Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight #5 Discussion Thread. **Spoilers**

Default Alpha Flight #5 Discussion Thread. **Spoilers**

Okay Ladies and Gents. This be the thread (the title explains it all, so I'm not going to go into detail). Please remember Spoiler Space.
    Last edited by DelBubs; 10-13-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

1st impression of # 5: the book feels like it's actually going somewhere, now, even though I don't have a clue what Guardian and Shaman (yes! Thank you!) are up to.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

Issue 5 continues to deliver a great story arc. Really liking Mac becoming more and more of a "resistance" leader. Marrina continues to have very few lines in the story... but as usual, she has some of the best. Once again, the final page already has me eager for next month. And, as always, Dale's artwork... oh my God !!!
    The Flight Forever !

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Loved everything about this issue! I will admit, I was worried about where they were going with AF robbing a bank, but the reason actually makes some sense. Glad to see Mac has a plan, and isn't just running from Johnny Law. On the CBR forums I made a joke that Mac and Alice Hu would hook up, and it looks like they might!

Can't wait for AF #6.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

i agree about mac and alice hu. definitely looks like she wants him and if heather is incurable it makes sense. she could even be the new vindicator. the story as always was awesome. can't wait to see how jean-marie screwing over alpha flight was part of their plan. wish there was more shaman in issue 5 but it looks like he'll be in more next one. can't wait til next month.
    Pain knows no boundries, but Puck knows pain!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by batman_von_gein View Post

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

i agree about mac and alice hu. definitely looks like she wants him and if heather is incurable it makes sense. she could even be the new vindicator. the story as always was awesome. can't wait to see how jean-marie screwing over alpha flight was part of their plan. wish there was more shaman in issue 5 but it looks like he'll be in more next one. can't wait til next month.
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S
    P
    A
    C
    E

I wonder if they do plan to make Hu the next Vindicator? That would be drastic I think. Not sure if it would be good or bad though.

Aurora = Trojan Horse, and I'm betting Shaman will be playing a bigger role with her.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

I liked the fact that Puck and the Taskmaster go way back that was suprizing. Alice Hu as Vindicator III, it would be great to see some more colour in AF as apose to the "white bread" Canadians. Sure Shaman, Merina, Talisman, Windsheer, and Pathway were all visable minorites but three of the five stated are no longer with AF. I think AF should be more reflective of Canada's diversities and have more ethnic charaters involved in the book as an on going basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Rider View Post
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

I liked the fact that Puck and the Taskmaster go way back that was suprizing. Alice Hu as Vindicator III, it would be great to see some more colour in AF as apose to the "white bread" Canadians. Sure Shaman, Merina, Talisman, Windsheer, and Pathway were all visable minorites but three of the five stated are no longer with AF. I think AF should be more reflective of Canada's diversities and have more ethnic charaters involved in the book as an on going basis.
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

It would be nice for AF to get back to being more diverse. I still want to see Windshear return, either with his powers, or still depowered but wearing the Box armour. AF needs a Box. Plus, more secondary characters like Kyle. One of the things AF has always lacked was friends and family members outside the team.

Another very strong issue.

Love Snowbird acting like the goddess she is.

Marrina is the breakout character!

Another very solid issue from the team. By far one of the best Marvel series on the shelves right now and I read a LOT of Marvel books.
    Last edited by -K-M-; 10-13-2011 at 07:11 PM.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    I
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

I am loving the new series, though felt this was the weakest of the new issues (including Chaos Wars and 0.1), but still ranks better than many issues in the prior versions. I felt that the last page did not have the impact as issues 1-4, but was still intriguing. Am I the only one hoping that whatever plan Shaman and Guardian have planned solves her personality issues?

Purple Womanmakes a good villain. I hope she stays that way. (What would her mother, Laura, and Goblin think?)

I really like Marrina’s new attitude and look. While I was originally turned off but them and wanted the old Marrina back, the new one has grown on me. I cannot wait to see what FVL and GP have in store for the story behind the change. I think they have done more character development on her in one issue than all the time since Byrne. (I am not counting being a leviathan as character development.)

