Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: New Alpha Flight ongoing - "We'll do it again"

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricSage View Post
    Maybe if the series had been ongoing, and these things left hanging were dealt with, I'd have a better impression of the Maxi as a whole...
    Maybe, but I doubt I would. If it had continued as it was, I would've dropped it. I don't know when, but I wouldn't be reading it by now.

~ Le Messor
    "Inferiority complex: a conviction by a jury of your fears."
    ~ anon
    Last edited by Le Messor; 09-18-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Don't look now, but there could be an Avengers North coming to Marvel soon!

Not saying there IS, just that there COULD BE...
    lol I still think (under different circumstances than the current set in the MU) they should relaunch AF as 'Canadian Avengers' as a joke, with the team indignant over it, have a bit of an AF/Avengers cross over Adventure out of it, and then restore Alphas proper name while simultaneously establishing/re establishing more ties to popular characters in popular books. A light fun adventure for once, with a bit of poking fun at Marvel's marketing. Now would be a really bad time for that, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Maybe, but I doubt I would. If it had continued as it was, I would've dropped it. I don't know when, but I wouldn't be reading it now.
    Good point. I should know better than to hold out hope. But if the book had been ongoing, maybe a new writer would come in soon enough to save it, if it did simply keep it's downward trajectory. Alas, we shall never know. I would have at least like to have seen some resolution to Heather's situation. Leaving that a loose thread is just insane. It's the kind of thing editors shouldn't be letting wriiters do, as then the issue gets forgotten about by marvel's staff, but not by the fans, and further mars continuity when another writer takes a stabat the team or the character Heather without addressing what happened. It's too common nowadays.
    Last edited by EccentricSage; 09-18-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, you must be Marvel."
    -FlightPath07 Don't you feel all important now?

Images

I still think (under different circumstances than the current set in the MU) they should relaunch AF as 'Canadian Avengers' as a joke, with the team indignant over it
    I like it!

Leaving that a loose thread is just insane. It's the kind of thing editors shouldn't be letting wriiters do, as then the issue gets forgotten about by marvel's staff, but not by the fans, and further mars continuity when another writer takes a stabat the team or the character Heather without addressing what happened. It's too common nowadays.
    ... and leaving that insane a thread is just loose writing.

Sadly, I think you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if next time we see Heather, we'll just have her hanging out with the team as if nothing ever happened.
    (I keep thinking about the Hulk issues, but that's not Heather in there, it just looks a lot like her.)

~ Le Messor
    "Incompetence plus incompetence equals incompetence."

Images

I'm pretty sure Wolverine was an atheist, from everything I'd read, and didn't he go to Hell somehow, too?
    Look at it this way: in a world where Heaven and Hell are real, counting on atheism to save you from Hell is about as useful as jumping naked out of an aeroplane at 30,000ft while declaring "There's no such thing as parachutes!"

Look at it this way: in a world where Heaven and Hell are real, counting on atheism to save you from Hell is about as useful as jumping naked out of an aeroplane at 30,000ft while declaring "There's no such thing as parachutes!"
    So everyone should pray to Jesus, or perform some simular religious right begging YHWH to spare their souls? Being a non believer, that entire idea makes me extremely uncomfortable. If everyone in the MU is subject to the judgement of God, regardless of their religion or lack there of, I'll swear off Marvel all over again! For anyone who's grown up having the faithful use the 'what if you're wrong, you better play it safe and submit to our dogma' argument and constantly promising your soul's eternal damnation for thinking for yourself, this is a very very sensitive subject.

They should just make it so that your spiritual alignment effects who you are beholoden to when you die, if anyone at all. Let characters like Wolfsbain, Shadowcat, Aurora, and Nightcrawler worry about heaven and hell, don't force it on characters who don't seem to hold any faith to begin with. Mind you, I do think more Marvel characters should have some religious belief, because I think the religious are an under represented majority in this case. I think it's lazy writing.
    "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, you must be Marvel."

Lets not steer this thread too closely towards the topic of religion; we've been down this road before and it's never a comfortable experience.

