Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazing X-Men #9 SPOILERFUL Discussion Thread

Fun action/horror/mystery stuff, topped off with lousy attempts at comedy and one really gross ending.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

B

L

O

O

B

L

O

O

Obviously waiting to the end of the arc to see if Elizabeth's death sticks, but it's not like they haven't pulled this sort of thing before, so it could really go either way. At worst, it's a completely pointless death, and one of the most obvious markers of hackneyed, garbage writing. At best, it's a scantily clad woman getting graphically gored for shock value, which is also a pretty disgusting trope to perpetuate (see also: Uncanny Avengers).

Un. Im. Pressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphan2011 View Post
    OMG!!! I don't agree with the rest of you, the writing I think is great!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Other than that major complaint, it was a wonderful issue.
    Obviously, "the rest of you" doesn't include moi.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

S

P

O

I

L

E

D

H

A

T

I have a bad feeling about this...
    Oddly enough, I'm listening to Star Wars music right now.

It has Alpha Flight, so we ALL should be happy to see them.
    Not like this... Not like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switch.gif 
Views:	51 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	4330

Actually, I don't believe that's really going to be a death. Not in comic books.

Also, I've just discovered a strange new glitch: when I hit 'go advanced', every capital letter in the quotes and the ones I'd already typed turned little. Weird...
    'cept after full stops.

But, it's Marvel...I'm sure they got something up their sleeves.
    Why?
    Not tryin' to be hostile, but it seems like it's one minor character from a team that doesn't have its own book right now. I can't see any reason why this should be part of a greater plan.

As hard as it is, we've all gotta wait until the more of the story to see where the ultimate end is.
    Now that I agree with! Fully.

Guys, let's read this whole storyline (or at least let some of us read this and report back) before we judge, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by flightpath07 View Post
    obviously, "the rest of you" doesn't include moi.
    Moi non plus. I've been reading and enjoying Amazing so far.

~ Le Messor
    "My sister passed away and her funeral was scheduled for Monday. When I told my Boss, he said she died on purpose so that I would have to miss work on the busiest day of the year. He then asked if we could change her burial to Friday. He said, 'That would be better for me'."
    ~ Shipping executive, FTD Florists

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Guys, let's read this whole storyline (or at least let some of us read this and report back) before we judge, okay?
    No...

JUDGE EVERYTHING!!!!
    BEFORE you read it, even!!
    JUDGEJUDGEJUDGEJUDGEJUDGEJUDGE.

I do. I did. I am judge-y.

Images

A lot of people say you can't judge a book by its cover, or a movie by its trailer.

I say, if you can't, the cover artist and the trailer maker aren't doing their job.

A lot of people say you can't judge a book by its cover, or a movie by its trailer.

I say, if you can't, the cover artist and the trailer maker aren't doing their job.
    That's so true!

The other alternative is, and this is more often the truth, they are doing their job but their job is to purposely mislead you.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

they are doing their job but their job is to purposely mislead you.
    See, I don't really get why companies do that. It tends to cause resentment and horrible PR.

~ Le Messor
    "Judge me by my size, would you?"
    ~ Yoda

Meh. Read it. Thought the writing was great. Don't even think for a moment that Talisman is dead.

See, I don't really get why companies do that. It tends to cause resentment and horrible PR.
    I think the issue is that if the trailer (or cover, to an extent) tells the whole story then why bother watching the actual film?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I think the issue is that if the trailer (or cover, to an extent) tells the whole story then why bother watching the actual film?
    Like the DVD cover for Planet of the Apes that shows the final twist right there on the box?

Nah, that's another issue entirely. It IS an issue, a big one, but a good trailer (or cover) needs to give you a good idea of what to expect from the movie without spoiling it.

Bad examples of both:
    Top Secret! - My dad tells me he saw the trailer for this, and thought it'd be a horrible movie. I don't even know if he knew it'd be a comedy.
    Now it's among his favourite movies.
    A Christmas Carol - there was a trailer that used to run on Fox Cable that literally told every story beat. It went through from Scrooge being a miser, to the ghosts, to the happy ending. I know it's a very well-known story, but if you already know it, you don't need it retold. If you don't, you've just been spoiled.

Good examples:
    Hopefully, Guardians of the Galaxy: It's got me really excited about a project I didn't care about at all when announced (I like the original team, the current one means nothing to me). If it gives the tone and style of the film, then it'll be a great movie.
    I don't know what happens in it.
    A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Built up a spooky atmosphere, got me into the theatre to see it. It didn't give away the plot, but did tell me what to expect.

~ Le Messor
    "Warning: The following spoiler will give away the entire plot of the movie and probably spoil the whole experience."
    (Warning sign done in the style of the censorship warnings you get.)

Hopefully, Guardians of the Galaxy: It's got me really excited about a project I didn't care about at all when announced (I like the original team, the current one means nothing to me). If it gives the tone and style of the film, then it'll be a great movie.
    Do not read the Bendis version! Read the Abnett & Lanning version! You WILL love it.

I try my hardest not to watch any film trailers simply to avoid anything being spoilt.

For me a comic cover is a lot like a film poster; sometimes an iconic image works well enough.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Do not read the Bendis version! Read the Abnett & Lanning version! You WILL love it.
    You know my feelings on Abnett.
    That said, I've recently acquired a preview of the current version, and am actually tempted. Don't know who wrote it, off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I try my hardest not to watch any film trailers simply to avoid anything being spoilt.
    Like that trailer for Milk, ended up with spoiled milk.

Yeah, I'm definitely at that stage with GotG... I used to watch the trailers, but now I'm deliberately avoiding it to go in fresh.
    I did that with The Dark Knight, too - I did everything I could to not see Heath Ledger in it until I saw the movie. Was reasonably successful; got no more than glimpses of him.

~ Le Messor
    "My specialty is being right when other people are wrong."
    ~ GB Shaw

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Crackity Jones View Post
    No...

JUDGE EVERYTHING!!!!
    BEFORE you read it, even!!
    JUDGEJUDGEJUDGEJUDGEJUDGEJUDGE.

I do. I did. I am judge-y.
    Ditto. Me, too. I agree, 100%.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

For most things, if reviewers love the book across the board or hate it, I avoid it. When reviewers disagree and make no sense, then I'll see the movie or buy the book. Didn't do that for two Woody Harellson movies over a decade ago, learned since to obey that rule and have not been disappointed.

To be clear, the Harrelson movies were 'Natural Born Killers' and that idiotic bowling movie. Hated them, never again going to do see what critics love.
    Last edited by Mokole; 07-24-2014 at 06:58 PM.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.