Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must-Read AF

Default Must-Read AF

So, with the launch of Volume 4 and a lot of new readers it's always good to be able to point them in the direction of more Alpha Flight goodness.

Let's take Uncanny #109, 120-121, 139-140, X-Men/Alpha Flight 1-2 and the Byrne run of AF as granted.

Which other 5 storyarcs/individual issues, in-series or guest appearance, would you recommend that make Alpha Flight stand out and that would make new readers want to carry on digging into the teams past, specifically in the context of this current Volume 4 team?
    Last edited by Phil; 06-19-2011 at 12:44 PM.

That's a toughy. I finally settled on the five issues of the 'Crossing Line', because to my mind it's probably the only team guest appearence I recall where Alpha were treated as equals.

If it was five story arcs/issues, then I would have expanded.
    Last edited by DelBubs; 06-19-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I agree with Delbubs. The Crossing Line arc was in Avengers #319-324, with Alpha Flight appearing in #320-324. Just adding that in so new fans could get the info quick without using the hated Internet. It's not required for the history but defintely a good read and shows the team properly

Contest of Champions #1-3 series is also fun early AF. Also if you are going to include UXM #139-140, add in the Machine Man #18 appearance as well, since the other half of the team was in that book.

Marvel Two-in-One #83 and #84 of course which show the early team (although Puck and Marrina were unmentioned, a little confusing for continuity but not so bad)

The Marvel Team-Up Annual #7 is also essential for early AF history, and a great book. The characterization in that issue is spot-on so I would strongly recommend that one.

Might as well add in Avengers #272 which crossed over with Alpha Flights #39 and 40.

Secret Wars II (yes the entire series) should be read, so the events of Elizabeth Twoyoungmen's disappearance and re-appearance in AF 27 and AF 28 makes sense.

Incredible Hulk #313 has to be read to bookend Byrne's run.

Marvel Fanfare #28 is needed for the full story on Northstar's past

ROM: Spaceknight #56-58 are also good issues for Alpha Flight history

From a different era, but good to establish Puck's history with Wolverine, Wolverine #35-37 are good, but new readers might be confused by the continuity error from AF#13 when they don't seem have ever met.

Wolverine: First Class #5 is from modern times but fits perfectly into AF history, so toss that in.

I would list X-Factor #142 for its Wild Child origin story, but he's dead.

There are other appearances from way back but they don't fall into Phil's category of "useful for learning AF history".

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

I would also recommend picking up from #89 onwards of vol 1. IMHO Building Blocks was exactly what it said, the rebirth of Alpha from the dark ages after Byrne left.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Okay, I'll make it 5 storyarcs/individual issues instead.

Good on ya In that case

1. The Crossing Line : Avengers #320-324
    2. ROM: Spaceknight #56-58 (Shame that Mantlo couldn't carry this AF depiction into the main title)
    3. Crystar #11 (Puck in his element)
    4. Secret Wars 2 #4 (?) (Good depiction of Alpha)
    5. Power Pack #9-10 (Given her prominence in vol 4 this gives good insight into Marinna)
    Del

IMO AF #1-4, 9-21, 23-29, 32-46, 48-50, 52, 53, 58-60, 62 (one of my all time Favs) 64, 67-70, 74, 75, 87-90,101, 106, AFvol2 #1-5, 15-20 Omega Flight #1-5,
    MCP vol2 #1-12,

That's an awful lot for a newbie to throw themselves straight into!

As an aside, I would suggest any Alpha fan, new or old to read this, if they haven't already.

It may be prudent to address any questions that may arise from the link as new threads, so as not to hijack this one.
    Last edited by DelBubs; 06-20-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    Del

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    That's an awful lot for a newbie to throw themselves straight into!
    Well they have to know the history of AF. Plus you have to get a sence of the history of the Charaters, and because they are a team with multipule Charaters and changing line ups, there is a lot of stories and books involved.

