Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The #0.1 Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by varo View Post
    i have 0% complaints about this issue. 0.000000%
    I finally picked up my copy of 0.1 at my LCS today - was too busy last week to visit even though every molecule in my body wanted to.

Good news: my LCS sold out of the issue and will be ordering more. Yay.

More good news: I loved it. Even though I'd read the preview pages (about 7 of them online), I took the time to re-read before segueing into the rest of the story. Like Varo, I have 0 complaints. Zero. This is Alpha Flight back the way it's meant to be.

And I loved the non-action scenes: Mac and Heather on their day off, Northstar and Kyle in their apartment.

Bring on #1 is all I can say, and let's hope that it continues on to #9 and beyond!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    The team has a championship skiier (though he swears he's not on the team).
    Devil's Due department:
    He wasn't even there in that scene.

i loved the purple people monster and could care less about the physics that go into it
    Yeah, me too.
    Okay, I cared, but not *that* much.

and i love marinas new attitude. she is a teenager revolting against the establishment and trying to find herself. we have all been there.
    I'm with Tawmis on this one. We haven't all gone totally off the deep end like she does here. It was done so stupidly. She stands around, posing with (most of) her team, then after a _some time_ (unknown amount) suddenly goes off at the cameras that she's just been posing for.
    And does it as if they're focussing on her and her alone. Which they aren't.

It's going to take a lot of work in the main 8 issues to convince me of her attitude here.

- Le Messor
    "The generosity of your time is the most valuable gift you can give."
    ~ Sara Henderson
    Last edited by Le Messor; 05-23-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I'm with Tawmis on this one. We haven't all gone totally off the deep end like she does here. It was done so stupidly. She stands around, posing with (most of) her team, then after a _some time_ (unknown amoutn) suddenly goes off at the cameras that she's just been posing for.
    And does it as if they're focussing on her and her alone. Which they aren't.

It's going to take a lot of work in the main 8 issues to convince me of her attitude here.
    Yeah, exactly. I think if Marrina had been shown making any effort to avoid the cameras and had been followed or even just filmed as she walked away before she rounded on them, then the scene would have come off better. Marrina's the character who's gone through the biggest change, and yet she got the least amount of exposure and set-up in the issue, and I really think she needed it. I'm hoping we get a more rounded view of her character in the next issue, more than the line about the "alien pride" MB, because after all the hardship's Marrina's endured, I'd hate for the bold new direction chosen for her to amount to her being heaped up with a lot of unfocused, reflexive rebellion. Fingers crossed that they're going somewhere with it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    Fingers crossed that they're going somewhere with it.
    I'm sure they will.
    Fingers also crossed. And eyes.

- Le Messor
    "The art of pleasing consists in being pleased."
    ~ William Haslitt

Could we get these reviews (including your own!) blobbed together into a "#0.1 Review Dump" post? And do that for each subsequent issue as they are posted, something like that.

EDIT- Good idea Rob; See http://www.alphaflight.net/showthrea...ilation-Thread - Phil
    Last edited by Phil; 05-25-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Addition of thread URL - Phil
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    The giant purple people monster was a bit silly...I also don't get Shaman's astral self leaving his body and his body being able to still perform surgery, that too was a bit out there.
    Dana
    Why? Remember, they came back from the whole dead thing more powerful than before. I think this is a perfect way of being very subtle about acknowledging that.

i loved the purple people monster and could care less about the physics that go into it and i love marinas new attitude. she is a teenager revolting against the establishment and trying to find herself. we have all been there.
    Sure, _we_ have all been there. Because we're human. As she kindly pointed out, she's an alien. And who knows if she's in her "teenage" years. And it's not like she displayed this behavior before - oh, except - when she CHANGED INTO THE ACTUAL ALIEN FORM! So wouldn't the rest of AF be like, "Uh, hey, that attitude, kind of reminds me of when you gutted Puck..."

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    Yeah, exactly. I think if Marrina had been shown making any effort to avoid the cameras and had been followed or even just filmed as she walked away before she rounded on them, then the scene would have come off better. Marrina's the character who's gone through the biggest change, and yet she got the least amount of exposure and set-up in the issue, and I really think she needed it. I'm hoping we get a more rounded view of her character in the next issue, more than the line about the "alien pride" MB, because after all the hardship's Marrina's endured, I'd hate for the bold new direction chosen for her to amount to her being heaped up with a lot of unfocused, reflexive rebellion. Fingers crossed that they're going somewhere with it.

