Thread: 9 Comics You Should Read?

Default 9 Comics You Should Read?

Found this over at comicbookresources , so don't blame me! "The Nine Comics Everybody Should Be Reading"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=50922

I was pleased to be reading/collecting the first comic on the list, I absolutely love it.

As well, the 3rd comic on the list, I collected the first 16 issues before either (a) growing bored with it, or (b) having to downsize my monthly pull list.

Anybody else on this site fancy themselves a fan of any of these nine books?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S
    ?

... Because FP wasn't saying any names, and I'm gonna.

I've been reading Hinterkind; it's pretty good, but I wouldn't call it a must-read. Still, somehow I thought it'd be on this list.
    I've considered Astro City from time to time, but it looks a little SERIOUS for me. (I don't know, it's just an impression I get.) I've heard things that put me off, and things that make me want to read it.
    The picture they chose for Revival makes me really not want to read it.
    Red Team; the name Garth Ennis does the same thing for me.
    World's Finest looks interesting; I might, just might give it a go (though the Nu 52 hasn't been very good to me so far, and that's the one FP gave up on, isn't it?)

Overall, most of it looks uninteresting. And, between Hinterkind, that Revival pic, and a Garth Ennis title, I suspect the article writer likes the unpleasant stuff; which I don't. I don't think they're somebody whose advice I'd be taking about what I should be reading.

Still, World's Finest could be worth a look...

~ Le Messor
    "Maybe people don't want dolphins caught in tuna nets for the same reason that you wouldn't want dogs caught in your cow net."
    ~ Keith Carradine

World's Finest is the one title on that list that I read.

It's okay, and has a somewhat old school feel since it's written by Paul Levitz.

However, plotwise it seems to be spinning its wheels. Nothing much seems to be happening in terms of progression, almost like its just wasting time until some big crossover or something (with Earth-2, I would guess).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eberly View Post
    However, plotwise it seems to be spinning its wheels. Nothing much seems to be happening in terms of progression, almost like its just wasting time until some big crossover or something (with Earth-2, I would guess).
    I'm not sure if I have a problem with that. I'd have to read it to see what you mean, but I don't always feel like my comics need to be advancing every issue.

I have heard of people who think individual serieses are just wastes of time between events.

~ Le Messor
    "If you want the rainbow, you have got to put up with the rain."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I'm not sure if I have a problem with that. I'd have to read it to see what you mean, but I don't always feel like my comics need to be advancing every issue.
    Me neither, but this is a case of roughly 20 issues in and there hasn't been much advancement of any of the plots. It's not like Bendis decompression, it's more like...I don't know, Lost type decompression. But Paul Levitz is a good writer (not as good as his Legion of Super-Heroes days, but still...), and I do enjoy the stories. I'm just to the point where I'm ready for some payoff to the various plotlines. This is likely coming with Power Girl and Huntress finally meeting this Earth's Batman and Superman in the next couple issues.

Images

Ah, so it's more like Claremont-style dangling plotlines that never get resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Ah, so it's more like Claremont-style dangling plotlines that never get resolved?
    Not quite to that extent, and I feel that the plotlines will get resolved...I'm just ready for some of them to get resolved. Or at least progress.

One example is that Power Girl's powers have been unpredictably going on and off for at least a half dozen issues now. It hasn't gotten worse. It hasn't gotten better. We haven't gotten any clues as to why. It just...keeps going on going on...

(Again, I know the above is a negative, but I do like the title. It's kind of like the Lazy River at a water park. It's pleasant, but it's not going anywhere fast.)

Images

Okay - It still sounds worth maybe checking out.

The two main characters make for a good buddy-comic, no question, but I would also agree that after awhile the series seemed to be spinning its wheels and I never felt that it was a part of the regular universe enough (normally, i like comics that are more than a bit sequestered from regularity, but i sort of felt like the premise of this one was how the two would deal with being in a world they weren't born into...and then felt that was never really shown to my satisfaction...). For me, World's Finest was a great concept, that lacked direction within its actual construct.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/