more than what has been done to date. Perhaps a new Alpha series would help. FYI, the darkest day for me was when Mac showed up in the penultimate issue of vol.1 as the arch nemesis of perspiration, the.....ANTIGUARD. THAT WAS A TOTAL WTF...YGBKM MOMENT.

DIGGER
(sorry for the delay in responding. Damn job)