Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Cancellations?

Even if Marvel relaunches Cap, Fantastic Four, and the rest of the titles I currently collect, it still seems like they'll be losing at least two sales from me each month. Uncanny X-Men and X-Men Legacy are to be replaced by Uncanny Avengers (a title I swear we were joking about on this site about a year ago) and All-New X-Men. The former just contributes to the further diluting of the Avengers idea/franchise and, like changing Thunderbolts to Dark Avengers, I will not support it. The latter...well, after suffering through the destruction of the concept of the Avengers by Bendis over the past 7-8 years, I have no desire to follow him to the X-books (or any other books, for that matter).

I find myself getting less and less new issues and using the money I save on $2.99 or $3.99 new issues and buying back issues with better stories from decades past, usually for much cheaper than a new issue. Even the $25 Marvel Masterworks averages out to about $2.50 an issue (or sometimes even less).

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eberly View Post
    I find myself getting less and less new issues and using the money I save on $2.99 or $3.99 new issues and buying back issues with better stories from decades past, usually for much cheaper than a new issue. Even the $25 Marvel Masterworks averages out to about $2.50 an issue (or sometimes even less).
    I'm halfway with you - except I don't have a good back issue supply. Have to drive up to Sydney for the nearest one (3 hours each way).

- Le Messor
    "I'm sorry Buffy. This conversation is reserved for people who actually have a future."
    ~ Cordelia

Uncanny X-Men and X-Men Legacy are to be replaced by Uncanny Avengers (a title I swear we were joking about on this site about a year ago) and All-New X-Men.
    Uncanny X-Men is becoming All New X-Men, the fate of X-Men Legacy past #275's 'final issue' is unrevealed at the moment; there are rumours of a Jean Grey Academy type book replacing it.

Uncanny Avengers is a brand new title.

Um...Phil, is this going to be like our discussion over the "cancellation" word? You said "Uncanny X-Men is becoming All New X-Men". Yet, All New X-Men is a series featuring the time-lost original X-Men. So, how can that be a comic "becoming a series called something different" (quotation mine, not yours; you just used the word "becoming"), when I see that as a definite "cancelling one series, launching a whole new series about something else entirely"?

If you change the cast, change the team behind it, change the whole premise, and start over at number one...?...do you see where I am going with this one? To me, this is more Marvel double-speak; trying to trick those who were subscribers to Uncanny to being subscribers of All New. Or, even worse, those with subscriptions will never be asked, All New will just show up on their door even though it is something completely different! Man, this kind of thing gets me SO angry! This is everything I hate about the way Marvel does business, and more.

And, again, it is the same thing with X-Men Legacy. If I read this right, the current cast of X-Men Legacy is Cannonball, Chamber, Frenzy, Gambit, Rachel Grey, Husk, Iceman, Mimic, and Rogue. Uncanny Avengers, meanwhile, will feature Thor, Havok, Scarlet Witch, Rogue, Captain America, and Wolverine. Um...yeah, no. If this is what Marvel is referring to as one comic becoming another without cancelling...they're full of s#^t.

Oops. I just saw that you wrote that Uncanny Avengers is a new title. Nevermind, then.

And this is why i cannot believe one single thing that comes out of Marvel's mouth. Sickening business practices lacking ethics and truth; absolutely sickening.
    Last edited by Flightpath07; 07-27-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Uncanny X-Men is becoming All New X-Men, the fate of X-Men Legacy past #275's 'final issue' is unrevealed at the moment; there are rumours of a Jean Grey Academy type book replacing it.

Uncanny Avengers is a brand new title.
    FP got it. I didn't mean that ANXM is directly replacing XL and UA is directly replacing UX. It was more like, "Marvel is cancelling two books I enjoy and have collected for decades and the closest things they've offered in replacement (to date) I have no desire to purchase.

Also, I thought there already was a Jean Grey Academy book...isn't that what Wolverine and the X-Men is about?

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Um...Phil, is this going to be like our discussion over the "cancellation" word? You said "Uncanny X-Men is becoming All New X-Men". Yet, All New X-Men is a series featuring the time-lost original X-Men. So, how can that be a comic "becoming a series called something different" (quotation mine, not yours; you just used the word "becoming"), when I see that as a definite "cancelling one series, launching a whole new series about something else entirely"?
    It's not about something else entirely though.
    They've said it will still feature the current X-Men as well.

