Thread: Please review #1

Default Please review #1

Looking for people to please review AF#1 vol4. Multiple reviews is not a bad thing!

I'll put something together.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default "Nerkkwad"

It's a little surprising no one hasn't taken a stab at it, already.

Here's my two cents: I wanted to like the 1st issue of the midi-series much more, but having seen the lettered preview with the impressive & menacing figure coming out of the water as "ATTUMA"---the Sub-Mariner's adversary, the usurper, the kidnapper---and then having the actual comic book refer to somebody or something called "NERKKOD" left me with a WTF moment...on the third page!

Credit where credit is due: this book features 8 of the original Alpha Flight characters, and it has been rightfully lauded for bringing back the team that truly comprises the real "Alpha Flight". But this book feels like coming into the middle of a movie: the events seem to stem from something/somewhere else. On one hand, this is a good thing: the writers don't get bogged down with long-winded exposition, though clearly a lot has happened between 0.1 and this issue. Given the meticulousness of Dale Eaglesham's storytelling, it would be surprising (and disappointing) if the gaps aren't filled in at some point, perhaps through judicious flashbacks.

This first issue demonstrates the challenge of juggling eight main characters, having them be who they are, and advancing the plotline. It only partially succeeds because we should have seen Aurora, Marrina, Sasquatch, Shaman, and Snowbird taking care of the deep-sea invaders. AF has always had a difficult time establishing their heroic credentials and this was a missed opportunity. Yes, the beginning of the book is fine, but by the middle "Nerkkod" is punching Sasquatch and Snowbird-saurus in the face pretty handily. BTW, where'd he go after Mac fell from the sky?

This issue shows promise that I hope the remaining 7 issues can deliver. The hard part comes next: a little less hype and a lot more depth.

I can't change my signature, and I realllly wanted to.
    Last edited by Garry/Al-Fan; 06-16-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: first impressions
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

#1: Awesome.

Review done