If you were to do the must read for Spider man Amazing Fantasty 15, Amazing Spider man 14, 121, 122. One person fewer books. How he got his power, his main enemy and some of the struggles he had in school, plus how everything was going good for him and then it was taken all away and the final result. To me Spidy should have stopped after this or sometime after.

Now the more complex the charater the more books i.e. Ghost Rider would have way more books involved.
    Last edited by Alpha Rider; 06-20-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Yeah, but I'd say not all history matters straight off the bat. I'm trying to pick out key issues that would pique a new readers interest and then make them want to delve further into AF-lore.
    And with regards to the ever changing line-up, I'm talking specific to this Volume 4 team.

I'd probably go for:

Alpha Flight Special: First Flight - While it deals with a team we never see again I think this issue does well to capture Mac's attitude ad his leadership issues, springing from his Origin backups in Vol.1. And of course the Wolverine appearance may bring people in..
    Wolverine:First Class #5 - Again, the Wolverine connection, the use of Citadel and a small but focused cast.
    Marvel Team Up Annual #7 - A great use of the team, especially Marrina and her Plodex ties.
    Avengers #319-324 The Crossing Line - For the same reasons as Rob & Del. Having AF used as a powerhouse on par with The Avengers is always a good example. Heather's leadership skills point & centre, too.
    Chaos War:Alpha Flight - Possibly a tad too recent to include here, but I think the team dynamics within are the closest we'd seen to Byrne until Vol.4

Near-misses:
    Incredible Hulk Annual #8 - A good old fashioned Sasquatch slug-fest, shown as powerful enough to take on the Hulk.
    Wolverine #172 - Again, a fairly modern competent use of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Yeah, but I'd say not all history matters straight off the bat. I'm trying to pick out key issues that would pique a new readers interest and then make them want to delve further into AF-lore.
    And with regards to the ever changing line-up, I'm talking specific to this Volume 4 team.
    That would still be hard to do considering the verity of the casting. Teams are really hard to pinpoint to a handful of books to where you can get people involved in.
    AF is not your typical team book. You have 2 mutans, 1 alien, 1 Goddess, 2 armored individuals, and a person who morphes into a giant hairy beast.

The X-Men were all mutans and all shared similar probloms, yet as diverised as the inividuals are, they still are the same.
    The Fantastic Four is mostly the same four.
    The Avengers are probably the closest to what AF is, but do not contain the verity of charaters as AF dose.

The only team that I can think of is the Champions as being so diversed in power and personalities. Hercules the Demi God. Angel, amd IceMan are mutans, Black Widow ex KGB super spy, and Ghost Rider Demonic possessed stunt rider. The team was a disaster from the get go when the Black Widow was made team leader the first woman to lead a super team (this is way back in '74) Plus a lot of tension was revolved around Ghost Rider. Hercules didn't trust him, Ice Man never liked him, and when Dark Star joined the team just after fighting the Champions they accepted her in while they still feared Ghost Rider and was on GR's mind.

AF has alot of what the Champions had inter-group tension. Though AF has a longer lifespan then the Champs, and the original six (not the NHL original six) had went through extream changes. So who do you pick to focus on? They really only got together as a team a few times and argued with each other the other times that they were together.

If you really want to streamline the charters and focus in on the team then it would have to be AF vol1, 1, 12, 87-90, AF vol2 1, OF 1-5

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Rider View Post
    The only team that I can think of is the Champions as being so diversed in power and personalities.
    New Warriors, JLA, Teen Titans, Defenders...
    Just off the top of my head.

- Le Messor "One difference between a man and a machine is that a machine is quiet when well-oiled."

Like I said The only team I can think of. Don't know much about DC stuff so I'd leave it alone. The Defenders and New Warriors were diverse enough, but I don't think in the same way as AF or the Champs were. The Defenders were a "non"- Team with a rotaion of charaters, may be Dr. Strange being the only, or one of the constints like the Avengers had Cap, Iron Man, Thor as there constint charaters.