Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight #5 Discussion Thread. **Spoilers**

Del, I've got a #4 variant you can have if you haven't already committed to buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Del, I've got a #4 variant you can have if you haven't already committed to buying one.
    You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. That would be grand, Paul just said he'll put out some feelers. Shall we say the Excel in Feb. I'll be the one lying outside singing crude songs and getting harassed by security.

Cheers fella, enjoy it being whiskey o'clock.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I'm gonna say it...this run of Alpha Flight is the best since Byrne's (even though it's only been 7 issues [including Chaos War and 0.1]).

The art seemed even better this issue to me and the pacing of the overall story has been wonderful. Just enough progression in each issue to feel it is moving along yet not being rushed.

The only thing I didn't care for is Taskmaster. Not that I don't like Taskmaster...I think he's a great character. What I don't like is he's becoming another one of the characters that seems to have all this mysterious past with every other character with a mysterious past. Taskmaster's early appearance and origin established (to me, at least) that he was one to not want to get his hands dirty, which is why he opened his training school for criminals. Now this current iteration of him makes him sound like a swashbuckling mercenary through the years. To me it makes him less original and more hokey.

Also, I hope we never get a 'life story' for Puck. I know we have (as distasteful as it is to some) an origin for Puck (AF #32), but I think revealing his past prior to AF ruins part of his charm for me, much as it did for characters like Wolverine. I prefer to think of his past as almost a type of mythology, full of legends and innuendos.

Lastly, I like Velveeta, the cheese nature never intended.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eberly View Post
    Taskmaster's early appearance and origin established (to me, at least) that he was one to not want to get his hands dirty, which is why he opened his training school for criminals. Now this current iteration of him makes him sound like a swashbuckling mercenary through the years. To me it makes him less original and more hokey.
    That sort of things happens all too often, sadly - some hot new writer coming in and thinking a character will be great if they just 'tweak' it like this... And the tweaks make them look just like a dozen other characters out there.

Lastly, I like Velveeta, the cheese nature never intended.
    Never tried it, but word on the street is, I like sticky tape.

Seriously... that's painted on a street (well, a bike path) not far from here.

Also, I hope we never get a 'life story' for Puck. I know we have (as distasteful as it is to some) an origin for Puck (AF #32), but I think revealing his past prior to AF ruins part of his charm for me, much as it did for characters like Wolverine. I prefer to think of his past as almost a type of mythology, full of legends and innuendos.
    Hmm, you make a good point. It could be cool to never truly know about Puck's past. Just references here and there to make you wonder. I like it!

got this issue late (for me) on friday. all i can say is WOW!!!!

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

best issue of the series................by far, not because of the plot or a storyline moving forward, but because of how well the characters are being developed.

mac is turning into a regular patriot and his motivation is becoming clear. he is fighting for his country. plus he was finally acknowledged as a genius.

snowbird is turning into the total bad ass demi-god she should be. its obvious fvl loves her.

puck.......is puck. the back and forth with him and taskmaster was priceless, and him taking a shot at walt at the end was classic.

marrina is becoming one of my favorite characters being upset that she wasnt in a bank robbery and messing with walt about being a sleeper agent was awesome!!

northstar is as smug as ever.

shaman obviously knows more than all of us

aurora is still trying to gain control. in my only gripe about this series i really would like her to finally gain some contro over her personalities, like in the norman osborne issue where she was in complete control and used it to her benefit.

walter was his normal horny nerdy self. his reaction to marrina was priceless.

so looking forward to where this is going.

Images

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

a

u

c

e

Quote Originally Posted by varo View Post
    puck.......is puck. the back and forth with him and taskmaster was priceless, and him taking a shot at walt at the end was classic.
    Which hearkens back to their rivalry in Byrne's issues!

Quote Originally Posted by varo View Post
    shaman obviously knows more than all of us
    I think my last attempt at surgery proved that quite well.

- Le Messor
    "If brains were taxed, he'd get a rebate."

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    Loved everything about this issue! On the CBR forums I made a joke that Mac and Alice Hu would hook up, and it looks like they might!
    I don't say this to many people because I don't know how they will react, but I have to be honest - I don't know that I like Hu.
    Stop the Goblyn hate!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    I don't say this to many people because I don't know how they will react, but I have to be honest - I don't know that I like Hu.
    For the life of me, I don't know if this is a serious statement or the most awesome pun I have heard in a while.

Either way...good for Hu for admitting it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    I am seriously wondering if I should consider whether of not to be upset about this.

Images

It's not Hu, it's me. I don't like Hu anymore.

I am seriously wondering if I should consider whether of not to be upset about this.
    Why would one take offence to not liking a charter? Is it because she's Asian? It's okay not to like a charter the way they are written, but to not like them because of there ethnic background would be wrong. Personally I don't like Hu that much either, but it might change over time if she is in the new on going series and see if she is written better.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Rider View Post
    Why would one take offence to not liking a charter?
    We've been thinking (hoping?) it's because 'I don't like Hu' sounds like 'I don't like you'.

Aww rats. I didn't think you would take it seriously. I'm not one of those people on the Internet. I don't relish making anyone feel bad after reading something that I write. It was just meant to be funny. Sorry!

On the subject of Alice Hu though, I like the idea of bringing her in as a supporting character, but as of right now the potential of making her a new Canadian hero doesn't thrill me much. There's too many other Canadian heroes I would rather see revisited. Plus, in my opinion, she should respect his marriage, regardless of whether they are going through a rocky stage. Especially when a child is involved. I didn't really like the goose. For that reason, I'm not sure that I consider her likeable yet.
    Stop the Goblyn hate!

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Love everything about it, again! I'm so greatful they are focusing on character development, more than the story line (even though it is progressing alone). To me, you love characters cause they have flaws and strenght and we can see that in almost all of them now! I could eat Alpha Flight for breakfast, lunch and dinner now-a-days, and help myself for a second serving!