Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avengers World and Validator

Default Avengers World and Validator

So, the free preview from Marvel Now for January of 2014 that I got from my LCS, it has a couple pages from Avengers World # 1.

It mentions Validator and her crew. Looks like that will be an ongoing story-line.

Unfortunately, she is referred to as "whatever USED to be Validator", and it is implied that she (or she and her team) have been changed into something different than what they once were. She is still in Regina, Canada.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

New Recruit
    South Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

If I was going to create an Avengers team oriented in Canada, I would probably use some of the following characters in some form: Vindicator, Guardian, Sasquatch, Shaman, Snowbird, Groundhog, Talisman, Yukon Jack, Major Mapleleaf, Marrina Smallwood and/or Validator. Team Alpha. Discussion welcomed here...

I would also create a team of Canadian mutants using characters like: Puck, Northstar, Aurora, Madison Jeffries (BOX), Diamond Lil, Windshear, Witchfire, Persuasion (Purple Girl), Wild Child, and even Stitch, Flex, Murmur, Radius a trainees. Team Omega. Also discussion welcomed here...

Encouraged discussion welcomed!

Is Puck a mutant?

New Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
    Is Puck a mutant?
    The "short" answer is yes. He is currently a member of the Marvel NOW ongoing series Uncanny X-Force.

New Recruit

The Marvel Wiki explains this differently, but he has commonly been referred to as a Mutant.

Originally, Puck had no superhuman powers, relying on his exceptional training. He was a formidable hand-to-hand combatant, capable of a mixture of various martial arts, street-fighting techniques, acrobatics and gymnastics. After a run-in with The Master of the World his body was subject to genetic manipulation of his cellular structure. His body tissues were condensed at a molecular level, causing his body to become akin to compressed rubber.

His trademark attack is a cartwheeling motion. Spinning on his hands and feet at great speeds, he is able to slam into and knock down human-sized enemies with ease. He is also skilled in bullfighting.

He has some knowledge of mysticism, enough to once trap Black Raazer, and the ability to put himself in a temporary deathlike trance state.

Puck is about half the size of the average man. His condition causes him varying amounts of constant pain.

Also, his aging has been stopped or vastly slowed; Judd resembles a man in his thirties (possible mutant gene).

His right ear is misshapen, presumably due to an old injury. It resembles the cauliflower ear condition.

SOURCE - Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puck_(comics)
    Last edited by marvelnowfansite; 12-27-2013 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Updated Information

Not to sound like a person in denial but I prefer the Byrne backstory to anything else. Here is a character who has taken a "disability" and turned himself into something better. Just because he appears in X-Factor doesn't necessarily mean he is a mutant (eg Moira MacTaggart). Alpha Flight was believed to be a mutant comic due to it's ties to the X-Men but not all of them were mutants either. Is Nick Fury a mutant because his aging process has been slowed down?

New Recruit

Not to sound like a person in denial but I prefer the Byrne backstory to anything else. Here is a character who has taken a "disability" and turned himself into something better. Just because he appears in X-Factor doesn't necessarily mean he is a mutant (eg Moira MacTaggart). Alpha Flight was believed to be a mutant comic due to it's ties to the X-Men but not all of them were mutants either. Is Nick Fury a mutant because his aging process has been slowed down?
    John Byrne is still on of my fav artists. That might make me old school and I am a HUGE fan of the original Alpha Flight series; but there is a new Marvel Comics NOW and some of our old fav characters have to update with the times.

I would love the original Alpha Flight team from their first full length series to return (and it could be done - topic for a different discussion), but this is a different Marvel Universe. People have died and came back. Some of them were Skrulls for years of characters we loved and got to know them. Before Marvel NOW everything is up in the air (or so we think).

The original Vindicator (James Hudson) could have been infected by the "techno-organic" transmode virus recording his DNA; or even replacing him long before the Skrull invasion.

But he isn't an x-gene mutant.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

New Recruit

Puck, like most original members of Alpha Flight (before mutants were popular) was endowed with mystical powers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puck_(comics) and was never a member of X-Factor. Many members of all the X-Titles ever published have NOT been mutants. Recently Omega Sentinel, Deathlok, Hepzibah, Fantomex, or even Longshot, Juggernaut and the "bamfs" are NOT mutants. Or at least not on Earth-616.

Just saying... its up to interpretation.

some of our old fav characters have to update with the times
    We shall have to agree to grossly disagree on this point, marvelnowfansite.

Your ideas for Canadian Avengers and a Canadian mutants team are good ones.

But, here is my idea; I'd like it if Marvel would sell all the Alpha Flight characters to a smaller comic company, and let somebody else write them in a good way. And that is all that I will say about that, other than...there is a reason I no longer buy any Marvel products.

But, to each their own.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marvelnowfansite View Post
    The "short" answer is yes. He is currently a member of the Marvel NOW ongoing series Uncanny X-Force.
    Completely incorrect. Just because he's with X-Force doesn't make him a mutant.

But the correct answer is no. As you pointed out in a later post, there have been many non-mutants on various X-teams. He is one of them.

The Marvel Wiki explains this differently, but he has commonly been referred to as a Mutant.
    Commonly where? I don't believe I have ever seen him even suggested he might possibly be a mutant.

Granted, I haven't read Uncanny X-Force so I don't know if he's been retconned there. If he has, then my respect for the creator did so just plummeted.

Also, his aging has been stopped or vastly slowed; Judd resembles a man in his thirties (possible mutant gene).

SOURCE - Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puck_(comics)
    I feel the need to address that you added the "(possible mutant gene)" part to the source material.

The ******ed aging thing was explained by the presence of Razer inside Puck for however many decades it was. Razer appears to be immortal and him being trapped in Puck's body caused him to stop aging. Once Razer was released, Puck assumed his regular age (though it seems more likely he would have just started aging normally, but hey...Mantlo.).

Then, wasn't there something about when he was trapped in The Dreamqueen's dimension that caused him to de-age again? It's been awhile since I read those issues. Or was it the genetic tinkering by The Master that gave him his "rubberized" powers that de-aged him. That would make more sense, as The Master was able to make himself immortal, he could probably do similar things with other people.

Anyway, Puck is not a mutant (until/if it is officially retconned, of course).

Wow...it censored my perfectly viable word that means: "Slowed-down"?

Well, that's re...tarter sauce. Mmmmm.