Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Crackity Jones' Discovery Of Alpha Flight

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crackity Jones View Post
    And am I missing something? Because it keeps being mentioned how Heather went from Mac's secretary, to lover, to wife.
    That is not how I recall it. There was no time for "lover" to be a separate mention.
    No, you're not missing anything. You're not out of order. The Bill Mantlo's out of order! The whole frickin' system is out of order! Marvel is out of order! Justice is out of order! The vending machine next to the men's room, that sells candies and coke is out of order!

Didn't they get married, like, the next day?
    It wasn't quite that quick.
    Volume 2 even has a -1 issue that deals with their marriage, but...

I feel like somebody stole my characters and replaced them with strangers.
    Welcome to my nightmare.
    That's pretty much how I feel about not only Mantlo's run, but v2 as well. In fact, all the post-1 volumes (some of them just had more enjoyable strangers than others).

v1 does get better, though (imho). Just, not in a hurry. And it'll never be as good as it was under Byrne.

~ Le Messor
    "Most of the evils of life arise from man's being unable to sit still in a room."
    ~ Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    No, you're not missing anything. You're not out of order. The Bill Mantlo's out of order! The whole frickin' system is out of order! Marvel is out of order! Justice is out of order! The vending machine next to the men's room, that sells candies and coke is out of order!
    I read that as "candles and coke" at first.

Welcome to my nightmare.
    That's pretty much how I feel about not only Mantlo's run, but v2 as well. In fact, all the post-1 volumes (some of them just had more enjoyable strangers than others).

v1 does get better, though (imho). Just, not in a hurry. And it'll never be as good as it was under Byrne.
    Thanks for the reassurance. I am going to read #34. Knowing that Puck is really just has the whatever-of-some-sword living in him that has shrunk and causes his pain. I guess Mantlo thought our imaginations needed that? Puck needed some sort of history boost?

Oh! I forgot that scan I was going to post yesterday (or some day, don't remember). I had to read this a few times to convince myself Heather wasn't completely heartless.

The most bizarre thing about the Puck storyline, and Mantlo's run as a whole, is that in the Amazing Heroes interview with him & Byrne for the switch-over he seemed so knowledgeable and respectful of Byrne's run and seemed to have loads of good, respectful ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    The most bizarre thing about the Puck storyline, and Mantlo's run as a whole, is that in the Amazing Heroes interview with him & Byrne for the switch-over he seemed so knowledgeable and respectful of Byrne's run and seemed to have loads of good, respectful ideas...
    What happened???

Because Heather just got even WORSE in #34.
    This is really bad.

Images

Heather won't get better, I'm afraid.
    It will be a little better during Mantlo's run, but mostly it's after that that things get good again.
    Hey, you'll eventually get to Jim Lee's first artwork for Marvel. If you stick around long enough.

~ Le Messor
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    ~ Winston Churchill

Heather won't get better, I'm afraid.
    *cries*
    But I loved her so much under Byrne. How Mantlo wrote her was just STUPID.

Now, apparently, Mac not only KNEW about Wolverine's Adamantium skeleton, but knew before they "met" Wolverine on their honeymoon. Or something. Who knows. He's turned her into an indecisive idiot ("could I love Wolverine? Maybe? If I didn't love Mac. But MAC LIED!BUTILOVEMAC") who is seeking, rather openly, how to be decisive (TRAIN ME, I AM THE LEADER), but it's such failure.
    Yet again, a writer at Marvel proves he has no idea how to write a strong female character. *sigh*.

It will be a little better during Mantlo's run, but mostly it's after that that things get good again.
    Hey, you'll eventually get to Jim Lee's first artwork for Marvel. If you stick around long enough.
    Oh, I'll be sticking around. At least I am going to try damn hard to. I love too many of these characters not to read the rest. Curiosity on how bad they get screwed up would kill me if I stopped reading it now.
    I am going to wait it out to see what he has in store for Aurora and Northstar, Bochs/Box, and Jeffries.
    But how he reinvented Puck and Heather is just killing me. But at least Puck is back to his original state. Heather is the girl everyone is in love with who cannot decide if she wants to be mean, nice, or just feel super awful for herself.

Oh, and it appears Shaman is back.
    Cannot wait to see HIS new Mantlo suit.

Images

I am going to wait it out to see what he has in store for Aurora and Northstar, Bochs/Box, and Jeffries.
    Oh, and it appears Shaman is back. Cannot wait to see HIS new Mantlo suit.
    Mik lets a single manly tear roll down his cheek.

I don't mind Northstar and Aurora so far, in fact, I like the use of Northstar's snark towards Heather (she freaking deserves it, imo, but wouldn't if Mantlo hadn't written her the way he did).

I read that as "candles and coke" at first.
    S'okay, I read it as "drugs and candy".

Where are The Daves when you really need 'em?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    S'okay, I read it as "drugs and candy".
    I promise not to bring them for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Where are The Daves when you really need 'em?
    "RAZETHETOWNMY****CAKES!"

Images

I don't mind Northstar and Aurora so far, in fact, I like the use of Northstar's snark towards Heather (she freaking deserves it, imo, but wouldn't if Mantlo hadn't written her the way he did).
    Not to 50! Not to 50!

I promise not to bring them for dinner.

"RAZETHETOWNMY****CAKES!"
    Ah...my grin could not get any bigger.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

I am going to tell myself that Heather is just in a different stage of grieving. Like, that weird stage that must occur at some point after losing your significant other, where you convince yourself that you are better than, and it's okay to talk poorly about, your deceased significant other.

Images

Ah, yes, the stages of grief:
    Denial Bargaining Depression AcceptanceWrath Envy Pride Pestilence War Famine Death Slaughter Dopey Sneezy