Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Crackity Jones' Discovery Of Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Hey Crackity (should we call you that?),

A very warm welcome to the site and thank you for joining!

It's always refreshing to hear of new 'Flight fans.

There's also an Introduction Thread but it's pretty stale by now, so this thread is a great idea
    Hi, Phil!

Thanks for welcoming me.

I'm thinking I should have titled this thread "Crackity Jones' discovery of Alpha Flight", and just turned it into my kind of "log" of each Alpha Flight issue I read. And you all could join me on my journey to discovering the awesome that is Alpha Flight.
    You could feel happy for me when I reach the highs of certain stories, and bad for me when I reach the low points.

Right now, I'm entering Mantlo's AF run. And from what other fans have told me, it's going to suck.
    But, I'm trying to go into it with no preconceived notions and a clear mind so I can judge for myself.
    But I'm a little nervous. Just coming off the high (well it was awesome to me, anyway) of Byrne's run, I don't really want my Alpha Flight ruined.

I was on issue...I think it was #24 or #25, and I went on Amazon.com to order the 4th TPB...only to realize I couldn't find it.
    Because it doesn't exist.
    Then I looked up Byrne's Alpha Flight only to find out that he stopped writing and arting it at #28.

Why must all the nice things eventually be taken from us?

Quote Originally Posted by Crackity Jones View Post
    I'm thinking I should have titled this thread "Crackity Jones' discovery of Alpha Flight", and just turned it into my kind of "log" of each Alpha Flight issue I read. And you all could join me on my journey to discovering the awesome that is Alpha Flight.
    You could feel happy for me when I reach the highs of certain stories, and bad for me when I reach the low points.
    As if by magic...

Right now, I'm entering Mantlo's AF run. And from what other fans have told me, it's going to suck.
    But, I'm trying to go into it with no preconceived notions and a clear mind so I can judge for myself.
    But I'm a little nervous. Just coming off the high (well it was awesome to me, anyway) of Byrne's run, I don't really want my Alpha Flight ruined.
    I still stick by Mantlo's run.
    I don't think it sucks, it's just... very... different to Byrne's run.
    There are definite things I disagree with but I still enjoy it as it's own thing.

I was on issue...I think it was #24 or #25, and I went on Amazon.com to order the 4th TPB...only to realize I couldn't find it.
    Because it doesn't exist.
    Yeah, there's only ever really been demand for the Byrne material and even that's minimal in the grand scheme of fandom.
    Maybe with Mignola and later Lee's artwork the run might continue to be collected but it's a slim chance at the moment...

<3
    You're the best, Tawmis. Really, you are.
    I bet you say that to all the Tawmis' and Adam-X's you know...
    Which, come to think of it, is probably just me!

I'm still waiting for you to tell me to shut up about them one of these days. ha.
    That is not going to happen!

You KNOW I am going to be posting about everything I read. I just read the Hulk issue in volume 3 TPB, and am getting ready to start #29 (which I didn't realize was in the TPB, so I ordered the single). I'm hesitant to start it, though, as it'll be my last in order Alpha Flight until the rest of my books arrive.
    Heh. Looking forward to your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    That X-Men and Alpha Flight "The Gift" story from the Asgardian Wars takes place between AF 22 and 23. Seeing those two covers again makes me wish Paul Smith would have taken over pencilling AF after Byrne left.
    Agreed. Wasn't he off doing X-Men at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Hey Crackity (should we call you that?),
    A very warm welcome to the site and thank you for joining!
    It's always refreshing to hear of new 'Flight fans.
    There's also an Introduction Thread but it's pretty stale by now, so this thread is a great idea
    She was worried (because she claims to be shy!) that folks might tear her apart here.

I told her that we're all a friendly bunch here.

Well, it's not that it sucks. It's just - clearly - a very different direction for Alpha Flight. I enjoy when (writers/artists) switch - and it's a smooth transition. This, however, felt like whiplash. It immediately feels like he hits the ground running - in a very different direction that what we saw previously with Byrne. Kind of like a rollercoaster - it's up and down up and down - and then - BLAM - a hard right that jerks you to the side. You can still enjoy the ride, but it's quite different.

I'm going to reply to this later, but I was wondering, where/how do I switch it so that my posts read from oldest up top, to newest at the bottom?
    Or is this the way it is and it's not changeable.

Phil, you are awesome for changing the thread title-THANK YOU! <3

AH HA! I found it in my general settings. You are most helpful, rplass, thank you!

AH HA! I found it in my general settings. You are most helpful, rplass, thank you!
    Yes, Rob is pretty helpful around here. As are Phil and Legerd and many, many others. We're more than community, we are family - think "Dead Poet's Society", only without Robin Williams (actually, any one of us here COULD be Robin Williams...).

You're gonna enjoy it here, Crackity. I stopped by in 2007, and now I am (stuck?) here every day!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I bet you say that to all the Tawmis' and Adam-X's you know...
    Which, come to think of it, is probably just me!
    As a matter of fact, I do! And as a matter of fact, you ARE.

That is not going to happen!
    Because you're the best.

Heh. Looking forward to your thoughts!
    I actually LIKED #29. I didn't think it was bad at all, really. Different, but not bad.
    It was Mantlo's first AF issue, yes? If so, I could tell it was a "take over" issue, and that he was going somewhere...else with it. But, it's only his first issue that I've read, but it was not bad, imo.

She was worried (because she claims to be shy!) that folks might tear her apart here.

