Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X-Men Legacy 264 Thread *SPOILERS*

Post X-Men Legacy 264 Thread *SPOILERS*

For those Weapon Omega fans who plan to buy the book, this thread contains spoilers.

For those cost conscious folks who don't like Weapon Omega and leafed through the book at their LCS to see the ending instead of buying it, you already know what happened.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

OK - Spoilers

First, I liked Rafa Sandoval's art on the issue. IMO it reminded me of Leonard Kirk's art on the Dark X-Men mini series.

So Mimic and Weapon Omega arrive at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning and we find out that Weapon Omega has become ill from absorbing Mimic's powers. There is no explanation as to how Sugarman gained possession of the Omega Machine (see New Mutants 25-27) that Pointer was using during the Dark X-Men mini to feed his addiction to mutant powers.

The ending of that issue was not what I was expecting. Christos Gage threw me a curve ball.
    Last edited by rplass; 03-29-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: To preserve the nature of spoiler alert on the front page

I'm sorry...what is it about Mimic's powers that would cause Weapon Useless to become ill, exactly?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Does it still count as spoilery if you don't give away the ending?

- Le Messor
    "If some people didn't tell you, you'd never know they'd been away on vacation."

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    I'm sorry...what is it about Mimic's powers that would cause Weapon Useless to become ill, exactly?
    I'm confused too. Apparently Norman Osborn did something to Michael Pointer so he could only absorb mutant power. And since Mimic isn't a mutant, absorbing mutant power from a non mutant made him sick. I don't understand Marvel physics as to why this would be. As rplass would say, I must have been reading Alpha Flight comics instead of paying attention in Physics class.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Does it still count as spoilery if you don't give away the ending?
    Since you asked, here is a spoiler:

Pointer absorbs some their power and becomes an unstable bomb. Mimic comes up with the bright idea that he and Rogue can absorb Pointer's powers to safely discharge him. Something goes horribly wrong during the process and Mimic and Rogue fail to discharge Pointer. And no it wasn't because Mimic was staring at Rogue's cleavage during the process.

"Mimic isn't a mutant"

He ain't?!?! Is he, like, the only non-mutant former-member of X-Men, then? When was this decided?

"it wasn't because Mimic was staring at Rogue's cleavage during the process"

No, that was me. Me staring, I mean; NOT me that that Mimic was staring at. That'd be creepy. Me staring at Rogue is MUCH less creepy.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

"Mimic isn't a mutant"

He ain't?!?! Is he, like, the only non-mutant former-member of X-Men, then? When was this decided?
    Ever since his orgins actually, he gained his powers from a chemical accident (isn't that always the case?) not the mutant-gene. However, later on in his career they said he had a "latent" mutant gene, which may be ignored.

Also he isn't the only non-mutant member either.... others include: Longshot, Fantomex, Hepizah, Lockheed, Juggernaut, Omega Sentinel, Moira MacTaggart, Dr. Yuriko Takiguchi, Deadpool, Warlock, Danger, Ariel, Dr. Kavita Rao, Ms.Marvel/Warbird/Binary, Clock & Dagger (tehnically) and I'm sure there is more.

EDIT: Found another....Ink
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink_(comics)
    Last edited by -K-M-; 03-31-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Mimic isn't a mutant
    Oh, that Mimic. For some reason, I was picturing a woman.
    He got his powers in a lab accident (breathed in some gaseous chemicals from one of his father's lab experiments) in (Uncanny) X-Men #19.

- Le Messor
    "If rabbits feet are so lucky, what happened to the rabbit?"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    Also he isn't the only non-mutant member either.... others include: Longshot, Fantomex, Hepizah, Lockheed, Juggernaut, Omega Sentinel, Moira MacTaggart, Dr. Yuriko Takiguchi, Deadpool, Warlock, Danger, Ariel, Dr. Kavita Rao, Ms.Marvel/Warbird/Binary, Clock & Dagger (tehnically) and I'm sure there is more.
    (Didn't mean to repeat K-M's points, but we must've been typing up our posts at the same time.)

