Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wishlist for the new Alpha Flight maxi...

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr View Post
    One of my favourite late-stage Alpha storylines that was touched on but never really told properly that I would love to see something done with is seeing Jeanne-Marie having to come to grips with living the superhero life and having these powers that she hates. I love the idea of her grudgingly using them and growing into a hero in her own right, apart from Aurora.

My dream Aurora is one with the straight-up two personalities, Aurora and Jeanne-Marie stuck sharing a body, hopefully having overcome their duel for dominance years ago, potentially with a third lurking in the shadows to take over only when something needs to be done that the other two can't handle (I actually really did like that part of the Weapon X take on her). We'd hardly ever see that one, though. Her psyche may be prone to shattering even more than that (late-stage Vol. 1 with the five personalities, Dark X-Men, etc.), but those two are the core of her. In Aurora's case, having her be cured of her MPD via a convenient storyline as opposed to years of development with both personalities is the exact opposite of moving her forward.
    Yeah...John Byrne was throwing out clues that a third personality was surfacing during his run, but it was never fully explored...I also think Walter's tampering with her powers may have triggered something in her psyche. Anyway, I don't think Mantlo ever addressed the third personality, that Byrne had started creating.

I like your idea with Jeanne-Marie growing into a hero, MM...It would be a very interesting storyline, I think.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

It would be cool to see her deal with that
    Well, since it was hinted that Namor may be appearing in this maxi-series...you may get your wish.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    I'm thinking Norman Osborne's head device really screwed up Aurora, but we don't know how much they'll touch on it in the new series (if at all). I personally would like to see Aurora with her two original personalities, but I'd like to see both of her selves accept the other more than they have.
    Quoting from FVL "Aurora's struggle with mental illness are a huge part of a character and a major part of this series."

On the subject of Marrina...I'd like to see her go to Namor (with all her memories intact of what happened) and say "I want a divorce...Before you decide to kill me again." (or something to that effect).
    See earlier in the thread.
    Last edited by Phil; 04-01-2011 at 05:41 AM.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

One of my favourite late-stage Alpha storylines that was touched on but never really told properly that I would love to see something done with is seeing Jeanne-Marie having to come to grips with living the superhero life and having these powers that she hates.
    She doesn't hate them. She's made the point herself (in Byrne's era) that it was Jeanne-Marie, not Aurora, who first flew.
    She hasn't got the speed on, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    I couldn't tell you what Namor's beliefs on death might be, but considering how many heroes die only to return, you'd figure he might accept she could be the Marrina he knew.
    OR, taken from that point of view, nobody in the Marvel Universe takes death serious anymore. "I'll kill you now!" 'Yeah, but what are we doing next week?' "Teaming up against your current ally, of course." 'Cool, I'll pencil you in.'

Imagine if a loved one killed you, tore off your head, and threw it at the bad guy whose actions caused your death, then you come back from the dead. Wouldn't you be a bit pissed...
    I wouldn't, but I fully admit that that's just me and you make a good point.

Okay, really not getting the reference.
    I don't know how to take that line; are you joking, are you asking who Bob the Builder is, or are you thinking it's a reference to a particular event in Alpha Flight?

On the off-chance: if it's the first, apologies.
    Second: Bob the Builder is a kids' show, the title character is pictured in the link (though I believe? he's traditionally claymation, not drawn animation).
    Third: Only FP and your undertaker know for sure, but I imagine it was just funny randomness (and yes, I am laughing).

- Le Messor
    "I suggest you buy as many blues albums as you can."
    ~ Jake Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    She doesn't hate them. She's made the point herself (in Byrne's era) that it was Jeanne-Marie, not Aurora, who first flew.
    Yeah, and then she got horribly punished and never did it again for five years, until Aurora took over. The powers were evil, in her eyes.

Images

Yeah, and then she got horribly punished and never did it again for five years, until Aurora took over. The powers were evil, in her eyes.
    I was quoting her years after that punishment; she called Aurora selfish for keeping the powers to herself.
    I think if she hated her powers then, she stopped by the time she grew up.

