Thread: Help to ID artist

Default Help to ID artist

This image is taken from the Marvel Annual Report in 1991. See Snowbird and Puck. I know it's from a larger image because I've seen Sasquatch too on other pages of similar trade magazines. Can anyone ID the artist? Avoid the temptation to guess unless you are like 99pct sure. Also can anyone find the original poster or original image where it's from?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whodrew.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	4254

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Sorry man, I've often wondered that myself.

The contributing artists credits suggests it's Paul Ryan, with inks by Jimmy Palmiotti but I can't be sure on that.
    Last edited by Phil; 07-04-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I have that on a t-shirt.
    Seriously, the shirt is black-and-white and covered in that picture, with the only colour being a red Marvel logo on the top right.

I've always thought it was by Ron Lim, but t-shirts are never credited.

~ Le Messor
    "My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was 60. Now she's 97 years old and we don't know where the hell she is."

Images

Okay... I stopped by my parents' place to try to get a pic of the t-shirt, but they've apparently gone to the coast for a week. In the middle of winter.
    By the time they get back, I'll have forgotten all about this.

I've never put it on the Alpha Flight goodies thread because I think of it as a general Marvel comics t-shirt; and when I wear it, it's just as much a New Warriors T as Alpha Flight. Silhouette, Speedball, Night Thrasher, Firestar, and Nova (Rich Rider) are all on it.

Sasquatch is also in the artwork, to the left of Man-Thing - not in the version you've seen, Rob. To make up for it, you have a much better version of Snowbird than I do - mine's cut off at my shoulder. She's visible, but hardly recognisable.

About the piece of art involved:
    The copyright is 1992. Model number MT585.

I remember it being used in a Marvel in-house ad at the time, I think their subscription form. Memory fuzzy.

I think it was also released as a massive poster, which would show all the characters on it. I don't know who is on the whole thing, but it's much bigger than we've seen between the Annual report above and my shirt.

I haven't been able to find it online, but I know I have before.

The character whose knife is in Puck's face is called Splice, a one-time Wonder Man villain. He's the only one I couldn't recognise on the shirt.

I think it's been discussed on this forum in the past.

~ Le Messor
    "People will buy anything that's one to a customer."
    ~ Sinclair Lewis

Thanks guys. I'm thinking Ron Lim too. It's just very Ron Limmy. Wow I'd love a pic of the t-shirt - could you post an image? It would show more of the image than just the part I cut and pasted from that issue.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    Wow I'd love a pic of the t-shirt - could you post an image?
    Ask me again in a week. When my parents get back, I can probably arrange for one. (Until then, I don't have access to a camera and someone I'd feel comfortable asking to take a pic of me in a comic shirt. The only other person I can think of I'd ask that is overseas right now.)
    It might not show much, though. If I wore it, it'd go around the shoulders and stuff; if I laid it flat, I'm not sure I could get a decent pic.

I could also put it on my scanner, but I don't have high hopes for that working well - and I'd have to do it in pieces. My scanner's small enough it could probably wear the shirt.

~ Le Messor
    "It's not my interest to pay the principal, nor my principal to pay the interest."
    ~ Richard Brinsley Sherida