Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Ongoing Movie Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Well....

With regards to Moira, she has her mind wiped to forget meeting Charles, and I think the ending indicates she leaves the CIA.
    As to the age thing... well, it's like Franklin Richards still being 8. It can be overlooked for the sake of a good story.
    Although does it ever state the date in 1-3? I can't remember.
    And I've seen Vaughn, Goldman, Singer & Fox contradict themselves a lot and say it's a reboot in one place and a sequel in another.
    I believe (IIRC) X-Men said something about the near future (and the movie came out in 2000?). As far as those who made the film not being able to decide if its a reboot or not....well...If even they can't decide, then I have to ask what is the point of even making the movie? I know...Money...And it doesn't matter if the movie makes sense or not (as long as it has lots of flash and bang and makes them money).

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 06-09-2011 at 01:06 AM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
    X-Men First Class. Enjoyable watch, but James McAvoy really began to grate on me early into the film. As this is a reboot of the whole X-Men franchise movie wise I guess the continuity glitches aren't really an issue. Will add it to the DVD collection when it comes out, but Green Lantern looks a better bet. That said, appearences can be deceiving.
    I really enjoyed it, but I expect to enjoy Green Lantern less (but still enjoy it).
    I'll definitely add it to my collection.

There's nothing after the credits.

Well....

Although does it ever state the date in 1-3? I can't remember.
    "The near future," as Dana pointed out - which puts it some time between 2000 (when it was released) and late 2001.

With regards to Moira, she has her mind wiped to forget meeting Charles, and I think the ending indicates she leaves the CIA.
    There's no reason she can't have changed jobs. Was she ever CIA in the comics? (I don't know that she was, but it wouldn't surprise me.)
    A lack of accents was a problem for me, and they failed on Shaw. Others were cool, though.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    As far as those who made the film not being able to decide if its a reboot or not....well...If even they can't decide, then I have to ask what is the point of even making the movie? I know...Money...And it doesn't matter if the movie makes sense or not (as long as it has lots of flash and bang and makes them money).
    That's fair enough.
    All I know is that originally I wasn't going to watch it because I thought it looked rubbish & when I did I expected to hate it.
    I was pleasantly suprised.
    It's a decent popcorn movie, I'd recommend watching it on dvd or tv if you don't want to pay for it.

Can super hero movies be any thing else but popcorn movies? Doesn't the genre negate the possibility of there ever being a Super Hero blockbuster that people will talk about for years?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Images

Doesn't the genre negate the possibility of there ever being a Super Hero blockbuster that people will talk about for years?
    I wouldn't think so... There's more than one Batman movie people have been talking about for years.

What's wrong with popcorn movies, though? (Freudian typo: accidentally put two 'o's in 'pop'... good thing I caught it before anyone found out.)

- Le Messor
    "Anything that can become tangled around something else, will."
    ~ J.D. Boatwood

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I wouldn't think so... There's more than one Batman movie people have been talking about for years.
    True, but the subject matter does imho limit what can be done with super hero movies. The Batman movies that people seem to recall are the ones were the performances of some of the actors are memorable and not so much the story.
    What's wrong with popcorn movies, though? (Freudian typo: accidentally put two 'o's in 'pop'... good thing I caught it before anyone found out.)
    I have no problem with popcorn movies, probably make up the majority of my DVD collection. From my viewpoint it would seem that most hero movies are popcorn not classics.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Images

From my viewpoint it would seem that most hero movies are popcorn not classics.
    True, but I usually find the 'classics' to be boring. Movies made for snobs, not for people... does that make sense?

- Le Messor
    "Some people pay a compliment as if they expect a receipt."
    ~ Kin Hubbard

True, but I usually find the 'classics' to be boring. Movies made for snobs, not for people... does that make sense?

- Le Messor
    "Some people pay a compliment as if they expect a receipt."
    ~ Kin Hubbard
    Makes perfect sense. Nothing better than sitting amongst people discussing the artistic merits of 'Trois couleurs: Rouge' and thinking 'what a bunch of pretentious ****'. I have nothing against classic movies per se, but people tend to use them to go further up the social ladder. I like explosions, cataclysmic events, but some story amongst all that helps.
    Del

I enjoyed X-men as well. I kind of deliberately ignored everything I knew about X-men continuity so as not to get all worked up. Was excited about the possibility of Charles + Moira as it is a natural lead in to Proteus, which would be an interesting character to see on the big screen.

I saw Book of Eli, too. I thought it was ok, but since I watched it just after seeing Rango, they both kinda reminded me of each other, which was weird.

Pirates of the Carribean 4 was pretty bad. Hangover 2 was not as funny as the first one.
    Now Showing "Return from LurkWorld 3:Can I Have A Life Please?"

Some would argue that the first Superman (Christopher Reeve) movie is a classic, as well as the first (Michael Keaton) Batman movie. Not that I would really argue them as classics, but many people do and many people also hold Chris Reeve up as the pinnacle of what Superman should be.

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 06-12-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

- Le Messor

No wonder some theatre corn tastes like $#!+ (couldn't resist). And hey they tried doing a superhero movie that was more cerebral----Ang Lee's HULK and look what happened.

DIGGER Ebert

So recently have watched Green Lantern and Transformers 3. Well with Transformers 3 I feighned interest for the first half hour and then gave up. Neither of them set my world on fire, so am hoping that Harry Potter 7.2 lives up to the hype. Captain America looks good as well, but looking good does not always equate to good.
    Del

Images

So recently have watched Green Lantern and Transformers 3. Well with Transformers 3 I feighned interest for the first half hour and then gave up. Neither of them set my world on fire, so am hoping that Harry Potter 7.2 lives up to the hype. Captain America looks good as well, but looking good does not always equate to good.
    I saw Green Lantern, enjoyed it, but it's hardly the best movie ever.
    Saw Harry Potter 7.2 last night - it was a decent finish to the series.

- Le Messor
    "Stalinism begins at home."
    ~ Tom Neff

Harry Potter 7.2 rounded off the series nicely, but I felt gypped. Maybe my expectations where to high? I've set up four of my DVD's for the PSP and am going to watch 'Jonah Hex', 'Solomon Kane', 'Predators' and 'Matewan' over the next few days. The only one of those I expect to be something beter than the norm is Matewan.
    Del

Images

Jonah Hex?

I refuse to watch anything with the name 'Akiva Goldsman' attached in a writing / producing role!

- Le Messor
    "There’s nothing wrong with being a self-made man if you don’t consider the job finished too soon."
    ~ John Mooney