Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The #0.1 Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloo View Post
    It should be ok. I remember reading over at Eaglesham's Alpha Club forum that his wife was a Quebecois and was proofreading the French parts/
    I'm only asking, because one of the more recent reviews bashed the use of french in the comic (and Eaglesham himself, is also originally from Quebec...According to the interview).

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I think the review bashed the fact that there was one French line where as the rest were English and if you're going to translate one they should all be translated, in order to make sense.

If I can find the link again, I'll post it. The reviewer did comment on the use of French in the middle of a mostly English sentence (as you mention, Phil), but they also bashed the use of French as being inaccurate (to the effect of them not even existing as words). It was a fairly negative review, IIRC.

Dana

Whoops! I totally apologize....It was a comment I read on Marvel.com forums, that I was thinking of...Sorry, guys. It was in the 0.1 comment thread...A reader goes a bit mental on the French, saying it was made up and that people also don't use french words in the middle of speaking English (I disagree with him on a technicality...Many of the words we English-speakers use have their origins in French).

http://fans.marvel.com/go/thread/vie...ussionSpoilers

Again, sorry...I totally misremembered it as being a review (in a sense it is a sort of review).
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 06-01-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    It was a comment I read on Marvel.com forums, that I was thinking of...Sorry, guys. It was in the 0.1 comment thread...A reader goes a bit mental on the French, saying it was made up and that people also don't use french words in the middle of speaking English
    I do, and it's hardly my native language.
    I remember one word - no more - that I thought might be misspelled ('j'ai' instead of 'j'ais') but my French isn't that great, and the spelling mistake is probably mine.

- Le Messor
    "I’d love to, but I’ve been traded to Cincinnati."

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    Whoops! I totally apologize....It was a comment I read on Marvel.com forums, that I was thinking of...Sorry, guys. It was in the 0.1 comment thread...A reader goes a bit mental on the French, saying it was made up and that people also don't use french words in the middle of speaking English (I disagree with him on a technicality...Many of the words we English-speakers use have their origins in French).

http://fans.marvel.com/go/thread/vie...ussionSpoilers

Again, sorry...I totally misremembered it as being a review (in a sense it is a sort of review).
    In the south parts of New-Brunswick, Acadians consistently use French and English mixed together to form sentences. It is very common! They call it "chiac" while most people say "Franglais". That reader clearly lives in a English dominated or French Québec dominated area!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    "Yet, a scene composed of an angry would-be voter ranting against the receiving of a parking ticket simply can't be considered to be intriguing in any persuasive fashion."

It's true only in that he's talking about non-fans. Fans will recognise the name 'Anne McKenzie' and be hooked!

"Similarly, a page-turner which consists of the absence of colour from the last frame while a character off-panel asks "Hey! What happened to the lights?""

It just occured to me... wasn't this scene set during the day? Wouldn't that mean the lights going out wouldn't make much difference anyway?
    Or has the light Apocalypse that's affected Marvel and DC since the 90s been mitigated by the invention, in 2011, of the electric light?

- Le Messor
    "We all like to think we're unique until someone tells us we're different."
    ~ P.K. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I think I'll wait for the TPB.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I loved issue 0. Plain and simple. We've waited so looooooooong for this, let's all get behind it and make it a hit!

Not sure why people are complaining about Shaman's spirit leaving his body, and his body continued the surgery. This is something Shaman has done before even way back in vol.1
    Last edited by -K-M-; 06-06-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    Not sure why people are complaining about Shaman's spirit leaving his body, and his body continued the surgery. This is something Shaman has done before even way back in vol.1
    ¿To what do you refer?

- Le Messor
    "Some people are so sensitive they feel snubbed if an epidemic overlooks them."
    ~ Kin Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    ¿To what do you refer?

- Le Messor
    "Some people are so sensitive they feel snubbed if an epidemic overlooks them."
    ~ Kin Hubbard
    Infinity Crusade tie-in, his soul left his body while his body continued to fight with Wolverine. He did this so he could go undected by the Goddess.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    Infinity Crusade tie-in, his soul left his body while his body continued to fight with Wolverine. He did this so he could go undected by the Goddess.
    Ah... I half-forgot that. Weirdly, I finally got a tie-in I've been looking for the other day (Warlock and the Infinity Watch #8.) Haven't had the chance to read it yet.

- Le Messor
    "Insight, plus hindsight, equals foresight."
    ~ Russell Murphy
    Last edited by Le Messor; 05-12-2014 at 11:55 PM.