FVL and GP, yet again, showed their mastery over Snowbird’s transformation powers. In the original Alpha run how many animals did she transform into? Normally she turned into a wolverine, bear, owl, or Sasquatch with a lynx, mosquitoes, and a whale thrown in one time each. Now we are seeing a wide variety of animals. My one question is, when did she become bulletproof?

The underground Flight is interesting. I am looking forward to the showdown between the two Alphas and keep wondering who will be paired up fighting each other. I am routing for Alice Wu for the new Box.

The art has been spectacular. I like that Mac looks like he is in his 30s. Not too sure of Heather’s freckles. Sometimes they make her look like she is in her teens/early 20s. I am assuming she got them during the Unity processing.

Question on the unity process. Is it permanent (well, as permanent can be in comic books) or easily reversed? I was confused, were Vindicator and the others “taken apart and rebuilt” or just brainwashed?

Sorry if this was a bit long. I have been meaning to post on prior issues, but have never had time.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    I
    E
    R

S
    A
    U
    C
    E

Quote Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
    wanted the old Marrina back, the new one has grown on me. I cannot wait to see what FVL and GP have in store for the story behind the change.
    Quote Originally Posted by issue 3
    Marrina has consistently been rated Alpha Flight's most anti-social and rebellious member.
    (p2, panel 1)
    What are you talking about? What 'old Marrina'? What 'new one'? She's always been like that! The comic says so!

Not too sure of Heather’s freckles. Sometimes they make her look like she is in her teens/early 20s. I am assuming she got them during the Unity processing.
    You may be right. Well spotted!

Question on the unity process. Is it permanent (well, as permanent can be in comic books) or easily reversed? I was confused, were Vindicator and the others “taken apart and rebuilt” or just brainwashed?
    We haven't been told, but I've been assuming reversible.

- Le Messor
    Colonel Sanders: "The (self-destruct countdown) is irreversible!"
    President Skroob: "Like my raincoat!"

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

This may be my favourite issue of the series thus far!

I think the personalities of the characters are really starting to come out now. I was always kind of partial to Snowbird in the past but I dont know what it is but I have really enjoyed her in this series, especially this issue where she really demonstrates her goddess-ness. Puck has been such a joy to read and can't wait to learn more of his dark past. Loved him standing over Taskmaster with the gun - classic! I should also mention how just a few tweaks to the art can change opinion - I LOVE how dale draws both Birdy and Puck. Snowbird's billowing cape and this Puck may be the best yet! yes, even better than Byrne's.

Speaking of costumes, that brings me to Marina. I still don't like her costume but I LOVE the revamp of her. She has been the pleasant surprise of this series and truly does steal the scene every time she is shown. I never liked her in the past but this new Marina makes me literally smile every time I read her dialogue. More more more!

I am hoping that once the series is more established that FVL and GP do a few stories involving small groups of the team. Single and 2 issue stories involving odd pairings of the team. Like a mission that involves Marina, Aurora and Snowbird or another with Puck, Northstar and Shaman - something like that. Would be a great way to explore how the team interacts with each other as well as provide an opportunity to further spotlight each character's personality.

All in all, I am super excited about this series and every time I finish an issue, I cant wait for the next one. I have enjoyed every decision (with the exception of Marina's costume) the creative team has done thus far and I cant wait to see where they take the team next. I am still hoping that Talisman joins the team at some point

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

N
    O
    T

A
    T

A
    L
    L

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    Y

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    Speaking of costumes, that brings me to Marina. I still don't like her costume but I LOVE the revamp of her.
    Weird... I like her new costume, but don't like the revamp of her.

- Le Messor
    "Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip around the Sun."

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

Another good issue, couldn't fault the art and the writing flowed. Definately enjoyed the way Puck and Mac took down Citadel. Who would have thunk it, Alpha Flight co-ordinating an attack.

Oh and I managed to score myself a #3 Variant cover with the promise that the three I'm missing should be in the store when I go back for #6, along with Alpha Flight Classics vol 2, Guardian, Snowbird and The 'Sasquatch/Puck special' Eaglemoss figures. A good day all round.
    Last edited by DelBubs; 10-14-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!