Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unity Theory Speculations -

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    Whoa! Sorry guys, I didn't know that posted 3 times.
    I blame society.

Actually, I blame computers.

I think this puts the kay-bosh on it being Llan:
    Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
    When asked "What did you think of the various runs on Alpha Flight after Byrne left. Which of them stood out most to you? " FVL said this
    unless Greg has different results.

- Le Messor
    "The alternative to mutual trust, which is indeed a risky gamble, is the security of the police state."
    ~ Alan Watts

Was that last page in AF v3 really canon or a not-to-be-taken-seriously "years later, this is where each character went" type thing at the end of comedies?
    Everyone at Marvel we have ever asked that question to, said that it was canon. All true, all happened.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Everyone at Marvel we have ever asked that question to, said that it was canon. All true, all happened.
    I just reread the issue and the two pages before that they break break the fourth wall several times talking about "running out of pages", "getting a new mini" or "at least a one-shot". Regardless of Marvels' stance, I'm just gonna ignore all of v3 like the current creative team are doing! lol

What doesn't make sense to me, and I would love for Loki to chime in here, is why it is considered cannon when nobody wants to use the ideas? Given their comments so far, I doubt that this writing team is going to refer to Snowbird's supposed marriage to Yukon Jack. No one has acknowledged Mar being with Namor and I highly doubt unless it happens within the pages of AF, it ever will be acknowledged. Puck II is dead and according to Van Lente's (somewhat humorous) comments, the current team considers both her and Major Mapleleaf to be pushing up daisies. They certainly are not going to be wrapping up a dangler about the fate of their child. If someone wants to use Nemesis, now they will have to come up with a way to resurrect her. It seems to me that considering this cannon just adds to continuity baggage and further disappoints the fans when nothing may ever be done with these plot threads. It seems like there is wiggle room here because of the way that it was written. If a writer wants to use one of these plot points, then sure, consider it cannon if that ever happens. In the meantime, why cement it as cannon and just create more ugly continuity? Alpha already has enough of that.
    Stop the Goblyn hate!

I absolutely agree, Ahab. I have no use for vol. 3 whatsoever. I'm OK with Marvel saying that Major Mapleleaf II and Puck II are gone. I wouldn't have minded Zuzha Yu as a new character... just didn't like her as Puck's daughter. She may have worked better as a different character, with a different codename.
    I really don't think the vol. 3 creative team had any creativity at all. It was as if they said, "Hey, let's make a new Alpha Flight. Can't really think of any new names, so we'll just make some Major Mapleleaf and Puck kids and give them the same names. And we already had a female Plodex, so we have to really get imaginative here... I know, how about a male Plodex. Oh, and we definitely need an Inuit Tarzan running around in some elk-skin undies firing light beams like Aurora... and let's make him an arrogant jack@$$ too. And listen, while we're at it, let's make it incredibly stupid so it'll only last a dozen issues.
    Wow... haven't had a chance to rant on vol. 3 in awhile... felt good... felt really good.
    The Flight Forever !

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    What doesn't make sense to me, and I would love for Loki to chime in here, is why it is considered cannon when nobody wants to use the ideas?
    Just because a writer doesn't like it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    We can't just pick & choose what continuity to like and what to disregard; it's either all or nothing.
    Far better to do what the current writing team are doing and not contradict it, but rather just create a story where it is not needed to be referenced it all. That way if you liked it, the story is still there, if you didn't it doesn't matter.

Given their comments so far, I doubt that this writing team is going to refer to Snowbird's supposed marriage to Yukon Jack.
    Actually they did, the very first time they collectively wrote Snowbird over in Incredible Hercules #117 "Alpha Flight is dead. My marriage is over."

Puck II is dead and according to Van Lente's (somewhat humorous) comments, the current team considers both her and Major Mapleleaf to be pushing up daisies.
    They didn't return in the Chaos War oneshot, so it seems likely they're still dead.

It seems to me that considering this cannon just adds to continuity baggage and further disappoints the fans when nothing may ever be done with these plot threads.
    Again, it's only baggage if it's ever contradicted.

It seems like there is wiggle room here because of the way that it was written. If a writer wants to use one of these plot points, then sure, consider it cannon if that ever happens.
    We're almost in agreement.

Actually they did, the very first time they collectively wrote Snowbird over in Incredible Hercules #117 "Alpha Flight is dead. My marriage is over."
    To be fair, Phil, Snowbird has had two marriages.

Also to be fair, I do not know for sure still just what the heck happened at the end of Volume 3; as in, didn't they pull versions of themselves (they being Alpha Flight, of course) from the past and into the future (or present) through Shaman's medicine bag? If that is correct, then, yes, Snowy could have been talking about either of her marriages. Which one of them would have been more on her mind at the time, since (because she was pulled from the past and then placed back there eventually) we are not even sure technically which one occurred first?

