Thread: Alpha Flight at Library and Archives Canada in Ottawa

Default Alpha Flight at Library and Archives Canada in Ottawa

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/about-u...alter-ego.aspx

As I was walking around Ottawa today I saw a poster for this event on a post and was surprised I hadn't heard of it before. It's some sort of free exhibit at Library and Archives Canada with reproductions of comic art by Canadian artists and also about Canadian comic book heroes.

I took a look at the website and it specifically references John Byrne, so I am assuming there is some Alpha Flight presence. I'm going to check it out myself soon, but I was wondering if anybody else in Ottawa had seen this?

Wesley

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaraq View Post
    http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/about-u...alter-ego.aspx

As I was walking around Ottawa today I saw a poster for this event on a post and was surprised I hadn't heard of it before. It's some sort of free exhibit at Library and Archives Canada with reproductions of comic art by Canadian artists and also about Canadian comic book heroes.

I took a look at the website and it specifically references John Byrne, so I am assuming there is some Alpha Flight presence. I'm going to check it out myself soon, but I was wondering if anybody else in Ottawa had seen this?

Wesley
    Not from Canada; but if you do go, would definitely love to hear if Alpha Flight is represented & how much.

If you do go and can take photographs please let us know!
    If you write an article we'll post it!

I managed to head over and check it out. It's a very small exhibit, just in the lobby of the building. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the area, but not worth making a special trip for. It's a series of placards with reproductions of various art/covers/etc from different comic book sources with a brief description of the comic/image/character. It covers everything from independent Canadian comics, comics that have been historically made in Canada (e.g. Captain Canuck and some other old Canadian based heroes I've never heard of), superheroes created by Canadians (e.g. Superman) and some Canadian superheroes that were created by American publications (Wolverine and Alpha Flight).

So Alpha Flight did have it's own placard with the cover to Alpha Flight #2, and a page from Guardian's first appearance in Uncanny X-Men #109. I've attached a photo of the entire placard, and close ups of the descriptions they have for the two images. Not a huge presence, but neat to see on display.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5109.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	5398

Name:	IMG_5110.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	5399

Name:	IMG_5111.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	5400

This got me exploring the Library and Archives site, and they have a site created in 2001 called Guardians of the north that discusses many Canadian created comic characters (many of which are covered in the Alter Ego exhibit).
    http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/200/301...s/index-e.html

This site really focuses on only Canada based characters created by Canadians for Canadian publishers, so Alpha Flight is barely a footnote. What is interesting though, if you click on the 'Related Sites' link at the bottom, there is an Alpha Flight section with links to some of the old fan pages that I don't think are around anymore (like Seng Mah's on geocities). It is from 2001 after all...
    Last edited by Tanaraq; 07-28-2016 at 08:33 AM.

WOW! Thanks for the pictures, Tanaraq! Also thanks for the reporting, very interesting. I'm glad to see Alpha Flight represented and super happy that I got to see the photos.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com