Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wishlist for the new Alpha Flight maxi...

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Fix what needs fixin'...while there's still time

Okay, if MARVEL isn't interested in making this take the best it can be, then no one should be surprised if the response is luke-warm, too. The "Inuit" issue should have been settled a while ago, yet it is in the "Snowbird" sidebar accompanying the Tuesday Q & A...Snowbird's DEMI-goddessness is what makes her able to do what the Old Gods can't...I didn't mean to imply that J-M is actually THE Greek/Roman Goddess "Aurora", just that she is named after a very powerful being...

1 on 1, SASQUATCH should mop the floor with just about anybody other than the Hulk, or show why that ain't happening...FAST.

Apprehensive...very apprehensive.
    Last edited by Garry/Al-Fan; 04-21-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Something is usually better than nothing.

Unless that something sullies the greatness of something important to you. Which, of course, is subjective, a different take on that for every different person.

I'll wait and see. I am sure there will be things I do not like or do not prefer. Will the good outweigh the bad? For me, I am pre-supposing that it will. Looks good to me!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

I'm sure somebody said "Something is usually better than nothing" all throughout the Mantlo era. That proved to be categorically wrong.
    I'm sure somebody said "Something is usually better than nothing" during volume 2 when Heather, Judd, and Diamond Lil got mind-wiped while the new "Alpha Flight" couldn't even beat Mesmero.
    I'm sure somebody said "Something is usually better than nothing" when the plodex-ship inexplicably captured the entire team in volume 3, then created dopplegangers.
    I'm sure somebody said "Something is usually better than nothing" when Walter/Sasquatch took on all four members of the Wrecking Crew by himself...
    Last edited by Garry/Al-Fan; 04-22-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Just be satisfied with what you get...
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

...once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    1 on 1, SASQUATCH should mop the floor with just about anybody other than the Hulk, or show why that ain't happening...FAST.

Apprehensive...very apprehensive.
    Citadel's coated in pure adamantium though.
    A punch from that would move Sas.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Citadel vs. Sasquatch & Aurora, Purple Woman vs. Guardian & Northstar, AF imprisoned

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I believe that. I think Citadel is a good character (and a good adversary for AF).

I am apprehensive that a single adversary keeps giving the team (or several members of the team) so much grief.

Seeing these four characters getting put through their paces by two adversaries (one of whom seems to be a former Betan) just doesn't make me want to rush right out, buy a boat-load of copies, and sing praises about how great everything is.

If you see a car only has 3 tires, the engine is on fire, and the steering wheel is gone, would you still buy it?

...once upon a time.

We need Caliber to come back and give the team a run for their money. What?...He can do it....Caliber is awesome!

LOL!

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Adamantium only lends invulnerability, not strength. If I punched Sas with Adamantium knuckles, I'd proably end up more hurt than him.
    I know nothing about Citadel.

If you see a car only has 3 tires, the engine is on fire, and the steering wheel is gone, would you still buy it?
    ... not seeing the problem?

You're right, of course, that 'something is better than nothing' can be very, very wrong... but as I've said, I'm trying to remain positive about the first Alpha Flight book in thirty years that has Alpha Flight in it.

- Le Messor
    "I was thinking about how a status symbol of today is those cell phones that everyone has clipped onto their belt or purse. I can't afford one. So, I'm wearing my garage door opener."

I believe that. I think Citadel is a good character (and a good adversary for AF).

I am apprehensive that a single adversary keeps giving the team (or several members of the team) so much grief.

Seeing these four characters getting put through their paces by two adversaries (one of whom seems to be a former Betan) just doesn't make me want to rush right out, buy a boat-load of copies, and sing praises about how great everything is.

It's interesting to read comments from someone that is very hesitant about this new series when the rest of the group is so excited about it. Seriously. I hope you are pleasantly surprised when it comes out. I am eagerly anticipating it, but figure there may be some things that I might not like so much. Stands to reason that the creative team isn't going to appease everybody. I'm just hoping for a good mazi-series, as my concern is that this will be a fun ride but there won't be enough of a demand to keep it going. I hope I am proven wrong!

FVL and Pak have taken series and characters that were luke-warm ("meh") to most people beforehand, and appaently made them into something golden (a calf?).

I'm hopefully optimistic. With a side-order of "please don't dash my dreams into tiny fragments and stomp on them".
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    FVL and Pak have taken series and characters that were luke-warm ("meh") to most people beforehand, and appaently made them into something golden (a calf?).
    Without saying anything about the new Alpha specifically, a lot of people make things more popular by adding the same darkness and angst and whatever. It starts to look generic.
    Everything these days has to be really, really serious until it loses all sense of fun. It has to be really, really dark, until it loses all sense of light and hope. It has to be really, really militaristic until it loses all sense of individuality (which the real military doesn't, btw).

More popular is not the same as better.

- Le Messor
    "It's called a fantasy, Clark. An escape. Something, I dunno, more magical than we have in our normal lives."
    "Did you and Chloe just swear off whimsey? Was there a memo?"
    - Lois Lane (s'rously, I had Smallville playing as I typed, and that line just came on then.) (Ironically, Smallville is much darker in that season.)

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    More popular is not the same as better.
    Of course, but it would be nice if Van Lente and Pak help make the characters appealing (and more accessible, if need be) to a larger audience...It means more of a chance that Alpha Flight will be a success (and go beyond the proposed 9 issues). As far as I can tell, Hercules hadn't been altered much (if at all), when he became a hit (he was pretty much the same old Hercules)....Somehow they reached new readers and grew his fanbase. If such a thing can happen with Alpha Flight, yet keep the characters true to who they are, then all the better, I say.

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 04-23-2011 at 12:04 AM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    Hercules hadn't been altered much (if at all), when he became a hit .... If such a thing can happen with Alpha Flight, yet keep the characters true to who they are, then all the better, I say.
    That would be ideal!

- Le Messor
    "I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the guy next to me."
    ~ Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    That would be ideal!

- Le Messor
    "I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the guy next to me."
    ~ Woody Allen
    If these guys can't do it successfully, I doubt anyone will be able to.

Maybe Citadel is now a robot-powered boy.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

I hope Sasquatch doesn't become a punching bag and returns back to being one the elite powerhouses.