Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Convention disaapointment

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Cool find, Rob!
    Is it in colour?

Yeah, the actual comics are collected. It's not really a re-print - it's more like a thick softcover binding. As you flip through it, you see the difference in paper quality from the pulp to the high gloss used on the Epic #1 issue. Also some of those issues were the kind where you flip over the book, so many of the pages are upside down. It's completely wacky and I love it.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Picked up a great piece at Special Edition: NYC yesterday. It's page 5 of Deadpool #60, which came out in 2001. This is the actual pencil and ink artwork used to make the page in the comic book. It's 11x17 and the only one of its kind in existence, so it's a very neat collectible. It features a guest appearance of Wild Child from Alpha Flight.

I had never seen this piece before online, and found out why: it was labeled "Gargoyle attacks Deadpool" by the art dealer, not "Wild Child attacks Deadpool" which is what I had been searching. For Deadpool original art, it was very reasonably priced, likely because Deadpool barely appears. But you've got it all there: the fastball special from Sauron, the speed lines on Wild Child's feet, a great view of a new costume for Wild Child and a self-contained "throw, land, bite, toss" sequence all on one page.

Collectors of original comic art know to flip over the art to see if there's any additional sketches or notes and I did find a very nice bonus! The artist had done a preliminary sketch of that prominent clawed hand that leaps out at the reader. Here's images of the piece I picked up, the final version as published, and the clawed hand sketch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deadpool60gargyole.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	4767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gargoyleprinted.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	4765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gargoylehand.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	4766
    Last edited by rplass; 06-07-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Images

Rob, NYC must be an amazing place to live as a comic collector! Amazing finds!

I've been to a lot of comic expos even in Toronto and never found stuff like that
    Last edited by -K-M-; 06-12-2015 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    Hi all,

Spent the day in Toronto today at the Toronto Comic Con. While I did pick up a few comics, I couldn't help but be a little puzzled at how little Alpha Flight stuff is available at the conventions I go to. Ive been to the TO con as mentioned, as well as Niagara and Fan Expo and it always like finding a rare gem when I stumble upon anything Alpha related. I find even locating just the comics to be quite the exercise which is weird because the one place I would think you would be able o find Alpha Flight merchandise is at a Canadian convention.

Is this just me?
    I think a lot of it has to do with - despite how much WE may love Alpha Flight - they're simply not popular, and thus don't bring in money, and thus comic vendors rarely haul them.

NYCC was fun, and I got a pretty nice thing: my first Byrne piece. It's a beaut, and a heck of a lot cheaper than I expected. It's Alpha Flight #4 page 4, and it came with both Byrnes original art with light pencil text, and a photocopy of the art with the final lettering. Here's both of them with the published page. The Byrne art page has the dealer's watermark on it because I lifted the image from his website. The actual page has more distinct pencilled letters and marking:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alpha flight-4-4.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	4923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alpha flight-4-5.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	4924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	af4p4.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	4925

It's my first Byrne piece and my first piece from AF v1! So it was really exciting to get these!

Images

Gah! You suck!

(Teasing! Teasing!)
    Congratulations, Rob.

~ Le Messor
    "Chance favors the prepared mind."
    ~ Louis Pasteur

Congrats!
    I'm glad it's in the hands of an actual AF fan!

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    my first piece from AF v1!
    Now that came as a surprise!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I'm glad it's in the hands of an actual AF fan!
    Yes, me too.

The funny part about the actual buying experience was that as I was about to pay, Jim Lee came over to the booth! The art dealer who I bought the Byrne piece from is the official rep for Jim Lee, and they were discussing a double page spread because a customer had asked for a portion of the page to be modified by Jim Lee so they could be displayed together seamlessly. The dealer just shrugged at me and said, "Listen, hold on, I have to take care of this." I said, "OK I know who that is. No problem." I was kept waiting an unusually long time on the sale but honestly, I kind of got a kick out of being there and watching Jim Lee discuss the art and how to get the seams to match up on the edges. It was really cool, and an unforgettable little side story to how I acquired the piece.

Images

That is a cool story!

I don't know if I'd recognise Jim Lee if I saw him. I've seen pictures, but that gives me only a vague idea of what he looks like. (I'd be wishing I had some of his Alpha Flight on me, to get an autograph, of course!)

I been looking at various cons in my area and now I am wondering how did cosplay become such a big thing that now there are "big time" cosplay people who are now becoming special guest to comic con's these days. just rambling on today. sorry
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    I been looking at various cons in my area and now I am wondering how did cosplay become such a big thing that now there are "big time" cosplay people who are now becoming special guest to comic con's these days. just rambling on today. sorry
    I don't know what caused Cosplay to become the thing that it is now.

But... you can probably blame social media. Especially InstaGram and Facebook. Some of these cosplayers (99.999999999% female) have like thousands to millions of followers (the more scantly dressed, the more {male} followers).

There's also shows, like King of the Nerds, where they have brought on DoomDoomKitty or whatever her name is - which brought Cosplayers a lot of attention (but the movement had happened before that show took off).

I will say, it's _very_ expensive to do proper cosplay. So kudos to those that go full out.

I have a pirate cosplay that I have upgraded over time and dumped a lot of money on... and recently pieced together a Starlord cosplay (but still need a better mask compared to the plastic one I have now).

And those are still expensive; but pretty basic. So there's some cosplay out there that ranges into the thousands of dollars. (And an insane amount of time customizing).

I applaud those people who go all out and do the cosplay thing. I seen some great ones before that I enjoyed looking at it all. I applaud those who enjoy using the wonderful world of imagination and their mindset to create characters/costumes to come alive. I didn't mean nothing bad by my comment, I just seen a couple cons promoting cosplayers as special guests and it just throws me off. grant it, they didn't have the best guests showing up in the first place. Who knows, maybe I will dress up as Puck, or as Red Wolf, or Bibleman one day.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max