Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Comics for September

Hybrid View

Default Top 100 Comics for September

Phil can give a more detailed analysis, but I would hazard that DC's 52 has had an adverse effect on sales and a true reflection on how AF is doing will not been seen before November.

Details
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

It didnt even make the top 100? not good.

i know phil even said after augusts sales that dc's launch is going to push everything down. he was right. i fully expect alpha to be right behind x-factor (which is no. 100) and again, like phil the prophet stated, the main thing is going to be the number sold, as long as it keeps it readership around the same level, it should be good. the reason that second tier books like x-factor and thunderbolts have stuck around is they have a niche and a consistent sales level.

at least, i hope.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Yeah, a lot of people are buying DC's 52 who wouldn't have normally. That's gotta ruin the bell curve.

- Le Messor
    "If a million people do a dumb thing, it's still a dumb thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Yeah, a lot of people are buying DC's 52 who wouldn't have normally. That's gotta ruin the bell curve.

- Le Messor
    "If a million people do a dumb thing, it's still a dumb thing."

More people buy #1's than any other books, most of them don't even stick it out through the whole series. Back in the 90's books like Deathlok #1 would out sell big hitters just because of the gimik of being a first issue and the "collectors" would run out and but 20 copies of these books so that they could sell at a later point in time and hope to make a killing. But the sad truth to it is that these books are worthless if the series dose not continue, or the fact that there have been so many printed and that there are about 500 people who are thinking the same thing that they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Rider View Post
    More people buy #1's than any other books, most of them don't even stick it out through the whole series. Back in the 90's books like Deathlok #1 would out sell big hitters just because of the gimik of being a first issue and the "collectors" would run out and but 20 copies of these books so that they could sell at a later point in time and hope to make a killing. But the sad truth to it is that these books are worthless if the series dose not continue, or the fact that there have been so many printed and that there are about 500 people who are thinking the same thing that they are.
    I think we should convince Marvel to number each and every issue of Alpha Flight, "Issue # 1".
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    I think we should convince Marvel to number each and every issue of Alpha Flight, "Issue # 1".
    I'm expecting a time when that will be standard for every comic.

- Le Messor
    "If a system doesn't have to be reliable, it can do anything else."

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    That could get abie confusing.
    Customer "I'd like to buy Alpha Flight #1 Pleasae"
    Store owner "eeerrr, which one? #1 vol 1, vol 2, vol 3, vol 4, or #1 from this month, or #1 from last month?"
    Customer "I don't know? Which one is the real #1?"
    Store owner "Well, vol 1 is considered to be the true #1, but due to vol 3 #12 they went back in time and brought them in to the present, So maybe vol 4 #1 is the real #1?"
    Customer "Well which one dose it have when Guardian dies in?"
    Store owner "Well he did die in vol 1 #12, but came back in #25 vol 1 but it was turned out to be a fake, but then his wife heather took the name Guardian, but she never died, and the original Guardian came back in #88 vol 1 but died again in #100 vol 1, but came back again in #129 vol 1. There was a clone of the original Guardian in vol 2, but he died, then the original Guardian along with his wife who is the second Guardian and with most of Alpha Flight died in the new Avengers, but the came back."
    Customer "...oh, What did I come here for again?"
    Store Owner " I don't know...why am I here again?"
    Last edited by Alpha Rider; 10-08-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Rider View Post
    That could get abie confusing.
    Customer "I'd like to buy Alpha Flight #1 Pleasae"
    Store owner "eeerrr, which one? #1 vol 1, vol 2, vol 3, vol 4, or #1 from this month, or #1 from last month?"
    Comics are already like that. Ever tried buying the New Mutants issues in the Appearances threads?

- Le Messor
    "If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?"

Yeah, the placement is pretty much null & void this month, and for the next few possibly.
    Sales figures will count and they should be out via ICv2's Top 300 soon, or possibly later depending on NYCC.

The thing to look at though is that all DC #1's were returnable, meaning retailers could take a chance on over-ordering and be able to return any unsold units for credit, rather than have them mounting up as dollar-bin territory so the numbers are phantom numbers, as will the next few be with reprints and variants included.

The fact that #4's dropped below X-Factor is not a good sign though.
    Looks like the Wolverine appearance can't come quick enough! *sighs*

Doesn't matter to me where Alpha Flight lands on the list. I know it's completely awesome.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default DC dominating/saturating the market

That's a lot of # 1s! If I thought that # 1s were really, really special these days, that would be an awful lot of comic goodness.

I can only afford (and I am only interested in) Alpha Flight, though. So, if the stories are good and the artwork is good and the story-telling is excellent, Alpha Flight will be well worth the effort.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

"Not as frustrated, not as disgruntled, old-school Al-Fan"...it's getting closer and closer to that change...
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Alpha Rider, that was hysterical Thanks for the huge LOL!!!
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

I don't think we need all the #1s we already have.
    But then we would never have any of the nearly-as-popular and almost-not-quite-as-lucrative Issue 2's!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

We could make them all #2s instead.

Should I make a scatalogical joke here?
    ... nah.

- Le Messor
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."
    ~ John Kenneth Galbraith