Thread: Tough times for Bill Mantlo

Hybrid View

New Recruit

Default Tough times for Bill Mantlo

There's a really great and heartbreaking profile of Bill Mantlo over at, of all places, National Underwriter Health & Life Magazine. Robot 6 has a good post about it too. It's a long but fascinating read about his medical and financial problems since his car accident. Definitely recommended reading.

Alpha Flight

This is heartbreaking! So sad. It also makes me appreciate living in Canada where health care is viewed as a major priority and support system for our society!

There was an article on Newsarama (I think it was) a few months ago by Greg Pak, and Bill's brother (and his caretaker). Sounded like things were pretty tough even without reading between the lines. It's a shame, too. I know how hard it is to be in a body that doesn't work properly, but at least I still have my mental faculties. Bill's work was a big part of my early introduction to comics, with Incredible Hulk and Rom being among my favorites. Think I need to send a card and whatever I can spare (unfortunately, being on a fixed income means not much) to him and his family.

Administrator Department H
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!