Thread: The Whole X-Men Thing.

Default The Whole X-Men Thing.

Many many years ago, back when men were men and sheep were frightened I picked up a Graphic Novel called 'Dazzler : The Movie'. As a result of that, the whole anti mutant thing became very prevelant. Today I picked up 'Essential X-Men', which is reprints of recent X-Men stories. Lo and behold, anti mutant sentiment, the X-Men still trying to fit in and the government undecided. From a personal viewpoint I would really like for Marvel to let it go. The X-Men seem to have become 'Eastenders' for super types. It's so depressing and repetative. Just an opinion.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Well, I know nothing of the 'Eastenders' series, but the anti-mutant "thing" has waxed and waned over the years. The X-Men were even accepted as heroes on at least two occasions and mutant-hatred died down considerably. I think it makes sense for anti-mutant racism to remain, though...It's not as if racism has gone away in real life, IMHO it makes no sense to eliminate it (including racism against mutants) from comics.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Eastenders is an angst driven soap opera over here. It must put the Samaritans on stand by every time it's on, it's so depressing . In regards to the X-Men, I can understand there's always going to be anti mutant sentiment, but to my mind that's all the X-Men stories are about. I think maybe it would be nice to have something good happen in the X-Mens lifes instead of what sems like them lurching from one angst driven drama to the next.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I certainly agree with you on something good happening (sometimes if rarely, good things do happen)...And yet without bad stuff happening, it would be a very boring read. It's the nature of drama, I guess.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    I certainly agree with you on something good happening (sometimes if rarely, good things do happen)...And yet without bad stuff happening, it would be a very boring read. It's the nature of drama, I guess.
    Dana
    I agree it makes for good drama, but from what I've read of the X-Men, it just seems constant. Then again a lot of drama these days is angst driven. I guess from a personal viewpoint it just gets a bit jarring. Still it must be working somewhere as , unless I'm totally out the loop, X-Men is still Marvels best seller.
    Del

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Oh, you want development and forward movement. Oh.
    From X-Men...

The mutant thing has got worse, (though, as mentioned it's been better in the past) to the stage they're labelling mutants a separate species, apparently not knowing what the word means.

- Le Messor
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
    ~ Douglas Adams
    Last edited by Le Messor; 04-11-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

Great essay, Le Messor. You pretty much hit every point I would make for why I don't collect any mutant titles. I just don't care about their angst ridden dilemma of the week. Now they are going to have a Civil War, er I mean Schism. The last two X books I've read and enjoyed were Whedon's Astonishing and Parker's First Class. Whedon was all about bringing character to the forefront again and Jeff Parker's pseudo classic take was the most pure fun I've read from Marvel in a long, long time (still need to read the Finals mini though).

I can't remember the mainstream X-men just being heroes and not solely caught up in their own troubles. Xavier's purpose for the X-men died a long time ago.
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52

Images

Thanks DaVeO.
    I love Whedon's run, but I would... I only read the Alpha Flight issue of First Class, but it was a good one.

- Le Messor
    "This is not a Whedon quote."

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Thanks DaVeO.
    I love Whedon's run, but I would... I only read the Alpha Flight issue of First Class, but it was a good one.

- Le Messor
    "This is not a Whedon quote."
    Oh, you're talking Wolverine First Class. That was good too when Fred Van Lente was writing it. I mean the actual X-Men:First Class series with the original five. Silver Age goodness without the Silver Age dialogue, real fun and if you have Marvel Digital I urge you to check it out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x-menfirstclass1&#46.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	912
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaVeO View Post
    Oh, you're talking Wolverine First Class. That was good too when Fred Van Lente was writing it. I mean the actual X-Men:First Class series with the original five. Silver Age goodness without the Silver Age dialogue, real fun and if you have Marvel Digital I urge you to check it out.
    Ooh, I hate it when I make the rookie mistakes.

I've seen X-Men First Class around. Might check it out if I get a chance. (I'm hoping to finish off my actual Silver Age X-Men collection soon, too.)

I also enjoyed the first TPB of X-Men Forever.

- Le Messor
    "I try to leave out the parts that people skip."
    ~ Elmore Leonard

X-Men Forever was a fun, cracktacular romp indeed. Oh, the many, many Claremont-isms. Couldn't take it seriously for a moment, but you know, sometimes that is a truly excellent thing to be able to say about a comic.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    X-Men Forever was a fun, cracktacular romp indeed. Oh, the many, many Claremont-isms. Couldn't take it seriously for a moment, but you know, sometimes that is a truly excellent thing to be able to say about a comic.
    Agreed!