Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinning Down Some Ages

Default Pinning Down Some Ages

So, here is an interesting question for discussion; what age would you think the various Alphans are at?

To me, this is difficult to pin down in the world of comics, as we are not usually too sure how much time passes each issue.

Here' s my take on this question, see if you agree with me or not.

I think Mac is about 38 to 40 years old, and Heather is about 26-28 years old. Mac was significantly older than Heather when they met, and Heather got the job at Mac's company fresh out of high-school I do beleive. After marriage, they went quite a while before they had Claire.

Mind you, this is factoring out that Mac was blown back in time and then put in suspended animation for eons!

Snowbird is ultimately impossible to figure out, as she did not age naturally. To me, she LOOKS like she is about thirty years old, but has far less actual live experience than that.

I figure Shaman to be in his early to mid-forties, and Talisman to be about 20.

Northstar and Aurora looked to be about 21 or so when they were first approached by Mac, so i am guessing they are now in the 28 years old range?

Marrina looks to be about 19, as of Volume 4. Seems like she'd have to be older than that, though!

Puck...again, thanks to the demon-inside-him thing, impossible to tell his true age, although I think Mantlo put him in his 70's? If i recall that correctly, that is.

I'd guess Madison Jeffries to be in his early thirties, although he looks closer to forty at times.

Walter Langkowski would be close to Mac's age; 35-ish? Football career, scientist, researcher, super-hero...can't fit that all into a 22-year life span! Besides, this helps me to figure out that his feelings for Aurora have a lot to do with him being in mid-life-crisis range.

What does everybody else think? Am I way off?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

I'd say, being that this is all fiction:

Mac - 32 (I doubt he aged as a cyborg or when he was in space)
    Walter - 30
    Heather - 27
    Puck - 90
    Marrina - 21
    Snowbird - doesn't count, but 35.
    Shaman - 45
    Northstar/Aurora - 27
    Talisman - 22
    Feedback - 21
    Many others would still be teens
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

I've often wondered the same....

Guardian - 42
    Heather - 28
    Sasquatch - 40
    Shaman - 40
    Snowbird - 30
    Northstar / Aurora - 31
    Puck - 90
    Marrina - 25
    Box (Madisson) - 38
    Talisman - 25
    Persuation - 25
    Pathway / Goblyn - 17
    Manikin - 27

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Hmm... this has been discussed in the deep past somewhere.
    I notice Sypes skews much older than Mokole.

It is difficult to narrow down, but I'll add that Byrne gave ages for three of them:

Heather "will be eighteen next month" during Mac's origin,
    Snowbird was (chronologically) six at some point - can't remember exactly where
    Marrina was eighteen in #2.

- Le Messor
    "If this is timesharing, give me my share right now."

The problem here is that when Heather was grown up, working for the Canadian government, I was...4, now I'm 34, and suddenly she's hot....this is so wrong!

Okay then, here is another question: How much time has passed (in comicbook land) since AF Vol 1 Issue 1 until the end (issue of Volume 4?

I'm guessing 7 years.

BTw, Sypes, i just can't see Persuasion as being 27, since when she first showed up in Volume 1 and was pursing Northstar she was mid-teens, like 15 or so.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole View Post
    I'd say, being that this is all fiction:

Mac - 32 (I doubt he aged as a cyborg or when he was in space)
    Walter - 30
    Heather - 27
    Puck - 90
    Marrina - 21
    Snowbird - doesn't count, but 35.
    Shaman - 45
    Northstar/Aurora - 27
    Talisman - 22
    Feedback - 21
    Many others would still be teens
    I really agree with the Snowbird entry - her age is always going to be difficult to pin down and not very relevant, given who she is.

Since Shaman spent 10 years in solitude, and was a renowned physician prior to that, 45 years is a pretty good age for the good doctor.

While "Mac" may be younger than Shaman (and Heather definitely is), I would think that Mac is pushing 40 more than 30 [entertaining the "time in space"/cyborg stuff doesn't help IMO]; if Heather was 28 in vol. 1 # 13 - 14, and 7 years have elapsed from vol. 1 and vol. 4, I would think Heather is 35, at the most.

The twins should be youngest of original group; Walter around the same age as Mac (40ish).

I don't have a clue about Judd.

Drafting children/teenagers to be part of Dept. H is something a responsible party should take a look at.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Okay then, here is another question: How much time has passed (in comicbook land) since AF Vol 1 Issue 1 until the end (issue of Volume 4?
    The official word from Marvel is that it's always seven years after the F4's rocket flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    Drafting children/teenagers to be part of Dept. H is something a responsible party should take a look at.
    The youngest would be Marrina, at eighteen - so old enough to be 'drafted'. (I'm not sure the draft is how Dept. H works; I imagine it's a choice if they're not actively criminal.)

Also, in-universe, it might make sense to examine these things, but out of universe it's the kind of story that bores me - that has to overthink the concept and drag it down to a pedantic and ultimately dull level (the kind that throws out the heroism with the bathwater). Personally, I'd rather just accept the fantasy side of the whole sitch and enjoy it as a story.

- Le Messor
    Buffy: If this place is a trap, we give the signal, you guys come in, guns a-blazing.
    Xander: So, what's the signal?
    Buffy: I'm thinking lots and lots of yelling.
    Last edited by Le Messor; 04-07-2012 at 07:04 PM.

"The official word from Marvel is that it's always seven years after the F4's rocket flight."

Well...and we KNOW how reliable Marvel's word is...

FYI, Puck was born in 1914 (confirmed), so he's 98.

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    FYI, Puck was born in 1914 (confirmed), so he's 98.
    I understand that, but, the problem is, will he be 99 years old in January? If so, that implies that time in comics moves at the same pace as time in the real world. In which case, Mac would be in his mid-60s right now.

Don't get me wrong, it is good to know what year they were born in, but that really doesn't help much with figuring out how old they are, if you get my drift.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    I understand that, but, the problem is, will he be 99 years old in January? If so, that implies that time in comics moves at the same pace as time in the real world. In which case, Mac would be in his mid-60s right now.
    Not necessarily. (Forgetting that it'd be more accurate to say he'll be 99 at his 2013 birthday); the idea of the Marvel sliding scale of time is that the F4's flight moves up with us; so, while in the original comic it took place in 1964, it now took place in 2005; next year in 2006.
    I'm not saying that's not really silly, but it's the conceit Marvel go by.
    So: Mac would still be in his 40s. Or whatever. But Puck is now 99.
    Being effectively immortal, the rules don't have to apply to him.

- Le Messor
    "Why do we emphasise the importance of home ownership when life itself is only leased?"
    ~ P.K. Shaw

To further illustrate the point, Captain America still grew up in the depression and fought in WWII. However, the date in which he got thawed out of ice will continue to be approximately seven years ago.

(Of course, this scenario isn't absolute, as Reed Richards and Ben Grimm used to have been known to have fought in WWII, but now that has pretty much been eradicated from continuity.)

my head hurts to much thinking. but since i'm at it wouldnt snowbird b like 10 or 11 (years on earth at least) im thinking since shaman delivered her that would make her super young. right?
    Pain knows no boundries, but Puck knows pain!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by batman_von_gein View Post
    snowbird b like 10 or 11 (years on earth at least) im thinking since shaman delivered her that would make her super young. right?
    At some point, Byrne gave her age at about six years - but I can't be certain when. Pretty sure it wasn't during her origin, though.

So, yeah, even younger than you think.

- Le Messor
    "If time heals all wounds, why does the belly button stay the same?"