Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Ongoing Movie Thread

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
    I really enjoyed it, then again I am a big fan of Daredevil. Blame Miller for that . The movie was not that well received as I recall. Though how anyone can not like a film that has Evanesence on the OST is beyond me.
    (This came up while I was typing my own reply...)

Hey, I've disliked films with Queen on the soundtrack... And Queen are my favourite band, not just a band I collect (unlike Evanescence).

Did Cyclops ever mention his older brother Havok in X1, X2, or X3?

If not, then maybe in the movies they aren't related at all. As much as we would like them to, movies do NOT follow comic books very accurately; if they did, they'd be comic books, not movies.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    (This came up while I was typing my own reply...)

Hey, I've disliked films with Queen on the soundtrack... And Queen are my favourite band, not just a band I collect (unlike Evanescence).
    I know of two 'Highlander' and 'Flash'. Unless we're talking one offs in various movies. Enjoyed Highlander apart from Lamberts eyes. Not natural I tell ya! Flash is tongue in cheek and anything with Brian Blessed in it imediately enters into legend
    Last edited by DelBubs; 04-21-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Told ya I was crap at typing :-(
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Did Cyclops ever mention his older brother Havok in X1, X2, or X3?
    No, but in comics how long before they knew about each other?
    Also, given that in the trailer Havok (inaccurately to the comics) has Cyclops's power signature...
    (That might get changed for the movie.)

I know of two 'Highlander' and 'Flash'. Unless we're talking one offs in various movies. Enjoyed Highlander apart from Lamberts eyes. Not natural I tell ya! Flash is tongue in cheek and anything with Brian Blessed in it imediately enters into legend
    I love both those films; we're talking one-offs. AFAIK, (which isn't very far), the two Evanescence tracks weren't written for Daredevil, so I'm not just counting stuff written for movies here. (They also wrote One Vision, or at least it first saw light of day, in a movie called Iron Eagle.)
    (Also, Brian May - the Queen one - wrote the score for a French movie called Furia.)

Anyway, the take-home from all this is, Queen songs have been used in dull films.

- Le Messor
    "Inside my heart is breaking,
    My make-up may be flaking,
    But my smile still stays on."
    - The Show Must Go On, appropriately np

After mucho discussion (well nagging from me) it's been agreed that this thread would be there for discussion, reviews etc on any movie you care to natter about.

With that in mind, I watched a fairly recent film this morning, 'The Book of Eli'. Extremely enjoyable. A bit like Fallout 3, but with actors.
    Last edited by DelBubs; 04-23-2011 at 09:45 AM.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Images

I haven't seen Book of Eli, though it does sound intriguing. (From what I've heard. I've been spoiled for the twist. )

I saw Thor, though... thought that was fun.
    1. Stay to the end.
    2. 2D. The 3D isn't bad or anything, it's just a bit unneccessarrryyy, and darkens it a lot.

- Le Messor
    Angel: I watched you, and I saw you called. It was a bright afternoon out in front of your school. You walked down the steps... and... and I loved you... 'Cause I could see your heart. You held it before you for everyone to see. And I worried that it would be bruised or torn. And more than anything in my life I wanted to keep it safe... to warm it with my own.
    Buffy: That's beautiful. Or taken literally, incredibly gross.
    Angel: I was just thinking that, too.

Is Thor one of these lead ins into 'The Avengers' movie that is supposed to be in the offing? I read somewhere that both Thor and Captain America have been given the green light for sequels.
    Del

Images

Is Thor one of these lead ins into 'The Avengers' movie that is supposed to be in the offing?
    It is... it definitely is.
    It looks like the Avengers movie is gonna be big...

- Le Messor
    "I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose."

X-Men First Class. Enjoyable watch, but James McAvoy really began to grate on me early into the film. As this is a reboot of the whole X-Men franchise movie wise I guess the continuity glitches aren't really an issue. Will add it to the DVD collection when it comes out, but Green Lantern looks a better bet. That said, appearences can be deceiving.
    Del

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Sorry Tawmis, but I disagree with that statement. It is closer to a reboot than a prequel, and only uses a few characters from the original movie trilogy. This will become its own franchise.
    It makes me long for the day that Fox will no longer have the rights to make X-Men films.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I have not seen X-Men: First Class and I have no intentions to do so. Thank you Tawmis for your review, which laid out all the reasons why I wouldn't want to see it. Plus there are just far too many things wrong with the movie (that I learned of, before reading your review) that would keep from ever enjoying it. I know this is supposed to be a reboot, but I just wish they would have actually gone back to the original X-Men story, instead of this half-a$$ed, mish-mash of characters.

I'd actually like to check out Thor, though. I actually liked Iron man and sort of liked Iron Man II (even though I don't care for any of those comics characters themselves).

Dana

I was pretty much dragged to see X-Men:First Class and I actually really enjoyed it.

It's definitely a prequel to Singer's 2 X-films rather than a reboot. Very much in-continuity and style.

The only film it clashes with slightly is X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and even then that can be explained as Wolverine's memories or the like.

I'd honestly recommend watching it, if only when it comes out on dvd rather than at theatres.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I was pretty much dragged to see X-Men:First Class and I actually really enjoyed it.

It's definitely a prequel to Singer's 2 X-films rather than a reboot. Very much in-continuity and style.

The only film it clashes with slightly is X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and even then that can be explained as Wolverine's memories or the like.

I'd honestly recommend watching it, if only when it comes out on dvd rather than at theatres.
    I thought there were supposedly all kinds of continuity differences between First Class and the other X-movies?

Spoilers:

Highlight to reveal...

Like Moira being a CIA agent in X:FC, but a scientist in X3...Charles claiming he first met Magneto at 17...Plus the movie takes place over 40 years ago, yet it shows a young cyclops, Jean and Storm in the Cerebro scene (which would mean they are 50+ years old in X-Men 1-3, Beast would be over 60)...Also, the director claims its a reboot.

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 06-08-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Well....

With regards to Moira, she has her mind wiped to forget meeting Charles, and I think the ending indicates she leaves the CIA.
    As to the age thing... well, it's like Franklin Richards still being 8. It can be overlooked for the sake of a good story.
    Although does it ever state the date in 1-3? I can't remember.
    And I've seen Vaughn, Goldman, Singer & Fox contradict themselves a lot and say it's a reboot in one place and a sequel in another.

There were a few more glitches that made me think it was a reboot. However they define it, it does allow for a few more X-Men films to boost the coffers. I think I read some where there's a follow up scheduled for 2014.
    Del