L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

I have a theory about this whole Unity thing. If we think that a certain Plodex-related old man may be behind Unity, then who is to say that he hasn't used the knowledge that he gained from the Plodex ship to make contact with an alien race that could be symbiotic in nature and now working with him? It seems that the creative team would not just rehash the brainwashing plot used in Volume 2 for this storyline. (The comment about psychotropics could just have been a ruse.) Heather told Mac that she wasn't brainwashed. What about an alien symbiote that might be controlling each individual, having access to their memories but in total control of their bodies? This would explain Heather's behavior and would make Puck's comment about the saucer people seem a little more sane. It would also give "Unity" a whole new meaning. Are there any Marvel aliens that we know of that are symbiotic in nature but don't change the appearance of the host when they have invaded? Not that it wouuld matter if none have been established to date - this could be a new malevolent species that we have never heard of before. Just a wild guess on what is happening, but an option nonetheless...
    Stop the Goblyn hate!

There were the pod-aliens that Heather discovered way back in Volume 1 when she went home to visit her parents...
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

There are a few things you have to take into consideration about Unity...

1. Why Canada? If it were an alien race out to take over the world, why would they pick Canada first? Makes me think it is someone/something already linked to Canada and quite possibly Alpha Flight.

2. Heather's claim that she hasn't been brainwashed. People who have been brainwashed don't think they've been brainwashed. From what we've seen, Unity converts/brainwashes by offering the person their dreams.

3. The current tone of Flight is very first half of Volume 1 run-ish. I doubt Pak and Van Lente will use some of the later less "iconic" Alpha ideas. I would guess we wouldn't see any ideas from past the first Dreamqueen storyline.

4. Whoever/whatever is behind Unity also has ties to mysticism, as Ranark's involvement seems to show (granted, this could be a red herring and Ranark could be serving someone else).

These things make me think that the culprit behind Unity is none other than The Dreamqueen.

There has been no mention of Cody being brought back to life via the events of Chaos War -- which means that there may be something else operating within Cody. Wasn't he brain fried by Bedlam; perhaps another entity has taken residence in him.

I can't even begin to speculate who might be behind Unity. I doubt it's the Master (he's always been more related to sci-fi storylines than supernatural one), and the reference made by Ranark the Ravager to his "masters" the Great Beasts and the one who is older than the Eartn (?) imply that the force behind Unity is supernatural. Gut feeling says "Llan the Sorceror" but I don't think Freg will be bringing folk like him and the Dreamqueen back into the fold.

It could well be a more major Marvel villain eg. Mephisto or Nightmare.

Did JB ever hint as to who may be "Lord" of the Great Beasts? Was it Somon the Artificer?

Mr Byrne explicitly stated and showed that Somon controlled the other Beasts. Without him their hatred for each other would drive them to fight each other to the death (as illustrated when Snowbird killed him in their realm, the other Beasts instantly went to war with each other). JB made them intentionally all enemies of each other and they all had weaknesses that another Beast could exploit i.e. Kolomaq (the snow Beast) was enemy to Kariooq (the corrupter/decay), Tundra (the Earth Beast) and probably Tolomaq (the fire Beast)...Kolomaq could only be defeated by being buried in the Earth (Tundra). Kariooq was shown to fear ice "the preserver" (Kolomaq), Tundra's weaknesses were natural erosion (like wind, water...Which I think may have been the powers of other now-dead Beasts...It's just a theory).

As for the Dreamqueen, I highly doubt she is behind Unity/Cody...As I pointed out in another thread, we already have one pretty good clue (from Heather's conversation with Ranark).

Sengsterooney...Ranark said that Heather served "the one of the Earth, older than he" and she said "I do, wise one." Ranark's own name may be a corruption of Ranaq the Beast's name.

Dana

BTW: Marvel's Canada would be a much better staging platform for an alien invasion than Marvel's U.S., as there are far less super-powered beings that would oppose them.
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 09-01-2011 at 02:19 AM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

BTW: Marvel's Canada would be a much better staging platform for an alien invasion than Marvel's U.S., as there are far less super-powered beings that would oppose them.
    Which i have always found to be quite stupid! In 2010, USA had 312 million people. In same year, Canada had 34 million. By that standard, Canada should have 34 superheroes for every 312 American ones. And since there are about 8 hundred thousand superheroes in the U S of A...
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Are there any Marvel aliens that we know of that are symbiotic in nature but don't change the appearance of the host when they have invaded?
    Skrulls, maybe, but it's too soon after Secret Invasion, and we've seen the team being brainwashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Which i have always found to be quite stupid! In 2010, USA had 312 million people. In same year, Canada had 34 million. By that standard, Canada should have 34 superheroes for every 312 American ones. And since there are about 8 hundred thousand superheroes in the U S of A...
    No, that's New York City. Most of America has none (until Initiative, that is).

- Le Messor
    "I'd love to, but my patent is pending."

