Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Crackity Jones' Discovery Of Alpha Flight

Since I am awfully down on Mantlo's run, I thought I'd point out some of the GOOD things that I have gotten from his run (or some of the better things, anyway):

*Northstar's Snark: Undoubtedly probably one of my most favorite parts of his run was Northstar's snark with Heather and others on the team. He had every right, usually, to be a snarky jerk, especially with all the "joking" and "teasing" that went on about his sexuality.

*Marrina and Namor: Namor is one of my favorite characters, so I love seeing him in other books whenever and wherever possible. Lately, I'm kind of used to seeing Namor written out of character (New Avengers, mostly), so Mantlo writing him somewhat out of character didn't bother me so much because at least he wasn't made to look like a complete jerk. However, Namor SHOULDN'T HAVE TO chase women (corrected for all you Sue Storm fans *HUGE SIGH*). And, honestly, while I found it kind of sweet that he was "willing" to take in Marrina and her pustule babies, that didn't quite sit right with me either. 1. Marrina is just as awesome in the ocean as Namor. She may not have his strength, but she can navigate around in the ocean and swim just as well. 2. Taking in Marrina and her pustule babies like she is a charity case of love? His kingdom was broken and he was the creepy lovesick one.<---this is how Namor was written out of character. Sure, Namor's kingdom is typically broken somehow as it brings him back to land where writers are more comfortable writing him (Roy Thomas was one of the only ones who ever could write him in Atlantis well), but chasing Marrina is nonsense. But the few books from that situation were actually funny to me. Lovesick Namor is hilarious.

*Goblyn: I LOVE GOBLYN. I agree with FP about her creation and things wrong with all of that, but I freaking love Goblyn anyway. LOVE HER.

I'm sure there are some other minor things that are positive that I have taken from Mantlo's run, but those are the major things for me.
    Last edited by Crackity Jones; 07-08-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackity Jones View Post
    *Goblyn: I LOVE GOBLYN. I agree with FP about her creation and things wrong with all of that, but I freaking love Goblyn anyway. LOVE HER.
    I'm sure there are some other minor things that are positive that I have taken from Mantlo's run, but those are the major things for me.
    I am glad you like Goblyn.

Really, Tawmis?
    That's all you've got? :P

Really, Tawmis?
    That's all you've got? :P
    Well in regards to that, yes. I don't want to say too much, because there's still more ahead for you to read.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

She's what I consider a crazy-fun villain, though.
    I think of her as a bizarre combination of Freddy Krueger and the Joker.

Now I'm all distracted by your Nick Cave reference. <3
    Be on the look-out for a tall, handsome man in a dusty black coat...

To wear the elephant, I'd have to wear the snake that has eaten him, and that is what makes this all impossible.
    Actually, all you have to do is use the snake as a sort of wrap / stole. A scale boa!
    It makes it easier, because that's what straps the elephant down.
    Do I have to think of everything?

definitely longer by today's standards. Unless you're Bendis. Then his runs are unfortunately, entirely, too long.
    Really? I don't have that problem with him.
    I just look at a book, or am told about it, see the word 'Bendis' on the cover, and never read it. No problem.

I'm good at that.
    See, with pressure (unlike 'little things', where I can only get Alice Cooper or Galaxy Quest), I can think of three songs to quote just like that! (snaps fingers)

A chance to hate her more, or a chance to...unhate her?
    A chance to not hate v2.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    #66 is Mantlo's last issue, #63 was a fill-in/precursor.
    It's... different.
    Sorry, Crackity - I confused you there. When I went looking for the end of Mantlo's run, I stopped looking at the first Hudnall issue I found, and wasn't quite sure (and didn't check) if he'd done a fill-in before he took over entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Ugh. That issue with the courtroom... Just... ugh.
    Reacting to a court ruling with violence... So poorly written, and so much the reason why so many people in-universe hate and fear superheroes.

Namor doesn't chase women.
    I'm gonna GUESS that's all based on his thing with Sue.