Volume 3 was VERY confusing. It put a lot of people, especially us fans, off. Still, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater; there were a few good concepts in there, and some decent characters. Not all, but some. I happen to be a big fan of Yukon Jack, as you may have heard...

...maybe i can convince Freg to write him into a scene where he fights Wild Child...?...

Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

To be fair, Phil, Snowbird has had two marriages.
    http://www.alphaflight.net/showthrea...ll=1#post68044

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

Back to Unity. Frankly I hope you're ALL wrong in your speculations. I'd much rather have a new villain to come back and cause Alpha so much woe. I mean for being able to turn a whole country against you, you gotta say "Well done! The whole country? You must get up very early in the morning to do that. Well done!" and it's someone I'd like to see return.

Personally I think it's the Russians at last getting revenge for the 1972 Summit Series win.
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Just because a writer doesn't like it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    We can't just pick & choose what continuity to like and what to disregard; it's either all or nothing.
    Sure, you can pick & choose. It's called a retcon.
    Stop the Goblyn hate!

Okay, thanks for that, Phil!

Interesting that FVL chose to include a Volume 3 reference, yet claims to have stopped reading AF at around issue 50 of Volume 1...

Major Maple Leaf II: "And Centennial and Nemesis were at last reunited, and we all lived happily ever after. What? Tell the story again? Okay. Sasquatch came to me telling me I need to go back in time to stop Guardian from getting killed..."

(Two interns looking through a small window, watching a strait jacketed Major Maple Leaf speaking to no one)

Intern 1: Poor guy. Only one mission with Alpha Flight and his mind snaps under the pressure.

Intern 2: Yeah...thinks he had this whole time travel adventure and tells the story over and over again. You ever listen to his nonsense?

Intern 1: A couple times. Can you imagine...Snowbird and that Jack guy getting married? She would have turned into a polar bear and mauled that $*%$# if he even tried hitting on her...

The End.

There. Takes care of. Any future writer doesn't have to use any of it as canon, instead it was merely the ramblings of an insane man. However, if a future writer wants to reference it, they can say him mind snapped after vol. 3 but just nobody believes it actually happened (and those involved aren't saying otherwise!).

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eberly View Post
    Major Maple Leaf II: "And Centennial and Nemesis were at last reunited, and we all lived happily ever after. What? Tell the story again? Okay. Sasquatch came to me telling me I need to go back in time to stop Guardian from getting killed..."

(Two interns looking through a small window, watching a strait jacketed Major Maple Leaf speaking to no one)

Intern 1: Poor guy. Only one mission with Alpha Flight and his mind snaps under the pressure.

Intern 2: Yeah...thinks he had this whole time travel adventure and tells the story over and over again. You ever listen to his nonsense?

Intern 1: A couple times. Can you imagine...Snowbird and that Jack guy getting married? She would have turned into a polar bear and mauled that $*%$# if he even tried hitting on her...

The End.

There. Takes care of. Any future writer doesn't have to use any of it as canon, instead it was merely the ramblings of an insane man. However, if a future writer wants to reference it, they can say him mind snapped after vol. 3 but just nobody believes it actually happened (and those involved aren't saying otherwise!).
    Love it. Have you ever thought about applying as a writer for Marvel... that's better than some of their stuff.
    If anyone remembers the old TV show "Dallas", they wrote off an entire season as a "dream".
    Hey, if it's good enough for JR Ewing, its good enough for vol. 3.
    The Flight Forever !

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alphan East View Post
    Love it. Have you ever thought about applying as a writer for Marvel... that's better than some of their stuff.
    If anyone remembers the old TV show "Dallas", they wrote off an entire season as a "dream".
    I 'remember' that!
    Worked for ClanDestine, too (but they only did, like, five issues).

I vote for Jason Eberly writing the Marvel Encyclopedia entry. Loki?

- Le Messor
    "I'd explain it to you, but your brain would explode."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I 'remember' that!
    Worked for ClanDestine, too (but they only did, like, five issues).

I vote for Jason Eberly writing the Marvel Encyclopedia entry. Loki?

- Le Messor
    "I'd explain it to you, but your brain would explode."
    I treated myself about a year ago to the HC of Clandestine (first series). It reprinted 1-8 and the X-Men - Clandestine two part limited. The Last four issues of the first series have been discarded and are considered nothing more than a Dream by Rory. I can live with that. All that brings me to the point, that I would love to see Clandestine appear in Alpha at some point as part of the Commonwealth of Heroes. A person can dream, can't they ?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!