Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Article: Alpha Flight To End With #8 *SPOILERS FOR #4* *UPDATED*

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Technically this was never an ongoing.
    It was an ongoing in spoken word and online interviews, but never in print.
    Technically, that is true.

- Le Messor
    "If I had had more time, I could have written you a shorter letter."
    ~ Blaise Pascal

IMHO...It's crime that this series was shorter than Volume 3 (bleh).

On the more positive side...I'd love it if Fregale pushed for another mini for next year or something.

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 10-25-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    I'd love it if Fregale pushed for another mini for next year or something.
    i'd love the whole team back. this is by far my favorite alpha flight issues. great everything
    Pain knows no boundries, but Puck knows pain!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
    I'm pretty pragmatic about the whole thing. Being a Alpha fan kinda means that disappointment is always around the corner. I was excited by the thought of a Alpha ongoing, but in the back of my mind was the nagging feeling that maybe they jumped the gun a little, just to have what they perceived as good news at a Canadian Con.

Being a Alpha fan to me means sucking it up, having a rant and waiting patiently. If something happens in a few years then excellent. In the interim we can now talk about how Alpha hasn't been the same since volume 4 instead of harking back to the good old days of the 1990's. We now have an Alpha Flight that has more respected characters and are at their healthiest since the end of volume 1. For that I am extremely grateful to Freg and Dale.

Bitterly disappointed, but not surprised.
    I second everything that you just said.
    Stop the Goblyn hate!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    I'd love it if Fregale pushed for another mini for next year or something.
    Fregale rock?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fragglefive..jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	870.8 KB 
ID:	1577

The first issue numbers were really, really good. Much better then expected. The drop after that though, was even worse then expected. Retailers abandoned this series in droves. The demand wasn't there.

With the numbers trending they way they are, I cannot blame Marvel for cancelling it. I mean, they gave us everything the fans have been asking for YEARS... and it still tanked, sales-wise.

I am grateful for this very nice mini. If the team had the opportunity to revisit this property, I would happily join in. Even more of a shame to lose this after losing Herc. At least they didn't pull an All-Winners Squad on us. I am very thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    The first issue numbers were really, really good. Much better then expected. The drop after that though, was even worse then expected. Retailers abandoned this series in droves. The demand wasn't there.

With the numbers trending they way they are, I cannot blame Marvel for cancelling it. I mean, they gave us everything the fans have been asking for YEARS... and it still tanked, sales-wise.

I am grateful for this very nice mini. If the team had the opportunity to revisit this property, I would happily join in. Even more of a shame to lose this after losing Herc. At least they didn't pull an All-Winners Squad on us. I am very thankful for that.
    Issue #1 was double shipped by Marvel, to stores that ordered a certain number of the books, ie. 25 copies ordered = 50 copies received. That makes it impossible to determine the drop off from issue #1 to #2. However -7.4% (#2 to #3) and -6.5% (#3 to #4) are not percentages that show a retailers and collectors abandoning the series. This is rather a normal decline from issue to issue. The numbers from #4 to #5 are what could be telling.

Based on a conversation I had with my LCS this week, it looks like the Ultimate Universe could be suffering from extreme overprinting and lack of community support. He said that he's been able to order #1s of each title every week since the relaunch, something typically unheard of when dealing with Marvel. Also, whenever he's reordered additional copies of #1s, #2s and #3s he's received 5 free copies of Ultimate Fallout #4 (Introduction of the new Spider-Man). He has so many copies that the store is giving them out for Halloween. That would tend to show that maybe the numbers for these other titles aren't quite as they seem either.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

After cursing MARVEL for canceling an 8-issue maxi-series that is concluding after 8 issues,
    give them some suggestions that can help them compete, because it's obvious that DC's revamp has caught MARVEL flat-footed.

DaVeo suggested something in another thread that MARVEL go the same route as DC. I think MARVEL should go to a 7-times-a-year publishing schedule for most of its line; I really would like to see an ALPHA FLIGHT series that has the time to develop and tell great stories.

Chaos War: Alpha Flight turned lemons into lemonade, and Dale, Greg, and Fred brought the original characters to a new generation of comic readers. That is worth remembering.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    After cursing MARVEL for canceling an 8-issue maxi-series that is concluding after 8 issues
    Which let's face it, if you put it that way, technically we can't be mad about...

because it's obvious that DC's revamp has caught MARVEL flat-footed.
    I completely disagree. In a way it's helped Marvel.
    Marvel are very closely looking at DC is a very clever way, and their digital plan is a better way than DC have marketed theirs.

DaVeo suggested something in another thread that MARVEL go the same route as DC.
    I'd hate that personally.
    If Marvel were to suddenly completely disregard 70/50 (depending on whether you look at Timely/Marvel) years of history I'd no longer bother reading.

I think MARVEL should go to a 7-times-a-year publishing schedule for most of its line; I really would like to see an ALPHA FLIGHT series that has the time to develop and tell great stories.
    There I agree. frequent maxi-series' seem to be the way to go.

Chaos War: Alpha Flightturned lemons into lemonade, and Dale, Greg, and Fred brought the original characters to a new generation of comic readers. That is worth remembering.
    Very well put.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    After cursing MARVEL for canceling an 8-issue maxi-series that is concluding after 8 issues,
    Which let's face it, if you put it that way, technically we can't be mad about...
    I'm not sure anybody's mad about that part...

It's the part where they promised the 8-issue maxi- would be an ongoing, then suddenly went back on that promise unannounced.

That said, I'm not mad at them either.
    For reasons of my own.

- Le Messor
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    ~ Ronald Reagan

*sigh*

I think I'm gonna go and start re-reading volume 1, one issue a month...that way I'll have Alpha stories to read for about 11 years.

Well, if you hold on a few months time as I've been toying with the idea of starting a monthly re-read from the very beginning when the mini-series is over, and seeing how many people here I can get involved in it.

A group re-read could be cool, especially if everyone here put in their thoughts, feelings on each issue and we can see who liked what and when