Marrina has gone through the biggest change? Say what? You don't think maybe Mac has? The dude's died, not died, been cloned, had a clone be with his wife, had a robot pretend to be him, while it turns out he was out in space, and died AGAIN... I mean even Phoenix is like, "Dude, you're crampin' my style."

I much preferred Marrina when she was written with that innocence and nativity. Everyone else on the team is so wizened and experienced, it'd been nice to have SOMEONE on the team that contradicted those qualities the rest of them have.

Marrina has gone through the biggest change? Say what? You don't think maybe Mac has? The dude's died, not died, been cloned, had a clone be with his wife, had a robot pretend to be him, while it turns out he was out in space, and died AGAIN... I mean even Phoenix is like, "Dude, you're crampin' my style."
    The biggest change in terms of personality.

I don't remember, but was it ever mentioned in any of the Alpha Flight series that Mac and Heather were aware that Gary Cody was killed?
    If so, I guess that is one thing that strikes me as a little strange in this first issue. I always assumed that they knew. If they did, why would they be so casual about him being back and running for office?

Teenage Marrina?

Hey, maybe this isn't Marrina, maybe this is one of her and Namor's kids, who somehow took the place of her Mom, was turned into Leviathan, died....

BTW, did I say I loved seeing them all in action again? I LOVED IT!
    Now Showing "Return from LurkWorld 3:Can I Have A Life Please?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    I don't remember, but was it ever mentioned in any of the Alpha Flight series that Mac and Heather were aware that Gary Cody was killed?
    If so, I guess that is one thing that strikes me as a little strange in this first issue. I always assumed that they knew. If they did, why would they be so casual about him being back and running for office?
    You know, I can't recall if Heather knew about Cody's "death" (Mac was "dead" at the time)...IIRC, she did learn he let Bedlam loose.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Images

Why? Remember, they came back from the whole dead thing more powerful than before.
    Actually, I'd forgotten. Hm...

I always assumed that they knew. If they did, why would they be so casual about him being back and running for office?
    I've been assuming, too. It seems really unlikely that they wouldn't know - especially since, as BigBloo mentioned, they found out he unleashed Bedlam.
    That said, MAC having a problem with someone coming back from the dead?

- Le Messor
    "I’d love to, but I prefer to remain an enigma."

Anybody know how well they did with Jean Paul's Quebecois French?...Sylvie? I was wondering about that.

Oh...And I also love that Heather appears to be using an electro-magnetic suit, Like Mac...I won't miss the Geo suit, really.

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 05-28-2011 at 01:24 AM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

FYI - Some answers from the creators:

1. When Aurora shrugged off Citadel, was she just moving her hand at top speed to shake up/damage his arm within the adamantium or was she using the power shown in the Weapon X series where she could actually increase the velocity of another object? There has been a little debate as to what occurred in that situation.

The former.

2. I always assumed that the Hudsons knew that Gary Cody had been killed by Bedlam. I admit that I can't remember if this was ever acknowledged in the series though. Is it safe to assume that they didn't know, hence why they are not bothered that he is running for office? Or are they just resigned to the fact that other dead people have returned to the land of the living as well, such as Citadel?

These, along with a couple other niggling continuity things, are generally ignored so newbies aren't completely lost. We want to introduce as many new fans as we can to the Flight without them requiring a PhD in Flightology. For one thing, if memory serves, Bedlam didn't kill Cody, he rendered him brain dead. But to answer your question directly -- more the latter. The Hudson (particularly Mac) have come back from the dead themselves, along with Marrina and Shaman, the return of Cody, to them, is not hugely noteworthy.

Images

We want to introduce as many new fans as we can to the Flight without them requiring a PhD in Flightology.
    So all my study was for nothing?

the return of Cody, to them, is not hugely noteworthy.
    LOL! I love it!

- Le Messor
    "I’d love to, but I’m going through cherry cheesecake withdrawal."

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    Anybody know how well they did with Jean Paul's Quebecois French?...Sylvie? I was wondering about that.

Dana
    It should be ok. I remember reading over at Eaglesham's Alpha Club forum that his wife was a Quebecois and was proofreading the French parts/
    Now Showing "Return from LurkWorld 3:Can I Have A Life Please?"