True. But it does not negate my point (Wow! I have a point!); that being, Canada's lack of superhero presence is due to a lack of anybody creating and writing superheros from (in) Canada. As a country, she should have many more heroes (and villains!) than just the few that are known.

Gravatron is Canadian. HA there's another one. and don't forget Wolverine, who's mutan power is multi-tasking. he's on 3 teams, has his own book and makes guess appernances all on a monthly basis, so he should count as 5. (this is the new math)

sabertooth is canadian also. the comics never said but the tv show said Edmonton and the movie he was logan's brother which would make him canadian.
    Pain knows no boundries, but Puck knows pain!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Skrulls, maybe, but it's too soon after Secret Invasion, and we've seen the team being brainwashed.
    I thought you might be on to something with this, that maybe Heather was a skrull, but Ranark says: "I smell mortal woman," when she visits him, so I'm crossing this idea off the list.

Going back to the "You serve the one of the Earth, older than I," quote why don't we make a list of villains -- or maybe even heroes that could have gone bad -- that it might be?
    Off the top of my head I can think of The Master of the World, Diablo, Gilded Lily and Pestilence. All of these folks are old, are "of the Earth", and are villains of Alpha Flight. The Master, Diablo, and Gilded Lily have the ability to create duplicates of people (such as Cody), while Pestilence can take the form of anyone who is dead. However, only The Master, Diablo and Gilded Lily have the ability to brainwash people to the extent that we are seeing. Still, last we saw, The Master, Gilded Lily, and Pestilence had all died, while Diablo is involved with the Future Foundation right now.
    Another possibility has come up, the Brass Bishop. He is several centuries old, has the head of a demon capable of stealing people's souls and turning them into BB's slaves, and is "of the Earth". Plus, he works with magic, and thus would be able to handle the likes of the Wendigo, and Ranark.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Legerd; 09-01-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by batman_von_gein View Post
    sabertooth is canadian also. the comics never said but the tv show said Edmonton and the movie he was logan's brother which would make him canadian.
    In an X-men comic it was revealed he was born and raised in Canada, being kept chained up in his parents basement. He escaped and killed several people including a couple Mounties.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post

- Le Messor
    "I'd love to, but my patent is pending."
    Bah-loney! What about the Champions of L.A., the West Coast Avengers/Force Works, the Great Lakes Avengers and the Rangers? The new Defenders were based out west too. Daredevil and the Black Widow were even based in San Francisco for a time.

Ajax: Unknown

Aurora: Active

Le Beaver: Unknown

Beta Ray Bill (Canadian host body)

Box I (Roger Bochs): Deceased

Buchanan, Sam: Unknown

Cascade: Unknown

Centennial: Deceased?

Chinook I: Dead

Daydreamer: Unknown

Deadly Ernest: Deceased

Deadpool (Canadian?): Active

Diamond Lil: Deceased

Double-Trouble: Unknown

Earthmover: Unknown

Flashback: Retired

Flex: Depowered

Flinch: Unknown

Ghost Girl: Unknown

Goblyn: Unknown

Graviton: Unknown

Grizzly I: Deceased

Groundhog: Retired

Guardian: Active

Guardian Clone: Deceased

Headlok: Deceased?

Iceboy: Unknown

Jack Frost: Inactive

Jeffries, Madison: X-Men

Kane, Garrison: Deceased

Killspree: Unknown

The Living Totem: Unknown

Lynx: Unknown

Major Mapleleaf I: Retired

Major Mapleleaf II: Deceased

Manbot: Unknown

Manikin: Unknown

Mar: Unknown

Marrina: Active

The Master of the World: Believed deceased

Mauvais: Unknown

Murmur: Unknown

Nemesis I: Deceased?

Nemesis II: Deceased?

Nemesis III: Deceased?

Night Raven: Unknown

Northstar: Active

Ouija: Unknown

Pathway: Unknown

Persuasion/Purple Woman: Gone bad?

Pestilence: Unknown

Pink Pearl: Retired

Puck: Active

Puck II: Deceased

Radius: Depowered

Sabretooth: Deceased

Saint Elmo: Deceased

Sasquatch: Active

Sasquatch II: Deceased

Shaman: Active

Silverfox: Deceased

Slayback: Deceased?

Smart Alec: Deceased

Snowbird: Active

Squidboy: Deceased

Stitch: Unknown

Talisman: Active

Thunder: Unknown

Tigerstryke: Unknown

Turbine: Unknown

Vindicator II: Active

The Wendigo: Active

Wildchild: Deceased

Windshear: Depowered/Retired

Witchfire: Gone Bad

Wolverine: X-Men, X-Force, Avengers

Wyre: Unknown

Yeti: Unknown

Yukon Jack: Inactive/Insane
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 09-03-2011 at 04:57 PM.

he was logan's brother
    half-brother, wasn't he?

Dana, you forgot about the Volume 2 Sasquatch - a reluctant hero he might have been, but he deserves to be on the list anyways!