Thread: New Mutants/X-Force

Default New Mutants/X-Force

Back in the dim past of 1991, I sold my complete collection of New Mutants. #'s 1-100, Annual's #1-7, Special #1, and Summer Spectacular #1. The only thing I kept was the original Graphic Novel (geez, I love[d] those oversized things). It was the first title that I had all of that ended (AF was still going strong[?] at that time). Even though it was being replaced with X-Force, I felt somehow...betrayed. I know it's not rational, and I am certainly not the first person to have a title they loved end (boy, am I preaching to the choir here!), but I still took it personally. I vowed to never collect X-Force (a promise I've kept until...well, I'll get to that in a minute), and sold my entire New Mutants collection (though, admittedly, I did need rent money at the time. I was 18 and out on my own for the first time!). At this time, #87 (first appearance of Cable) was red hot, and netted me like $80 by itself. Funny enough, #98 (first appearance of Deadpool and today perhaps the most overvalued comic ever [a copy sold a couple years ago for $12,000, and it's still hard to find a copy under a couple hundred today, even though there are literally hundreds of thousands of copies out there]) pretty much got me cover price.

A couple months ago, I was browsing at one of the local comic shops in town. They were having a buy one, get one free special, and I was looking for some reading material. I came across the first half-dozen of New Mutants pretty cheap. BOGO made them even cheaper. I picked them up for nostalgia's sake, thinking I wouldn't get any more of them.

Boy, was I wrong. After reading them, I decided that I wanted to rebuild my classic New Mutants collection. Local comic shops, online retailers, and eBay got me almost the entire series (except that aforementioned #98...I'll find a reprint or read a scan they have on YouTube) for relatively little. I thought I would stop there...

Until today. Today I was flipping through the 50 cent boxes at the same shop I picked up the first six issues of New Mutants, looking for any hidden treasures (I found a bunch of New Universe comics from the 80's I almost picked up) when I came across X-Force #'s 1 and 2. It tickled my funny bone a bit that #1 was one of those hugely over-speculated issues (like adjectiveless X-Men #1 that sold a million copies, and everyone thought was going to pay for their college edumacation or their first home with was 50 cents. Not only that, I came across probably 4 or 5 more copies of #1 (all still in their sealed polybag). Plus #2, the second appearance of Deadpool, was also only 50 cents. You'd think if the first appearance was worth $12,000 at one point, and was still worth hundreds today, that #2 would at least go for $10. I'm sure if I dug through more of the 50 cent boxes, I could probably come up with a pretty big chunk of those early issues, but I just got those first two issues...for $1.08 after tax.

So today I broke my 22-year vow to never buy an issue of X-Force. I feel a little ashamed, a little dirty, but a little smug that I got this overhyped and overspeculated comic for about as cheap as you can get. I haven't decided yet if I will continue to get the back issues of X-Force, but we'll see after I read them at some point. Anyway, I think I might hear some D.P.7 and Psi-Force calling my name for now.

Postscript: I know there are a bunch of Alpha Flight issues (early Byrne issues included) in those cheap boxes. Some might be in the dollar boxes, though.

Good story!

As an aside, DP7 is an awesome comic! A lot of that New Universe stuff was pretty alright, most of it far better IMNHO (In My Non-Humble Opinion) than anything Marvel puts out today. New Universe allowed Marvel's writers to stretch their legs and play in an all-new sandbox, and boy did they do a great job!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

#98 is worth that much? Really?
    'coz, I've got a copy!

Also, I have the original NM graphic novel, and I've just got New Mutants classics #2 about a week ago (I already had #1).
    I really enjoy those first issues (haven't finished the second yet).

I won't go on, because with the Sienkiewicz stuff it got darker, and that's turned me off.

But, yeah, I enjoy the issues I have. Even if the Liefeld ones are completely different in tone and style to the originals.

~ Le Messor
    "LISP: To call a spade a thpade."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    #98 is worth that much? Really?
    'coz, I've got a copy!
    Yeah, a quick ebay scan of completed listings has graded 9.something issues selling for up to about $750. A 9.9 sold for around $3500. Ridiculous and completely bucking the laws of supply and demand. Oh, well...I always say something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

And I would no way endorse you scanning your copy of #98 and sending it to me in e-mail so I could print it out...nope. Not me. That would be grea---errr, wrong.

Also, I have the original NM graphic novel, and I've just got New Mutants classics #2 about a week ago (I already had #1).
    I really enjoy those first issues (haven't finished the second yet).

I won't go on, because with the Sienkiewicz stuff it got darker, and that's turned me off.
    Yeah, that era was pretty tough for me to back in the day. For some reason, I appreciated them more recently. Perhaps because, as dark as they were, they were still a bright, sunshiny day compared to a lot of stuff being put out today.

But, yeah, I enjoy the issues I have. Even if the Liefeld ones are completely different in tone and style to the originals.
    Yeah, I enjoyed them then, even though now I can see all the cliches and tropes of the 90's it featured...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eberly View Post
    And I would no way endorse you scanning your copy of #98 and sending it to me in e-mail so I could print it out...nope. Not me. That would be grea---errr, wrong.
    There are reprints!
    Okay, I'm actually considering it, but that'd probably ruin the comic!

Perhaps because, as dark as they were, they were still a bright, sunshiny day compared to a lot of stuff being put out today.
    You know it's sad but true. </Metallica>

Yeah, I enjoyed them then, even though now I can see all the cliches and tropes of the 90's it featured...
    Come to think of it, it probably didn't feature those clichés so much as create them!

~ Le Messor
    "Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity."
    ~ Oprah

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    I got a 9.6 version

Oh, I can definitely see the Liefeld there. And I mean that in a good way.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

I don't know what grade mine is; I bought it at the time and have hung onto it.

~ Le Messor
    "Little tip mate. A stake's your friend. Don't be afraid to use it."
    ~ Spike