A cancellation is when an ongoing title is ended prematurely because of sales.
    This isn't that.

This is Bendis becoming the writer of Uncanny X-Men just with a name change, like when X-Men (1963) became Uncanny X-Men, and X-Men (1991) Became New X-Men and then X-Men and then X-Men Legacy, or Incredible Hulk becoming Incredible Hercules, or Journey Into Mystery becoming The Mighty Thor.
    Except Marvel are rolling out with a #1 to boost sales and this whole NOW! initiative.
    All New X-Men will undoubtedly roll back into Uncanny X-Men again later down the line, either with the same numbering, a new #1 or maybe even the combined numbering.

#1 of All New X-Men will come out the month after Uncanny X-Men #20.
    There is no publication gap.

But again, this is just the publishing point of view; I get why you and many others call it a cancellation, and I do agree it's a tired cheap stunt and I won't be buying All New X-Men, unless Madison appears in it.

I think the premise of All-New is that the original five students come from the past early in their careers to the present day. I'm not sure how many of the current characters will be appearing (if any).

Also, with Bendis' track record of not knowing (or caring to know) the actual personalities of the characters he writes and transforming them just to fit his stories, I wouldn't want him touching any of the Alpha Flight crew.

I think it was one of the Greek philosophers around 500 BC (Heraclitus?) who realized that the character drives the story, not vice versa when he said "Character is destiny".

Bendis does the exact opposite of that, changing the characters to fit his story.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

... changing the characters to fit his story.
    Oddly enough, that's supposed to be one of the first things you learn not to do when learning writing.

- Le Messor
    "A word and a stone let go cannot be called back."
    ~ Thomas Fuller
    (edited to remove embarrassing admission.)

I think the premise of All-New is that the original five students come from the past early in their careers to the present day. I'm not sure how many of the current characters will be appearing (if any).
    Bendis: It is a big cast. I like a big cast, and all these characters are very dramatic characters. Kitty, and... there's so many characters, but I don't think they want me to say who they are right now. Not everyone's walking out of Avengers vs. X-Men, and once you start naming names, people start doing the math, so I don't want to ruin what happens in #11 and #12 of Avengers vs. X-Men.
    Nrama: But it's safe to say that several current X-Men characters are going to be playing a role?
    Bendis: It's not just the five of them, it's "the X-Men." It's all of the X-Men. Them coming here, and seeing the "now" X-Men — the Jean Grey School cast of characters — reacting to the five, is a pretty big deal.
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/all-...el-bendis.html

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=40184

So so far we have Iron Man, Thor, Hulk #1's confirmed for November, carrying on publication of the titles, straight through without a gap.

Two more days to go, so time for Fantastic Four & Captain America teasers too.

So, Captain America, Fantastic Four & FF to have #1's in November, continuing a seemless publishing schedule with no gap from October's 'final' issue.

So apart from the non-confirmation of x-Men Legacy & New Mutants, and the change in title of Uncanny X-Men, it's all pretty much business as usual...

Confirmation of X-Men Legacy: http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/08/03/...cy-marvel-now/

By Si Spurrier! So hopefully we'll see some Jeffries!

So so far, only New Mutants is left in the air...

It's also possible that Legacy could refer to a relaunched New Mutants book, as the "Legacy" spoiler would seem a little too straightforward if it were referring to X-Men Legacy.

That's true.
    Either way, it's another book from that list that's not cancelled cancelled.

"it's another book from that list that's not cancelled cancelled"

sigh. is that anything like "not done done"? or anything like "all new, except for the parts that aren't"? or "reboot without rebooting"?

Sorry. I just get so tired of double-speak, and Bendis (sorry, just had to throw him in there, didn't I? I am sure this isn't ENTIRELY his fault...) and Marvel are the worst of the industry for this. I just want comic companies to stop sounding like lawyers, or like they are talking down to or patronizing you. Wouldn't it be great if everybody in the industry was a fan first and foremost? Sometimes when we grow up, we stop being fans and we just wanna get rich/noticed/whatever.

I'm ranting again. Sorry.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/