Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time To Put A F-Fork in the FF?

Default Time To Put A F-Fork in the FF?

Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

It is based on rumour, but Rich is right about this kind of thing 75-80% of the time so I reckon there's something in the works.

However I think it'll probably be more like the Heroes Reborn Universe where they're shunted across for a fixed piece of time, if it happens.

I think the problem with the FF is that newer readers aren't able to associate with the characters. Reed, who is the main character, is this significantly older gentleman, who is so overly intelligent. Sue is often written as this clinging wife. Human Torch and Thing are about the only two people can associate to, but they're so frequently over shadowed by Reed and Sue. We actually talked about the FF in one of our episodes (I think the first one, "And Now Marvel Now"), where I specifically talk about that.

http://comicreliefpodcast.com/archives/52

Really the FF and even Iron Man have the same problem. For years they've been doing stories where the FF time-travel with ease, do brilliant things, go to other dimensions on a whim, use energy light years beyond what we have now, teleport themselves from place to place, and so on. They even have friends who built a whole 'nother Earth. Iron Man flies to other planets with his suit only, has 15 renewable energy resources of his own, incredible weapons, medicines that can save anyone, and fights people who are incredibly smart and can inject themselves with stuff to become superheroes overnight. Then Stark and the FF live in a world full of pollution, war, disease, fossil fuels, and readers go "huh, they have superior technology, Stark is an industrialist, all are environmentalists, yet they won't share or sell their knowledge, drugs, or technology? None lift a finger to make the world a better place?" Hard to believe in a story where the protagonists have a piece of heaven but 8 billion people are left digging ditches, driving rusty cars, working in sloppy diners, pumping gas….
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Meh... good ridance for now. I've never been a fan of FF. I find the characters to one-dimension, but I'll admit I've read very little about them. I've seen them mostly on TV. Reed is the geek dad, Sue the overprotective mom, Thing the older son with acne issues and Torch the annoying cocky son. Meh... I was happy when they killed Torch cause I thought maybe it would heavily changed things, but alas...

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

You didn't actually think the 'death' of the Torch would last, did you?

Me, I have a different take. I'm no fan or reader of the F4 either (though I did just come within 2 issues of complete a run of #200-#300). I read FF for a little while, like 12 issues or so, but it managed to be both boring and offensive at the same time. I admired the talent it took to pull that combination off - you'd think the offense alone would make it interesting - but ultimately, just dropped the title.

BUT - the Fantastic Four is Marvel's first family, literally. I think it's really sad if something that shouldn't even affect the comics (movies) is being allowed to do this to their oldest title. And taking with it Doom and the Skrulls, et al. I can't get behind that decision, even if I don't read F4 right now. Those like me who aren't interested can just not read it; but now those who do like it have no choice.

And those who think it's a Marvel institution (me) are left in the cold a little.

~ Le Messor
    "He loves nature in spite of what it did to him."
    ~ Forrest Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    You didn't actually think the 'death' of the Torch would last, did you?
    Me, I have a different take. I'm no fan or reader of the F4 either (though I did just come within 2 issues of complete a run of #200-#300). I read FF for a little while, like 12 issues or so, but it managed to be both boring and offensive at the same time. I admired the talent it took to pull that combination off - you'd think the offense alone would make it interesting - but ultimately, just dropped the title.
    BUT - the Fantastic Four is Marvel's first family, literally. I think it's really sad if something that shouldn't even affect the comics (movies) is being allowed to do this to their oldest title. And taking with it Doom and the Skrulls, et al. I can't get behind that decision, even if I don't read F4 right now. Those like me who aren't interested can just not read it; but now those who do like it have no choice.
    And those who think it's a Marvel institution (me) are left in the cold a little.
    ~ Le Messor
    "He loves nature in spite of what it did to him."
    ~ Forrest Tucker
    I have a ton of much older issues FF... and then there was somewhere around early 200's where I read it, for about two years... And it was good, because the art was clean. And it wasn't so super, wild crazy technology. I think now, current FF, it suffers from as Mokole said. I mean Mokole nailed it. That really is a part of why I feel so disconnected to FF. They're also so seemingly perfect. I mean, with Iron Man, at least he had his alcholism. Pym has had quite a few issues, despite his ground breath size changing serums. But the FF? They seem to be this great family, with great powers, who do these amazing feats, and yet there's a huge disconnect between them and the rest of the people on the world that they're supposed to be heroes to.

I enjoyed Byrne's FF but that's about it.

He struck the right balance of fun and feuding for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole View Post
    Really the FF and even Iron Man have the same problem. For years they've been doing stories where the FF time-travel with ease, do brilliant things, go to other dimensions on a whim, use energy light years beyond what we have now, teleport themselves from place to place, and so on. They even have friends who built a whole 'nother Earth. Iron Man flies to other planets with his suit only, has 15 renewable energy resources of his own, incredible weapons, medicines that can save anyone, and fights people who are incredibly smart and can inject themselves with stuff to become superheroes overnight. Then Stark and the FF live in a world full of pollution, war, disease, fossil fuels, and readers go "huh, they have superior technology, Stark is an industrialist, all are environmentalists, yet they won't share or sell their knowledge, drugs, or technology? None lift a finger to make the world a better place?" Hard to believe in a story where the protagonists have a piece of heaven but 8 billion people are left digging ditches, driving rusty cars, working in sloppy diners, pumping gas….
    Well, if they FORCE people to take and use what they come up with, even if in order to make a better planet, then they are just despots. Power corrupts. I think both the FF and iron man believe in democracy, so that works for me. I've read the old Squadron Supreme series (and own it! An awesome slice of work!) and i know what happens when heroes think they can make the world a better place by force.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    It is based on rumour, but Rich is right about this kind of thing 75-80% of the time so I reckon there's something in the works.

However I think it'll probably be more like the Heroes Reborn Universe where they're shunted across for a fixed piece of time, if it happens.
    I'm thinking this goes along with the Big Event coming up in the future, where two worlds collide and become one. I imagine we will be left with a world where there is no Fantastic Four, or something like that. Marvel will bring them back in five or ten years, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    I've read the old Squadron Supreme series (and own it! An awesome slice of work!) and i know what happens when heroes think they can make the world a better place by force.
    One of the BEST limited series - EVER. I just purchased the Omnibus that collects those 12 issues, plus Captain America #314 (when Nightwing comes to ask for Cap's help) and A Death of A Universe. All for like 20 bucks. A solid book. So worth it.

I think that Marvel should look at the (upcoming?) FF movie as a challenge/chance to show the reading followers that they can produce a product that is vastly superior to the one on the big screen. Don't let it replace all of those years and stories that have been put in print.

And yes, the Squadron Supreme series was great!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    (when Nightwing comes to ask for Cap's help)
    I suspect you mean Nighthawk - Kyle Richmond - there. If it was Nightwing, two worlds collided wayyyy ahead of schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
    And yes, the Squadron Supreme series was great!
    Yes. Yes it was. I just got the Omnibus. Well worth the 20 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I suspect you mean Nighthawk - Kyle Richmond - there. If it was Nightwing, two worlds collided wayyyy ahead of schedule.
    Him too. LOL