Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wishlist for the new Alpha Flight maxi...

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

"Discuss"... Yes, that would be cool.

- Le Messor
    "I know it's spelled 'Raymond Luxury-Yacht', but it's pronounced 'Throat Warbler-Mangrove'!"
    ~ Monty Python

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole View Post
    My hope, with so many of the 'smart' characters being shown to be smart and heroes (Hulk, FF, Stark) is that Guardian and even Sasquatch, who are brilliant in their own rights, are shown as such. Heroes and brains.
    I would just like them to be treated with respect and not as some big joke!

DIGGER

Default Wishlist for Alpha Flight Maxi Series and Ongoing! (Think Positive!)

Not sure how I missed this thread - thanks for my entry to it!

For me, I would love to see the following:

1. Marrina's parents & Dan Smallwood - Alpha is all about family and we have seen so little of them
    2. Flashback's return - glad he was brought back in series 3, more character development please!
    3. The Master - keep making him more of a formidable Big Bad!
    4. Jeffries - he belongs with Alpha. Family takes care of family.
    5. A new Omega Flight - Every Alpha needs an Omega - an OMEGA class Omega
    6. Wild Child - the Wild Child we love to hate
    7. Talisman - we've missed SO many opportunities to see a tearfelt reunion, could we maybe just see this one? Even in a flashback?
    8. Beta Flight - Goblyn, Persuasion? Sure, they weren't classic Byrne characters, but they were the first of a new Beta Flight and it would be great to see them again
    9. The Dream Queen - visually one of the best villains and a good source for a magical threat
    10. Nemesis' return - the team needs allies and the best thing about Nemesis is you never know which way she will lean
    11. Bochs - he was such a great character and had such potential
    12. Witchfire - forget the hero of old, bring on the witch we have been seeing lately!
    Last edited by Ahab; 03-29-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: I completely missed this

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    I'd like to see:

• Just one personality for Aurora, the MPD has been done to death now.
    • Marrina learning how she died at Namor's hands, with it followed up on in the ongoing.
    Given her nice-sweet personality of yore, I would expect Marrina would have some level of appreciation that Namor stopped her before she hurt anyone else.
    Aurora's MPD was a classic part of the character. I would like to see it the way Byrne handled it, that she remains in one persona for an extended period of time, and when she changes, she stays changed for a time...like working with two characters who will never be seen together. That said, less of the personas at war would be OK by me.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    2. Flashback's return - glad he was brought back in series 3, more character development please!
    ... maybe he'll return in flashback?

S'rously, it'd be cool to see him cope with what happened with his kids.

- Le Messor
    "I started to turn and it was at this point I noticed a camel and an elephant tethered at the verge. This distraction caused me to lose concentration and hit a bollard."
    ~ alleged actual response on an insurance form

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24 View Post
    Given her nice-sweet personality of yore, I would expect Marrina would have some level of appreciation that Namor stopped her before she hurt anyone else.
    Aurora's MPD was a classic part of the character. I would like to see it the way Byrne handled it, that she remains in one persona for an extended period of time, and when she changes, she stays changed for a time...like working with two characters who will never be seen together. That said, less of the personas at war would be OK by me.
    Namor didn't even attempt to help her, choosing instead to kill her, rip her head off, and throw it through Osborn's window. Granted that Emma said she couldn't sense Marrina's mind in the monster, but to not even question if she could be saved, and just killing her? And even if that was a mercy I still question how much Namor could have loved her as he mutilated her body, and threw her severed head through a window as a message to the bad guy! Her reaction to that is what I'd like to see followed up on.

Aurora's MPD, while interesting, was "cured" (yeah, I know how some folks feel about the method) in an X-men title, so having it return is a step back IMO. The one thing that drove me nuts was every time a new writer took over on AF Vol. 1, they'd reset the characters so any development was lost. I want to see some growth with them, especially Aurora and Shaman, and to maintain what (little) development they have had.

Namor didn't even attempt to help her, choosing instead to kill her, rip her head off, and throw it through Osborn's window. Granted that Emma said she couldn't sense Marrina's mind in the monster, but to not even question if she could be saved, and just killing her? And even if that was a mercy I still question how much Namor could have loved her as he mutilated her body, and threw her severed head through a window as a message to the bad guy! Her reaction to that is what I'd like to see followed up on.
    I do always seem to default to Marrina's original death, especially with so many fractors in the Osborn/Namor confrontation, which always includes, "How do we really know that was the true Marrina?" I do think Namor's beliefs on death need to be examined. He may not consider it quite possible for Marrina to be resurrected as the same soul. Namor does not have the readers' knowledge that an alive Marrina has been kicking around for so long, mostly in the Master's clutches.
    Your post troggered an interesting thought tho...Namor relying on Emma's report is a bit risky as Emma obviously would not mind smelling like fish and might just try to keep competition at bay. (And Emma is SO not Namor's type that I have found the reciprocated flirtation to be incredulous.)
    Last edited by kozzi24; 03-31-2011 at 03:23 AM.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Aurora's MPD, while interesting, was "cured" (yeah, I know how some folks feel about the method) in an X-men title, so having it return is a step back IMO. The one thing that drove me nuts was every time a new writer took over on AF Vol. 1, they'd reset the characters so any development was lost. I want to see some growth with them, especially Aurora and Shaman, and to maintain what (little) development they have had.
    You CAN reasonably go back to Byrne on the subject of the MPD cure. When Aurora joined the flight, and later was examined in the Deadly Earnest story, the division of personalities was so complete that the MPD was undetectable until other events triggered a switch. Thios is the angle I think works best, and I would love to see Jeanne-Marie exhibit slightly different powers than Aurora. While I thought the recent Darl X-Men story was a bit over the top in presentation, I thought the basic premise was quite sound.
    www.kozzi.us