Warlock, Danger, and Ariel - though two aliens and a robot - are generally considered to be mutants. I think Longshot is, too; but most of the people you listed aren't. (I know nothing of this Dr. Yuriko Takiguchi of which you speak.)

- Le Messor
    "If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time.
    ~ Edith Wharton

Danger has no DNA she is not a mutant, they "say" she is but she technically isn't.

Yeah Ariel is an alien mutant, but she is not the typical "earth" mutant thats why I included her. Your right she should be omitted.

Warlock didn't know they classified him as a mutant, I guess his compassion was different from the rest and that made him a mutant? Regardless I lumped him in the same boat as Ariel. Just because your different doesn't make you a mutant though. The X-Men need to stop copyrighting that,

Naaaa Longshot is an artificially created humanoid life-form, not a mutant. He is a mutate not a mutant. Same thing as Deadpool.
    Last edited by -K-M-; 03-31-2012 at 01:27 AM.

I wasn't aware that Moira MacTaggert (who has no powers, if i recall correctly) was ever technically a member of the X-Men. Of course, who can REALLY keep track of who is an X-Men member now, as basically every mutant still alive is a member of X-men now (don't even get me started on the stupidity of that). Cloak & Dagger - according to Norman Osborne, they're mutants (not that I'd ever trust ol' Normie). Not sure how Warlock gets to be on the New Mutants team and yet isn't a mutant? Where is the sense in that? Furthermore, how can Mimic mimic the powers of mutants who get their powers through the X-Gene if he doesn't have an X-Gene of his own? There is no logic to that. Sorry, now i am just ranting.

Yeah she was a member, and concerning Cloak and Dagger (too lazy to type it out myself)....

"Cloak and Dagger were considered both latent mutants whose powers were activated when they were injected with an experimental illegal drug in earlier appearances. In later years, they are listed as mutates, as which they are listed in the Civil War: Battle Damage Report. However some mutants, such as Sunfire, Polaris, and Thunderbird, who have been in similar circumstances to Cloak and Dagger's have also required external stimuli to awaken their latent powers.Uncanny X-Men writer Matt Fraction stated: "No, they don't [think of themselves as part of the mutant community], and that's the thing: in a time when there are so few mutants left, can they afford to not at least acknowledge the existence of this community, this family?"As such, in the Utopia crossover, when recruited by Norman Osborn as part of his "Dark X-Men", Cloak and Dagger comment how they aren't mutants. This is further confirmed by Doctor Nemesis, who ran a full range of genetics scans on Dagger, stating that her powers were derived solely from the drug that changed both her and Cloak".

I think the "latent mutation" thing with Mimic and Cloak & Dagger has come and gone several times, right?

Cloak and Dagger not being mutants (at least having some sort of latent mutation) at all (via Dr. Nemesis) doesn't make any kind of sense, though...They were given a synthetic Heroin...They would simply get high, not gain superhuman powers. There was also some attempt to connect their powers to magic/demonic sources/the Dark Force dimension, etc...But I don't think Marvel really did a lot with that storyline.

As for Warlock...IIRC, Warlock was called a mutant by the New Mutant team, because he was the first of his kind to reject his race's inborn instinct to kill their parent.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    Warlock didn't know they classified him as a mutant, I guess his compassion was different from the rest and that made him a mutant?
    Exactumundo.
    But Dana's comment about rejecting their killing of parents thing has probably also been mixed in there.
    I've seen him lose all compassion and turn into a violent raving lunatic when everybody had their powers turned off.

- Le Messor
    "If pigs could vote, the man with the slop bucket would be elected swineherd every time, no matter how much slaughtering he did on the side."
    ~ Orson Scott Card

Of course, who can REALLY keep track of who is an X-Men member now
    I am. But Sshhhhh... it's a secret.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

In X-Men Legacy 265, the X-Men gain a new member but it's not Phil. Mimic and Pointer and even Rogue pretty much spend the entire issue doing what Pointer does best - whining about their situation. This issue would have been a whole lot better if it ended with an explosion or two. Instead Pointer goes back to comic book limbo again for the next writer to use him as a hero, or villain, or victim. I'm sure Flightpath will be disappointed

Mimic ends of rejoining the X-Men instead.