Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Volume 4 #1 Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Default The Volume 4 #1 Thread (Contains Spoilers)

So people, even with the solicits revealing the traitor there's still lots for us to talk about!

What did people think?

And remember, let's leave

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

SPACE for the preview panel on the main page.
    Last edited by Phil; 06-15-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Just read it...and definitely enjoyed it. The art was really different from issue 0.1, and though it was not quite as spectacular, it is crisp and solid. Overall, a great issue.

A few thoughts....

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

- I am still very impressed with the Canadian feel. Emergency Act, Charter of Rights and Freedom? Right on target. Very reminiscent of a certain crisis, over 4 decades ago...Issue 0.1 was already impressive on the Canadian side (barring a few details), this was even better. The twins' French was grammatically perfect and very believable - something very unusual for a Marvel comic. Aurora's potty-mouth on page 16 took me by surprise!

- Poor blind, gullible Mac...fooled and foiled once more...again, right on target for him. He is so clean-cut and heroic that all betrayals always appear from within. When it's not his own suit, it's his own wife!

- Very interested to see the developments with Aurora. Is her brother being paranoid, and being too controling, as he has before, or is she not quite as sane as she would like to believe? Curious to see how this is going to develop.

- I dislike the new, angry Marrina immensely. Which I think is what the authors are trying to achieve. I suppose she'll be a hit with teenage readers

- Heather as the betrayer...let's take a crack at it...she lost custody of her child. She saw another of her "children", Kara, fighting the Flight and put in custody. Has she made a pact with the devil to get her daughter back? Is she trying to be a double agent? Time will tell. She was by far my last choice for a traitor, so once again, good choice if handled well.

- New old Boxes that actually are boxes! Guardian remembering to use his teleportation power for the first time in decades! Shaman, Sasquatch and Snowbird doing...not much, but doing it well!

It will be a long month until the second issue...

loved this issue! loved it!
    s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

loved the interaction between northstar and aurora, spot on as i remember them the fondest. sasquatch characterization was spot on. i love marina's new attitude, she was a little dull to me in the short time she was around. she's a teenager, and she's acting the part.

return of the original box design, which i love. never was a big fan of madison's box armor. reminds me of byrnes box drawings, admittedly he loves drawing robots and i feel box was his best looking character.

the one thing that nailed it for me was shaman and snowbirds interaction. they are very close and it showed in this issue, something that has been lost. i can not wait until they add puck to the mix!!

great first issue!! i have yet to read anything bad from pak/fvl and this one has not disapointed. one month until next issue? that sucks!!!

btw, i love the french interaction between northstar and aurora, but any chance we can get a translation?

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieurTaffy View Post
    - Very interested to see the developments with Aurora. Is her brother being paranoid, and being too controling, as he has before, or is she not quite as sane as she would like to believe? Curious to see how this is going to develop.
    I think the #3 cover hints at it.

Left work during lunch to pick it up because I just COULDN'T WAIT! I got half way done with the issue and HAD to head back to work so I'm sitting here in suspense for the next 5 hours!

Also good news I finally found all but 1 of the missing issues I needed to complete my "essential" set (All the AF and OF comics + X-Men 120 and 121)

So the ONLY issue I'm missing is the FINAL issue of Volume 1! BLAH.

Quote Originally Posted by varo View Post
    btw, i love the french interaction between northstar and aurora, but any chance we can get a translation?
    Oh, if only we knew a French>English translator... Oh wait, that's what I do for a living! Varo, I'm swamped right now, so I can't go look through the whole script, but if you can type them up here, I can give you a translation no problem!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 06-15-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo, argh!
    I never said I was objective.

"Soeurette est-ce que je pourrais te parler en privé?" which I think is something along the lines of 'Sister can we talk in private?"

and "Ta gueule!" which I definitely wasn't taught in school...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    "Soeurette est-ce que je pourrais te parler en privé?" which I think is something along the lines of 'Sister can we talk in private?"

and "Ta gueule!" which I definitely wasn't taught in school...
    Correct on the first guess, Phil! Fred had asked me for a French version of "Sister, I would like a word with you in private, if you don't mind..."

I actually added the "ette" on soeur, to make it more like a term of endearment, as in "little sister."

And the second sentence is, quite simply, "Shut up!"

Gotta run for today, so à demain tout le monde!
    I never said I was objective.

I took 2 years of french and all I remember is "Tu es tres sympatique est tre jolie madammossel."

And yes that is all horribly spelled wrong.

Really enjoyed the issue, and love the art. Always was a fan of Dale even way back when in his first stint with JSA.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

Liked Box being an actual box was a nice touch.
    Last edited by -K-M-; 06-15-2011 at 06:44 PM.

OK, seriously, did Pak and Van Lente just make Kyle Stevie Hunter's brother? That's...kind of awesome and I want to hug both of them for remembering that she exists.

Loved the interaction with the twins, though I am sad that JM seems to be regressing. And OK, I love JM and I know JP would never hit his sister, but by this point, I wouldn't blame him if he did.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

So is kyle "Dead dead" or like "Socking death scene that he barely makes it out of"? They seemed very interested in using kyle just to kill him off the first issue. Now I know they said he plays a big part but is his big part...dying? If so that is kind of lame. I was really liking the chemistry they had.

Do you think they'll have a resurrected Roger running the show behind the box robots? Would it be too much to bring back Purple girl AND Roger Bochs so quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender View Post
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

So is kyle "Dead dead" or like "Socking death scene that he barely makes it out of"? They seemed very interested in using kyle just to kill him off the first issue. Now I know they said he plays a big part but is his big part...dying? If so that is kind of lame. I was really liking the chemistry they had.
    Additional
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Kyle's not dead, he's just going to be bait.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

I was originally going to post this in the review thread, but putting it here just in case.

I just love how the review equates giving Jean-Paul a boyfriend -- a boyfriend he only "cuddles" with for one panel -- with defining the character by his homosexuality. One of these days, I'm going to hear a reader complain about Cyclops, Iron Man, or Captain America's relationships with the opposite sex defining them by their heterosexuality and then I will drop dead of shock right at my keyboard.

Yes, the first page with JP and Kyle tells us plainly that Northstar is gay. It also tells us that he isn't a team player. It also tells us that he, despite having turned his back on Alpha Flight, is very concerned for his sister, to the point that a faint nudge from Kyle is all the momentum it takes to get him back into the field. And the encounter with his sister itself speaks to the fact that his concern and affection persists despite implications of a turbulent past between them and a violent rebuff at Aurora's hands. That is a lot of characterization packed into two pages, and that's not even taking into account what Kyle's reaction to JP's note in between says about their relationship.

Yes, Northstar is gay. It is a part of who he is, and other writers have, unfortunately, often made it his distinguishing characteristic. But the folks behind the scenes did their job this time in making Northstar's homosexuality one part of his character, not the sum of it. If some readers are still so hung up on Northstar's sexuality twenty years post-outing that it's all they can see, that's not at the feet of this creative team.

'Scuse me, I have to go scrub the smell of rant off before bed.
    Last edited by suzene; 06-16-2011 at 05:23 AM.