ES, I'd just like to point out that the 'hell" portrayed in the Wolverine storyline was far from the Biblical portrayal of hell, it was merely 'a hell' as envisioned by the writer(s). One they chose to put Wolverine (and Puck) into.

The Biblical portrayal of hell, CANNOT exist in the Marvel Universe; it is an impossibility, due to the fact Marvel has already okay-ed other religions and made them exist in their Univ in reality; in the Biblical hell, there would only be Earth, Heaven, and Hell (and purgatory, if you are Catholic), no other hereafters and no other gods.

So don't get too hung up on what is, in the end, just a fictionalization by the writers intended to serve a purpose for the story du jour. I don't think it was intended to be a preachy moment by them, just another story.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

that entire idea makes me extremely uncomfortable.
    Sorry 'bout that. I just haven't had the kind of life that makes me believe that the laws of the universe (social / physical / spiritual) change themselves to fit what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Lets not steer this thread too closely towards the topic of religion; we've been down this road before and it's never a comfortable experience.
    Ahh!!! Swerve! Swerve! Steer away! We're gonna cr--

Sorry 'bout that. I just haven't had the kind of life that makes me believe that the laws of the universe (social / physical / spiritual) change themselves to fit what I want.
    Nor have I. Don't imply your religious views are the 'laws of the universe', thanks. Nor do I apreciate the implication that I'm so naive as to believe that my views define reality.

If you mean the 'laws of the universe' for fictional characters, of course they can be whatever people want, it's a fictional universe. I don't buy Marvel to read Christian Fictional Literature. Christian themes and 'laws of the universe re:the spiritual' should only apply to Christian characters. If Marvel were to decide that is not the case, then I'll be done with Marvel.
    Last edited by EccentricSage; 09-19-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Images

Christian themes and 'laws of the universe re:the spiritual' should only apply to Christian characters. If Marvel were to decide that is not the case, then I'll be done with Marvel.
    Trust me, they won't.

Not to jump into this hornet's nest, but wasn't Wolverine's soul taken out of his body and a demon stuck in to replace it? If so he never died and was therefor not judged and sent to Hell, he was kidnapped. This would be how an atheist could end up there without the writers having to comment on either religion or atheism.

Sorry about my attitude earlier, guys. I was in an awful mood and felt that upon the mere mentioning that I would like to see Madison in Alpha, everyone just shot that down...
    Not everyone, I want Madison back in the Box armour and back on the team right now! He's wasted on the X-Science Team. Plus, I'd like to see Windshear back. I was thinking (before the core team returned from the dead) that it would be cool to see Colin return sans powers and take up the mantle of Guardian, or take over the Box armour since Madison was gone. Even now I'd say put him in Box if Madison is being used elsewhere.
    Last edited by Legerd; 09-21-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Images

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

~ Mickey the bee

Your comment about Colin, and the Box armour...

As much as i enjoy having Jamie back in the Guardian suit, and I do, if anyone else were to be in it (and I think at this point in her life, Heather should concentrate on being a mom rather than a superhero), I'd pick Mr. Hume.

Rather see him there than in the Box armour. If we are talking about Box without Madison's power-set, than we are talking about Boch's Box (which I actually preferred), and anybody who can put the control-thingy on his head can control that Box.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Well, Clarke died so it was almost justice.
    I get that, I'm glad Clarke is gone, but that's a bit more on the revenge/retribution side of things, to me, whereas mind-wiping the mind-wipers is a bit more tit-for-tat (eye for an eye), even-steven. Besides, "Bucky-dead" isn't even "Bucky-dead" anymore; Norman Osborne is a big-bad in Marvel...and he died (deservedly) a long time ago.

Anyhow, there had to be people who authorized/"misappropriated" the funding for the mind-swiping devise(s); there had to be engineers and technicians who designed, built and operated the devices. I doubt Clarke did the whole operation by himself.

Lastly, a (corrupt) public/military official with only 10% of what he used to know would be pretty useless and hard-pressed to keep a high-level position: in short, their lives would be about as ruined and chaotic as those of the people they forced into service.
    Last edited by Garry/Al-Fan; 09-22-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

After reading the above post, i have decided that I must have been mind-wiped during my lifetime. Repeatedly.