Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Future of Department H

That's fair, but maybe I should clarify?

In the new series Guardian has made repeated points that the Government initially forced him to wear the flag, and that it's the Canadian people he cares about, not politics or jingoism. Sasquatch & Snowbird have enough international adventures to suggest they don't need a home base per say.

I singled out Northstar because, even though his terrorist roots don't often influence stories, he's still fiercely proud of Quebec (depending on the writer) and that doesn't seem to change whether he's in English speaking Canada (Flight) or the US (X-Men).

Also, I meant Puck in a more joking way, since much of his personality is well-meaning stereotypes (the constant "eh"s, love of beer, complaining about nowhere to get a poutine, etc.) and Pak has already written him as against the idea of crying to "Uncle Sam" for help.

Sorry if I'm sidetracking things here, I just realize that comment might have seemed more resentful than I'd intended it. I have nothing against humanism and/or patriotism.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvian_Bruno View Post
    In the new series Guardian has made repeated points that the Government initially forced him to wear the flag, and that it's the Canadian people he cares about, not politics or jingoism. Sasquatch & Snowbird have enough international adventures to suggest they don't need a home base per say.

I singled out Northstar because, even though his terrorist roots don't often influence stories, he's still fiercely proud of Quebec (depending on the writer) and that doesn't seem to change whether he's in English speaking Canada (Flight) or the US (X-Men).

Also, I meant Puck in a more joking way, since much of his personality is well-meaning stereotypes (the constant "eh"s, love of beer, complaining about nowhere to get a poutine, etc.) and Pak has already written him as against the idea of crying to "Uncle Sam" for help.
    THIS. You make good points about these characters. It shouldn't be difficult for readers to associate Alpha Flight with Canada.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

That's fair, but maybe I should clarify?

Sorry if I'm sidetracking things here, I just realize that comment might have seemed more resentful than I'd intended it. I have nothing against humanism and/or patriotism.
    Although Mac doesn't care much for politics, he did make his "the government forced me into it" comments while defending his right to his own life to the court system while they take his daughter away from him. I realize he has said these things before, but in this series he is angry; we all say things when we are angry that get blown a bit out of proportion. I think Mac loves being a Canadian and fighting for the Canadian people. Both he and Heather proudly wear suits with the Maple Leaf emblem on their chests.

I think that Aurora is just as fiercely pro-Quebec as her brother is (and even more pro-Canada than he is), they just both show it in different ways.

Marrina...lol. Well, Marrina just wants revenge on all earthlings, right? lol.

Because the Great Beasts are linked to Walter's Sasquatch form, and because the Great Beasts are linked to the Northern hemisphere if not Canada directly, I can't see Walter wanting to be based out of anyplace other than his homeland. Especially not after he watched what happened when Americans were placed on the Omega (Alpha) Flight team...

Narya has her whole power-set based on protecting Canada from the Great Beasts, so i doubt she wants to be anywhere but Canada.

As a proud first-nations man and a role-model for so many young native men and women, I don't think Michael would want to pack up and head for America permanently, either.

Even though Walter and Snowbird have been involved in many things that took them outside their own country, that doesn't mean they should (or want to) stop being its protectors!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Sasquatch & Snowbird have enough international adventures to suggest they don't need a home base per say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Narya has her whole power-set based on protecting Canada from the Great Beasts, so i doubt she wants to be anywhere but Canada.
    Thing with Snowbird is, she shouldn't even be able to operate outside of Canada.
    Okay, they kind of ditched that fairly early in volume 1, but it's just she's an interesting one to bring up in this discussion.

- Le Messor
    "Sometimes, I think we are alone. Sometimes I think we are not. In either case, the thought is quite staggering."
    ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Even though Walter and Snowbird have been involved in many things that took them outside their own country, that doesn't mean they should (or want to) stop being its protectors!
    All very good points. I guess my argument was also largely based on the whole "commonwealth of superheroes" teaser. Captain Marvel and his kin, plus groups like Big Hero Six seem to operate outside of their respective countries, and considering how... less than ideal the Canadian government often acts in Marvel comics, the idea of them being on their own but still functioning as an organization just seemed to fall into place.

Le Messor: I mostly brought up Snowbird because she was a recurring character in Hercules, similar to Northstar in X-Men and Puck in the new Wolverine.

To be fair, Snowbird was only in a few Hercules issues, and Puck was only in a few Wolverine issues (Vindicator and Guardian have probably been in more).

considering how... less than ideal the Canadian government often acts in Marvel comics
    Currently, I'd agree with this. However, in the past it was so often Department H and their superiors, not the whole government.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Le Messor: I mostly brought up Snowbird because she was a recurring character in Hercules, similar to Northstar in X-Men and Puck in the new Wolverine.
    Yes, that's the main thing that went through my head when I read your post.

- Le Messor
    Yogi Berra (supposably), when asked what he would do if he found a million dollars:
    "I'd find the fellow who lost it, and, if he was poor, I'd return it."