~ Le Messor
    "There are no scars on your face, and you cannot handle pressure."
    ~ Billy Joel

Can we just forget the thing with Sue?
    I know that's, like, a huge part of his history, and I'm probably the ONLY Namor fan who doesn't want to see him trying to steal some man's woman because it makes him "interesting and sexy". Because it doesn't.
    Lady Dorma is where it's at for Namor.

Actually, I don't mind the Sue thing, but then, you know, OTHER writers had to run with that and soon he's trying to "steal" Emma Frost from Cyclops, and now he has this reputation for falling in love with blondes and being a woman stealer.
    And it's not how he is.

If Marvel would just bring back Lady Dorma, this would all go away.

Ugh.
    NOW I AM COMPLAINING ABOUT ALL TEH THINGS AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I think of her as a bizarre combination of Freddy Krueger and the Joker.
    That's freaking awesome right THERE. You need say NO MORE about DreamQueen. I am sure I will love her.

Be on the look-out for a tall, handsome man in a dusty black coat...
    *sigh* I love Nick Cave

Actually, all you have to do is use the snake as a sort of wrap / stole. A scale boa!
    It makes it easier, because that's what straps the elephant down.
    Do I have to think of everything?
    I am not following you on how this rids the snake of the elephant's weight?

Really? I don't have that problem with him.
    I just look at a book, or am told about it, see the word 'Bendis' on the cover, and never read it. No problem.
    I know. I cannot stand his X-Men. His NOT X-Men. blah.

See, with pressure (unlike 'little things', where I can only get Alice Cooper or Galaxy Quest), I can think of three songs to quote just like that! (snaps fingers)
    hahahaha. YESSSSSS.

A chance to not hate v2.
    YAY! Do bad things happen to Purple Girl???

Sorry, Crackity - I confused you there. When I went looking for the end of Mantlo's run, I stopped looking at the first Hudnall issue I found, and wasn't quite sure (and didn't check) if he'd done a fill-in before he took over entirely.
    That, sir, is mistake #3. You're racking 'em up. You OWE ME.

Reacting to a court ruling with violence... So poorly written, and so much the reason why so many people in-universe hate and fear superheroes.
    I just hated that scene. FALSE HOPE IT GAVE ME. FALSE HOPE. *cries*

However, Namor doesn't chase women.
    Somebody should tell Susan Storm that, 'cause I don't think she ever got that memo.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Somebody should tell Susan Storm that, 'cause I don't think she ever got that memo.
    I block out the Sue Storm huge chunk of his history.
    *sigh*
    I am going to go back and edit JUST FOR YOU.
    Since INTERNETIS4EVAR.

I block out the Sue Storm huge chunk of his history.
    *sigh*
    I am going to go back and edit JUST FOR YOU.
    Since INTERNETIS4EVAR.
    Wow. I'm a Sue Storm fan now? Hey, always the last one to know, that's me! Now, if somebody tells me I secretly love Bendis, I'm gonna stop buying Marvel altogether (Oh, no, wait - i already DID stop buying Marvel comics...).
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Wow. I'm a Sue Storm fan now? Hey, always the last one to know, that's me! Now, if somebody tells me I secretly love Bendis, I'm gonna stop buying Marvel altogether (Oh, no, wait - i already DID stop buying Marvel comics...).
    I was just covering ALLLLL the POSSIBLE Sue Storm fans who may, one day, stumble upon my HAPPY-POSITIVE-POST that you didn't even enjoy. You picked it apart and found my mistake.
    I didn't actually know if you were a Sue Storm fan or not.

I was just covering ALLLLL the POSSIBLE Sue Storm fans who may, one day, stumble upon my HAPPY-POSITIVE-POST that you didn't even enjoy. You picked it apart and found my mistake.
    I didn't actually know if you were a Sue Storm fan or not.
    Sorry. I'm a supervisor, picking out mistakes is what they hire me to do. I guess i just did it here, too. My apologies. And, btw, you had a very lovely post.

Sorry. I'm a supervisor, picking out mistakes is what they hire me to do. I guess i just did it here, too. My apologies. And, btw, you had a very lovely post.
    And hair, too, I have nice hair.