Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alpha Flight video at Marvel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I would just like to point out that I have only, at just this second, realized what a silly-sounding last name Twoyoungmen is. Wowzers, how did I not notice this before?
    it's a real Tsúùt'ínà(Sarcee) family name...John Byrne chose it for that reason.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Not implying anything (this time, though I can and do imply things on occasion), I just thought it sounded funny. It's interesting that it's a real name though. I honestly would never have guessed it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    it's a real Tsúùt'ínà(Sarcee) family name...John Byrne chose it for that reason.

Dana
    Where did you get this info? I never heard of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I would just like to point out that I have only, at just this second, realized what a silly-sounding last name Twoyoungmen is. Wowzers, how did I not notice this before?
    Not as bad as Runningwithscissors. But yes the names do have familial meanings. The same can be said for early europeans as well. The last name often indicated that persons occupation ie:Baker, Smith, etc.

DIGGER

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Rider View Post
    Where did you get this info? I never heard of this.
    I believe Mr Byrne had said he got the name from a former chief of the Sarcee. A search of certain sites in Alberta proves it's a Sarcee name (I'll PM you about it).

Dana

BTW: If anybody else is interested in researching the name, please fell free to PM me.
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 07-02-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post

Dana
    Tsu... Shu... Tzkhu... and here we are arguing over how to pronounce Shaman...
    Now Showing "Return from LurkWorld 3:Can I Have A Life Please?"

It is a bit of a tongue-twister, isn't it? LOL. The Tsúùt'ínà is the real name for the tribe...The name Sarcee is the name given to them by others.

Dana

From what I read on various sites, the Tsúùt'ínà now consider the term 'Sarcee' as offensive. It was a 'Blackfoot' term meaning 'stubborn ones'.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
    From what I read on various sites, the Tsúùt'ínà now consider the term 'Sarcee' as offensive. It was a 'Blackfoot' term meaning 'stubborn ones'.
    In that case, I think Micheal should started referring to himself as a Tsúùt'ínà Shaman. I wonder of Pak and Van Lente have heard of this.
    Now Showing "Return from LurkWorld 3:Can I Have A Life Please?"

Let's tell them!

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
    Yeah...When John Byrne originally used the term in Alpha Flight, I believe it was an accepted term (at least to the general public). As in the past, Eskimo was an accepted term for Inuit peoples (even though many of us didn't understand the words' origins/meanings and that they were offensive).

I'm all for the ignorance of the past being set right.

Dana

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

'Twoyoungmen' as a real last name - the real last name of the real medicine man, iirc - was mentioned in the v1 letters column. No, I don't know where.

I didn't like the bimbo in the video (there's no other word for how she comes across in that video - even if in real life she has a degree in astrophysics or something).

She was too much of a 'all our readers are teenage boys who only like blondes with vast... tracts of land...' type. Trying too hard, and a bit condescending.
    As has been pointed out, saying Puck was original but Marrina was not... bluh.

- Le Messor
    "There is no way to completely define your terms and ground your references."