and I would love to see Jeanne-Marie exhibit slightly different powers than Aurora.
    One of my favourite late-stage Alpha storylines that was touched on but never really told properly that I would love to see something done with is seeing Jeanne-Marie having to come to grips with living the superhero life and having these powers that she hates. I love the idea of her grudgingly using them and growing into a hero in her own right, apart from Aurora.

My dream Aurora is one with the straight-up two personalities, Aurora and Jeanne-Marie stuck sharing a body, hopefully having overcome their duel for dominance years ago, potentially with a third lurking in the shadows to take over only when something needs to be done that the other two can't handle (I actually really did like that part of the Weapon X take on her). We'd hardly ever see that one, though. Her psyche may be prone to shattering even more than that (late-stage Vol. 1 with the five personalities, Dark X-Men, etc.), but those two are the core of her. In Aurora's case, having her be cured of her MPD via a convenient storyline as opposed to years of development with both personalities is the exact opposite of moving her forward.

Aurora's MPD, while interesting, was "cured" (yeah, I know how some folks feel about the method) in an X-men title, so having it return is a step back IMO.
    I'm afraid to say Norman Osborn un-cured it in Dark X-Men:The Beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I'm afraid to say Norman Osborn un-cured it in Dark X-Men:The Beginning.
    I thought that only while she wore the headgear was the MPD in effect. Didn't she return to just being Aurora once it was off?
    Last edited by Legerd; 03-31-2011 at 03:29 PM.

I thought that was only while she wore the headgear that the MPD was in effect. Didn't she return to just being Aurora once it was off?
    No, I'm pretty sure she became Bob the Builder when she took it off.

http://img.geocaching.com/track/7fe0...dcce988fc8.jpg
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

I do always seem to default to Marrina's original death, especially with so many fractors in the Osborn/Namor confrontation, which always includes, "How do we really know that was the true Marrina?" I do think Namor's beliefs on death need to be examined. He may not consider it quite possible for Marrina to be resurrected as the same soul. Namor does not have the readers' knowledge that an alive Marrina has been kicking around for so long, mostly in the Master's clutches.
    Your post troggered an interesting thought tho...Namor relying on Emma's report is a bit risky as Emma obviously would not mind smelling like fish and might just try to keep competition at bay. (And Emma is SO not Namor's type that I have found the reciprocated flirtation to be incredulous.)
    I couldn't tell you what Namor's beliefs on death might be, but considering how many heroes die only to return, you'd figure he might accept she could be the Marrina he knew. Not to mention if he loved her wouldn't he have at least tried to help her. Still, I'm not trying to look at it from his point of view, but her's. Imagine if a loved one killed you, tore off your head, and threw it at the bad guy whose actions caused your death, then you come back from the dead. Wouldn't you be a bit pissed that said loved one didn't make an effort to stop/save you, then after killing you, mutilated your body! I'm sorry, but I don't see how anyone could shrug that off. I know it's just a case of a writer not caring enough about the character to bother fleshing out the tragedy, but within the story I would think the character of Marrina would like to know why Namor chose to kill her and desecrate her body. It would be cool to see her deal with that IMO, with her eventually confronting him on his reasons for having done it. That, and have her go looking for Osborn.
    The idea that everyone trusts Emma so implicitly makes me wonder if she isn't tweaking people's minds. I mean, she's been a manipulative villain for a long time, but now she's a good guy so it's all fine. She tells Namor it's okay to kill his wife, and he does it without hesitation, without questioning her, and without a thought of trying to save Marrina whatsoever? Talk about a cold fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post

Okay, really not getting the reference.

I'm thinking Norman Osborne's head device really screwed up Aurora, but we don't know how much they'll touch on it in the new series (if at all). I personally would like to see Aurora with her two original personalities, but I'd like to see both of her selves accept the other more than they have.

On the subject of Marrina...I'd like to see her go to Namor (with all her memories intact of what happened) and say "I want a divorce...Before you decide to kill me again." (or something to that effect). I just can't see her being very happy with him, after all that's happened. I agree with Legerd, Not a lot was done to try and help her when she was in the sea monster forms (Both times), the heroes just decided that killing her was the best option...Which to me, is lazy on the heroes' parts, but also stinks of lazy writing. I'd like to see Marrina a bit more stable too. I don't mind her being conflicted or at war with her Plodex self, but I'd like her to not go murderous every issue. It would be nice to see Marrina get friends her own age and interacting with "normal" folks too (maybe she decides to go to college)...And a reunion with Dan Smallwood would be great (it might be interesting if it turned out one or both of her "parents" had passed on, while she was dead).

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post

Wha? LOL!
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!