Thread: Comics, Catfish, and Colours, pt 1

Threaded View

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default Comics, Catfish, and Colours, pt 1

(Minor language warning.)

A lot of you may have heard me rant against 'modern colouring'. I'm writing this to try to explain - thoughtfully, I hope - my problem with it.

First, I want to define the term. When I refer to 'modern colouring', I don't mean the 'bling' (as I call it) - the special effects, the depth of shading and highlighting that only became available in the days of Photoshop and computer tech.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01clpaint.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	2862
    and never before
    There are issues with the bling in that affect my problem, so I'll briefly cover it, but the bling isn't my problem. I like the bling.

My problem is with the palette; the choice of colours.

Simply, I find it too dark and too dreary.

No vibrancy or life, and almost always washed out - try to find more than one colour per page in a recent comic. Two, if they're pushing it. Try to find something that isn't in the hazy, 'olive' end of the hue.

Name:	02CCnow.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	2863
    Beautifully rendered colours, but so dreary.

Is that supposed to be a forest?

That's the Crimson Commando, btw:

Name:	03CCthen.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	2902
    I can't tell the difference in those reds…

Colour ranges:

Name:	05coloursthen.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	2903
    old and new

In a time when comics take themselves far too seriously, it seems like there's a ban on bright colours; as if bright colours can't be taken seriously, and therefore can't be popular.

Name:	07Simpsons.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	2867
    It’ll never sell.

In fact, good luck finding anything that isn't basically orange. So many comics these days just feel so orange.

Name:	08CurseoftheOrange.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	2868
    Orange is dry. Orange is dull.

It gives a post-Apocalyptic feel to the comics. Has an Apocalypse happened to the Marvel and DC universes, and we weren't told about it?

I don't see it nearly as much orange / earth tones in real life as in comics - in these days when realism is the buzzword. By the way, I live in Australia!

Name:	09RedCentre.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	2869
    If you can't get that much orange here, where can you get it?

I got into comics in the late 80s, when comics generally followed a bright but realistic palette. It's what I grew used to. Now, instead of this inviting, bright, vibrant world, it's all this dull, dreary, depressing post-Apocalypse. Always orange, always dull.

Name:	2Cols.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	2870
    Original vs. New & improved

The depth and detail of the colours in the second are far better rendered; but the colours themselves are duller and more washed out. Note the lack of white.

(This is far from the worst example, but one of the few where I've got new and old versions of the same image.)

Cognitive Dissonance and the Uncanny Valley
    There's a concept called 'uncanny valley' (which has nothing to do with the X-Men).

Name:	11Hankses.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	2871
    Tom Hanks: real, cartoon, CG
    The idea is that, if you want something to look right, you can either go completely human or completely inhuman. Just a little off, however, is wrong; it creates cognitive dissonance.

Name:	12Perception.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	2872
    That's why you can look at, say, C3P0 and not be completely put off; or you can look at a human being and not be put off… but those almost-human Japanese robots? <shudder>

That's where the bling causes problems. It looks just realistic enough that your mind tells you to expect realism in the colours; but you don't get it, so it tells you you're constantly looking through a filter. Something's wrong with the light!

Name:	pers.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	2901
    This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. This is supposed to be Persuasion; but instead of a purple-skinned girl, my mind has always told me this is a normal girl under very purple light. Since long before I began articulating this kind of thing, I've thought the solution would be, simply, to put another character next to her, with lighter (real) skin tones.

The bling also tends to cover up the drawings; but it's one kind of art vs. another.

Whether that's a problem or not is entirely subjective. Even more than everything else in this essay.

Your face is subjective!

Yeah. Thanks for that.

Worlds of Wonder
    One thing I always appreciate in my escapism is a world that I want to visit. A wondrous place that I like to spend time in - a lot of time. Month after month.

This new, dull world, that Marvel and DC give me is not that.

The problem there is, it's alienating. It happens on a subliminal level, but I just don't feel like I want to be part of the world I'm seeing. My emotions rebel, and bury themselves, and I'm not 'in' the comic… Just reading it, detached, like a detached guy.

Name:	13WilsonGloom.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	2873
    It's like living in this kind of gloom all the time.
    (This is Google Streetview of Wilson, North Carolina, near Vicks Elementary School.)

Name:	14SweetHome.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	2874
    I’d rather live here.
    … Wait a second, I do live here! How did they find my house?

These dreary-coloured worlds washed out in orange are not places I want to spend a lot of time in.

But all the video games are washed out in orange.

Name:	15DoomyDoomDoom.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	2875

If All Your Friends Were Named Cliff, Would You Jump Off Them?
    In the first place, games do that because of a memory problem trying to make a realistic colour scheme with multiple colours. I’m not going to explain it fully here, but the keyword is ‘radiosity’.

In the second, I’m not all that into games. Sorry. Citing them as an example won’t help.

You love movies, and they do the same thing!

True, I do. But not for that, and I’m not fond of the new black-and-white age of movies.

Name:	16MonochromeMovies.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	2876

NB: X-Men seem to be an exception; they often are a cold steel blue. It's no better than the orange.

You want a good way to do thematic colours? Try this movie:

Name:	17RotJ.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	2877
    A mildly successful film

This move was colour-coded; but not by timing the colours until it was effectively monochrome; they just made sure most of the colours they shot at any given 'location' were similar; the forest moon of Endor was greens, Tatooine was oranges and earth tones; Imperial areas were cold greys and blues. All the Star Wars movies pulled this off, but the last did it most obviously - and still well. Real life does that; most areas will be, basically, one colour - but not at the cost of all others.

For me, movies like Batman Forever and Superman Returns were unsuccessful as follow-ups in part because their colour schemes were so different to the originals (but note: that's only part of the reason).

Yes, yes, you're one of those people who hates orange and teal.

I've got nothing against those colours.

Sure you do. Teal is basically blue, and nothing frightens you more than the colour blue.

Uh... true. But that has nothing to do with movies!

It's because of a movie!

Okay, wise guy, it's got nothing to do with why I hate that movies are so overdependent on those colours!

It's artistic!

Did you just accuse Michael Bay of art?
    And when everybody is doing exactly the same thing, it ain't art.

It's realistic. Look out your window... Those colours exist in the real world.

Look out my window? Okay. I'll do that. I do see orange. I don't see teal, but the sky is a sort of bruised blue colour.
    You know what else I see? That I don't see in comics and movies anymore?
    Other colours.
    I see trees of green. Red roses, too. The colours of the rainbow, all pretty in the sky, are also on the faces of the people passing by.

You don't see all that.

Okay, Louis Armstrong I ain't... but the dominant colour I see right now is green. It often is. The outside isn't washed out in an orange-and-teal wasteland.

This:

Name:	18OF.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	2878

could never recapture the spirit of this:

Name:	19AF.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	2879

Further, every single jet has only red lighting:

Name:	20Jet.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	2907
    Who designed this thing, Cyclops?

And monitor rooms have none at all:

Name:	21Monitor.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	2908
    All that high-tech equipment, and you can't afford a light bulb?

Continued in part 2...
    Last edited by Le Messor; 02-14-2013 at 06:34 AM.