Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alphans in Wolverine:Season One?

Default Alphans in Wolverine:Season One?

Announced today at NYCC's retailer breakfast Wolverine is getting the Season One hardback treatment in June 2013, and Bleeding Cool have a few screenshots from the presentation including one which has a couple that could well be Mac & Heather:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WolvS1_a.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	2674

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

What is this Season One treatment of which you speak?

Oh, is that the retelling of the origins they did in the last year or two?

~ Le Messor
    Giles: It appears to be paranormal in origin.
    Buffy: How can you tell?
    Giles: Well, it's so shiny.

So Wolverine saved Mac and Heather from Wendigo? What?

Much better images over at Robot6. Phil, can we borrow them?
    The link is here

I agree with Phil that it very well could be Mac and Heather but quite a bit of a retcon.

But may Hodiak bless Rich Johnston for the iPhone snags during the presentation!
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

I find it interesting that although Wolverine cuts Wendigo on the chest, three horizontal cuts, we never see his claws out.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    Much better images over at Robot6. Phil, can we borrow them?
    The link is here
    Yeah, those images are sent from Marvel for general use so it's fine.
    Plus it's a thread rather than an article so it's fine.

I agree with Phil that it very well could be Mac and Heather but quite a bit of a retcon.
    It's not in continuity though, it's basically an interpretation of Wolverine's origin for the Disney market.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    It's not in continuity though, it's basically an interpretation of Wolverine's origin for the Disney market.
    Oh, good! Then we don't have to worry about ret-conning...
    Or is it? Somebody in the comments calls it a re-cap for the Disney crowd.

edit: the guy in the comments said 'for newcomers'... the one who said it was for the Disney market was you.
    Ewps.

OTOH, it wouldn't be too hard to make the retcon by saying 'yeah, that's what happened, but until now every time we've told that story we skipped the Wendigo part, because...'

I like the artwork, at least in b & w.
    And, yeah, that does look like Mac & Heather.

~ Le Messor
    "Isn't Disneyland a people trap operated by a mouse?"

Art looks pretty cool, and it definitely looks like Mac and Heather. Cudos to the artist that they are recognizable in that tiny panel, and that Wolverine looks scary as **** and not like some scruffy pretty boy like some draw him after those aweful movies.

I don't see the point in rewriting the part about how he met the Hudson's, though. I like the idea of doing a book that sort of condenses and retels the origins in a cohesive manner, as actually buying all the comic books with flashbacks and retcons revealing said origins can be a nightmare for those of us who aren't or can't afford to be serious collectors. But IMO, stick to the established continuity.
    "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, you must be Marvel."
    -FlightPath07 Don't you feel all important now?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    edit: the guy in the comments said 'for newcomers'... the one who said it was for the Disney market was you.
    Ewps.
    Yeah, they're designed to be mainly sold in book shops and Disney stores/theme parks etc so newcomers that wouldn't usually go to comic shops.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricSage View Post
    I like the idea of doing a book that sort of condenses and retels the origins in a cohesive manner,
    Or, in most cases, expands the origins - since a lot of them were very simplistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Yeah, they're designed to be mainly sold in book shops and Disney stores/theme parks etc so newcomers that wouldn't usually go to comic shops.
    Cool... but it still begs the question - are these supposed to be the canon origin, or new, alternate origins?

~ Le Messor
    "Integrity has no need for rules."
    Last edited by Le Messor; 06-08-2013 at 04:59 PM.

The latter I think.

Simplified done-in-one origin stories, not to be followed up on.

CONFIRMATION ON HUDSONS & reasoning for Wendigo:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/10/12/wolverine-season-one/

we get to meet the Hudsons - James and Heather - from Alpha Flight, Canada's number one super-hero team.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=41467

For "Wolverine: Season One," the writing duo takes Logan back to his roots, exploring the period around that first appearance of Wolverine as a Canadian agent. While focusing on that first appearance, a large swath of the character's history -- in both comic books and film -- informed their portrayal of the character.
    "Wolverine's history -- and future, for that matter -- is so rich that there was a lot to choose from," said Blacker. "We're big fans of Barry Windsor-Smith's 'Weapon X' story as well as a lot of the Alpha Flight-related stuff.
    Last edited by Phil; 10-12-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Hmmmm...I do like when Alpha Flight is paid their dues and more awarness is a'ok in my books

Agreed. I love it when YET ANOTHER creator comes out and just simply says "I'm a big fan of Alpha Flight". Word.

WILL BUY.

Likely, I'll buy 2 copies. One for the collection and one for my kid to read a billion times. She's turned out to be a huge comic geek and this kind of book is just perfect for her.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

haha that's nice rplass

Sidenote: Is this actually being realeased as is? or do you need to buy something else like how you needed to buy the Avengers DVD to get Avengers Season One?