Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite/Least Favourite member of AF

Default Favourite/Least Favourite member of AF

Yes, there's a 'u' in there.

I know it's something we've all mentioned at one point, probably in the joining questionnaire, but just to get conversation flowing and to give new members a clean thread to join in to;

Who is your favourite member of the Alpha Flight family (past & present; Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Omega, Villains or associated) and why?

Who is your least favourite and why?

Favourite: Sasquatch. He's got lots of personality, has had to make some difficult choices, and has some significant imperfections
    Least Favourite: Major Mapleleaf. This character takes Canadian stereotypes to the point of being insulting. I took it as tongue in cheek for a while, but in hind-sight, he bothers the hell outta me.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Favourite: Shaman - to overcome personal and professional travesty to become a force for good...well, that's a hero.
    Least Favourite: Goblyn - nowhere near a substitute for "Wolverine"
    Last edited by Garry/Al-Fan; 07-26-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: corrected/spelling

Favorite, hard because the first eleven members of AF (The Byrne creations) all had likeable qualities. That said, Talisman stands out. Feisty, independent and not impaired by the events of her life unlike the others.
    Least Favourite. Radius and Murmur immediately come to mind. Caricatures of Northstar and Aurora imho, made me very uninterested in them as characters.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Ooo, fun. Can we get threads for favorite/least favorite villains and storylines too? *puppy eyes*

Favorite: Northstar. To start with, I can’t identify with overly altruistic heroes. Admire, yes. Connect with, no. But make no mistake, I do consider Northstar a hero. He’s never needed to be involved in any of the spandex stuff. He had fame, adoration, and fortune well before he heard of Alpha Flight. And yet he dropped it to look after a sister he never knew existed. He’s made a success of himself outside of the superhero life and sometimes in spite of it — hell, if anything, he’s living Xavier’s dream on a day-to-day basis — but he keeps coming back to throw his weight in behind the lifers who know nothing but the fight, despite what it costs him. He’s not nice. He’s arrogant. He’s quick to let people know he thinks he’s better than they are (and a lot of times, the attitude is even justified). But being a hero is about sacrifice, and, so far as I’m concerned, Northstar’s more than done his bit on that count.

I also identify with him in the role of older sibling, both in the text and on a more meta level. Trying to look after his sister has been a mostly thankless task and, meta-wise, I definitely get a jolt of empathy from the fact that he was the first mainstream gay superhero — the first one is always the one the “parents” make all of the mistakes with, and lord knows Northstar’s had to deal with some doozies from the writers, even as far back as Byrne.

And I’m also just plain old contrary some days — the more both sides of the aisle hate the guy, the more I’m determined to like him.

Least Favorite: Sasquatch. I know some folks here love Walter, so I'll just leave it at not liking him.

Favourite: Box IV, Madison's transformer version. I like him the most because he was a unique character; a mutant with tech morphing powers who could merge with a living robot, and thereby morph the robot into whatever he could imagine. Potentially, he was the most powerful Alphan going.

Least Favourite: Any of the faux Alphans from the second or third series. I honestly can't pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    I do consider Northstar a hero. He’s never needed to be involved in any of the spandex stuff. .
    But was involved with Spandex Stuff. He was an Olympic Skier.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Rider View Post
    But was involved with Spandex Stuff. He was an Olympic Skier.
    Alas for the family-friendly nature of the board forbidding me from using my favorite LOLcat response...

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    Ooo, fun. Can we get threads for favorite/least favorite villains and storylines too? *puppy eyes*
    You can make whatever threads you want no need for the yes!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Favourite? So hard to choose, but today, Heather. She's so heroic and yet 'real'. Somebody we can look up to. (Less so under Mantlo, but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    Least Favourite: Any of the faux Alphans from the second... series.
    Tha's what I was gonna say!

- Le Messor
    "Every house guest brings you happiness: some when they arrive and some when they are leaving."
    ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Who is your favourite member of the Alpha Flight family (past & present; Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Omega, Villains or associated) and why?
    Who is your least favourite and why?
    Favorite: It's always a mash up between Snowbird and Shaman. I love both of those characters, with Sasquatch coming in a very second close. Followed by Aurora and Northstar. Used to be Guardian/Mac in there - but he's been tinkered with so much, I lost interest. And if we're including all versions, Beta Ray Bill would be there as well - flying next to Sas, if not a hair ahead.

Least Favorite:
    Does Earthmover count? If so, he probably takes the top. He comes across as an attempt to oust Shaman and take his place without logic.
    If he doesn't count - without a doubt Manikin takes the cake. There are no words to describe my dislike of that character that would do my seething hatred any justice.

Favorite would be puck hes a fun charactor with a cool additude and personality and look least fave probably any one from vol 3 even though i dont have first hand experience since not reading it
    Fan of Wolverine X-Men and Alpha Flight

I really like most of the Byrne characters, but my favorite is probably Heather. She's always had a strong will, was brave and a fighter even before she put on the power suit and she always had the Alpha Flight co-creator and "team mom" vibe (which in no way is a bad thing) going on. Her road to becoming leader of Alpha (under Byrne) was a great storyline.

I really didn't like any of the Volume 2 newbies, but my least favourite would have to be Murmur (she just had "hero mash-up, rip-off" written all over her).

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 05-22-2011 at 02:57 PM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Favorite: tough, Box, Feedback lead the way I guess.
    Least: Pointer or USAgent won't count, neither part of AF, so that's tough too, Sant Elmo was pretty pointless
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Favorite: Byrne's Madison Jeffries. Just a simple, uneducated, unattractive, ditch digger with incredible power. Before he became a handsome transformer prone to brainwashing and strange facial hair.

Least Favorite: There were a lot of terrible, pointless creations post-Byrne in Alpha Flight. Silver, Auric, Goblyn, Wyre, Stitch!? Ugh. But worst of all has to be Manikin. No doubt about it. I'd pay good money to read a comic where he dies on panel. Just an unheroic, senseless death. Kicked by a horse or something.