- Le Messor
    "I take a two hour nap, from one o'clock to four."
    ~ Yogi Berra (attrib)

I'm a little sad that FvL hasn't read Enemy of the State or Carey's X-Men run (and presumably not the New X-Men stuff re: Northstar either). Alas for my hopes that some writer somewhere would remember that JP has had some character development in the last decade that didn't come out of the Great Big Book of Gay Cliche (or at least that he owes Wolverine one hell of whuppin').

But hells to the yes for noting that in the nearly twenty years since issue #106, JP has yet to actually kiss another man on-page. I believe the current count is 0 - 3 in favor of smooching girls, and one of those was a nun!

Only FP and your undertaker know for sure, but I imagine it was just funny randomness (and yes, I am laughing)
    Random is the new black.

And I am your undertaker; at least, this week I am. You, meanwhile, are my intepreter (and doing a fine job, I must say!).
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    You, meanwhile, are my intepreter (and doing a fine job, I must say!).
    Clearly, here you meant:
    'Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
    thy micturations are to me
    As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.'

I'm fired, aren't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I was quoting her years after that punishment; she called Aurora selfish for keeping the powers to herself.
    I think if she hated her powers then, she stopped by the time she grew up.

- Le Messor
    "I take a two hour nap, from one o'clock to four."
    ~ Yogi Berra (attrib)
    This is what I was thinking. When Jeanne-Marie fled Walter and returned to her brother, (#20-22) she did tell JP that "It is Aurora who keeps the powers for herself."
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Images

For the sake of accuracy:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JMflew..jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	892

Also, here Northstar uses 'Rhonda' and 'help' in the same sentence, which always makes me think of that Beach Boys song, Little Deuce Coupe.

- Le Messor
    "I think all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not, and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am."
    ~ Monty Python

Nice clip, Messy. And the reference "keeps THAT power" indicates to me that J-M always had powers of her own that Aurora may not have been able to access.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24 View Post
    Nice clip, Messy. And the reference "keeps THAT power" indicates to me that J-M always had powers of her own that Aurora may not have been able to access.
    Thanks... and nice pick-up. I'd never noticed the 'that' before.

- LM
    "I think you should laugh once a day, because a day without sunshine is like... night."
    ~ Steve Martin

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Let's not put the "fan" back into "fanatic" just yet...

I didn't find out that "Aurora" is the Greek goddess of Morning until a few years ago: Jeanne-Marie is a lot more powerful than people (with maybe the exception of James Hudnall) gave her credit for being. [I wouldn't have forgotten]

I hope that MARVEL fine-tunes some things before they start publishing the new books: Narya is a DEMI-goddess. I hated that the Mantlo era constantly mischaracterized her, and I expect BETTER this time around. Secondly, someone should suggest that the references be to "Inuit" Gods, not "Eskimo" Gods.
    Third, I hope MARVEL isn't locked in to using all the art that has been previewed because, well, it could be more coherent.

I know Alpha needs support, but give us something that we can really get behind: Sasquatch getting his clock cleaned isn't going to cut it for me.
    Last edited by Garry/Al-Fan; 04-21-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling: coherence/completeness
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    I didn't find out that "Aurora" is the Greek goddess of Morning until a few years ago: Jeanne-Marie is a lot more powerful than people (with maybe the exception of James Hudnall) gave her credit for being. [I wouldn't have]
    Well, they just call her angel of the morning; she isn't actually her.

Third, I hope MARVEL isn't locked in to using all the art that has been previewed because, well, it could be more coherent.
    Um... pretty sure they are. Sorry.

I know Alpha needs support, but give us something that we can really get behind: Sasquatch getting his clock cleaned isn't going to cut it for me.
    And, in the next issue, Mac gets his engine re-tuned!

Alpha does need support.
    I've been trying (and, at times, failing) not to be negative about it (though I have seen a few things about this series that I don't like, and no, I don't plan to post what they are here); but yes, I do want something we can really get behind. They've got the original characters, but that wasn't everything that made the original series special.
    But it's a much better start than three other volumes I could mention...

- Le Messor
    "I was morose
    For hours and hours
    When they dumped manure
    All over the flowers.
    In the spring, they'll grow
    So pretty and sweet;
    It just goes to show
    That you aren't what you eat."
    ~ Mark T. Shirey