I told her that we're all a friendly bunch here.
    I typically *AM* shy! Because when I try NOT to be I do things like, oh, I don't know, forget to read rules and ask two questions that could have been answered if I had read things properly.
    Yes, everyone has been super friendly so far.

Well, it's not that it sucks. It's just - clearly - a very different direction for Alpha Flight. I enjoy when (writers/artists) switch - and it's a smooth transition. This, however, felt like whiplash. It immediately feels like he hits the ground running - in a very different direction that what we saw previously with Byrne. Kind of like a rollercoaster - it's up and down up and down - and then - BLAM - a hard right that jerks you to the side. You can still enjoy the ride, but it's quite different.
    I will be the judge of these things, Tawmis! :P
    I just need my characters. Because that's all I care about. Right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Yes, Rob is pretty helpful around here. As are Phil and Legerd and many, many others. We're more than community, we are family - think "Dead Poet's Society", only without Robin Williams (actually, any one of us here COULD be Robin Williams...).

You're gonna enjoy it here, Crackity. I stopped by in 2007, and now I am (stuck?) here every day!
    Seven years ago? Wow.
    I cannot believe 2007 was SEVEN YEARS AGO.
    The older I get, the more time means something, but the faster it goes.

And YAY! FAMILY! <3

Welcome, and of course we'll be glad to hear your thoughts, commentary, and ideas. Me, I'm a Box, Nemesis, Feedback and Puck fan mostly.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    Welcome to the board
    Thank you, -K-M-!

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole View Post
    Welcome, and of course we'll be glad to hear your thoughts, commentary, and ideas. Me, I'm a Box, Nemesis, Feedback and Puck fan mostly.
    Thanks, Mokole.
    I don't believe I have a solid favorite character right now. I love them all for various reasons, but if I was forced to pick a fave, I'd have to say Mac. I bawled like a little b!+ch when he died, and Heather's mourning ripped my heart out, I think, for a bit. And even if I didn't care for the series, I probably would have continued to read it just so I could eventually read Mac's comeback. Which still hasn't happened (where I am at). I was hugely let down when Not Mac showed up in the books.
    When Heather was walking with Talisman/Elizabeth and thought she spotted Mac, I was SO EXCITED.
    That whole thing makes me emotional. I even bothered to get scans of it.
    I was fooled by Not Mac up until the moment I noticed that he was having each individual Omega Flight member beat the Alphans at the mall. But I was in denial until the face was tore off in front of Heather. *sigh*.

Anyway, I am starting the X-Men and Alpha Flight: The Gift story (the two part mini thing) today.
    Because: X-Men, New Mutants, AND Alpha Flight? Yes, plz.

I was fooled by Not Mac up until the moment I noticed that he was having each individual Omega Flight member beat the Alphans at the mall. But I was in denial until the face was tore off in front of Heather. *sigh*.
    Ah yes. AF 26. I was fooled also. What a cruel joke Byrne did. When I first saw the cover to AF 26 back in 1985, I was like, what the heck? Diamond Lil, Flashback, and Wild Child have defeated Alpha Flight?! But here comes Guardian and he's going to wipe those smirks off their faces and put the smack down on Omega Flight and rescue Alpha Flight. So I open the book and start reading the story and seeing that familiar white hand and electromagnetic energy at the defeat of each Alphan, and thought it can't be. Maybe Omega Flight has brainwashed Mac. And then the final reveal of Delphine Courtney at the end. What trickery.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ah yes. AF 26. I was fooled also. What a cruel joke Byrne did. When I first saw the cover to AF 26 back in 1985, I was like, what the heck? Diamond Lil, Flashback, and Wild Child have defeated Alpha Flight?! But here comes Guardian and he's going to wipe those smirks off their faces and put the smack down on Omega Flight and rescue Alpha Flight. So I open the book and start reading the story and seeing that familiar white hand and electromagnetic energy at the defeat of each Alphan, and thought it can't be. Maybe Omega Flight has brainwashed Mac. And then the final reveal of Delphine Courtney at the end. What trickery.
    It was beyond cruel, it was DEVASTATING.
    When Mac came back with that freaking weird alien story, I thought it was really out there, but, you know, AF can be kind of out there. But then when he spoke to Heather the way he did, I thought something was a bit off (when he was like, "I thought you'd get it Heather, but apparently you DIDN'T!"), but I figured it was just overwhelming for him to tell this story and then deal with being alive and back on earth.
    Guess I was just so happy that Mac was back.

When he kissed Heather, I thought, "Ahhh. There is balance again. Everything is right in the world."

But, NO. It was Not Mac. I was pissed.

Now when (if?) Mac truly comes back, I probably won't believe it. Now I'm all jaded.

Also, kind of unrelated: I love Heather, but uh, does anyone every talk about the kind of stalker-ish/creepy way her and Mac hooked up?
    Even reading that, I thought it was sweet, but, you know, kind of creepy.
    She runs into him as he loses his job, then she just shows up at his place with groceries and, like, the second sentence out of her mouth is a suggestion of marriage.

I'm glad they got married because they're, like, one of my favorite Marvel couples, but still. Most guys would have run for their lives if a lady acted like that.
    Does that weird behavior ever come out in Heather again? That just seemed a little tweaky-in-the-head to me when I read it.

Does that weird behavior ever come out in Heather again? That just seemed a little tweaky-in-the-head to me when I read it.
    HAHAHHAHAHAH... Read on, sistah, read on...