Thread: Mediumatlarge FVL interview

Default Mediumatlarge FVL interview

Anybody seen this yet?

http://www.mediumatlarge.net/2011/02...van-lente.html

If it was already posted, just delete it.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Anybody seen this yet?

http://www.mediumatlarge.net/2011/02...van-lente.html

If it was already posted, just delete it.
    "One of the things that we are going to be doing is bringing the original team back together that first appeared in X-Men. That's something that Byrne himself didn't even do."
    First: Thank you, FP for posting the link to the interview. It's a good one, but I have to ask...Why does he keep saying that John Byrne never had the original team together? They were together twice during his run (all of them, in issues 1 and 12)....And the team not always being together made total sense in Byrne's run, because they weren't based together. Why is that such a big deal? I liked the idea of the characters being based in their home cities and coming together when really needed. A superhero team based in one city and based in one building/mansion/etc...Is old hat, a cliche...Get rid of it. It's one of the great things that made the team unique in Byrne's run.

You don't need the team based together, when some can teleport (Shaman and Talisman) and others can travel super fast (Northstar, Aurora, Guardian, etc...). I don't want to sound harsh, but I just don't get it.

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 03-05-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    Why does he keep saying that John Byrne never had the original team together? They were together twice during his run (all of them, in issues 1 and 12).
    And even if you argue they weren't 'together' (a fair argument), they all saw the same action in #s 2-4. The "the original team... that first appeared in X-Men", at least (only Puck wasn't part of the fight against the Master).

(Caveat: Please, please don't read this as 'I think this series is gonna suck'. This is 'I know the history well enough to contradict *one* thing the writer has said'. Nothing more.)

- Le Messor
    "I just want to say how proud I am to die for this very special cause with you guys. There's some, um-there's people I'd like to thank, both good and evil. Um, a shout out to my brother Tucker, who gave me the inspiration to summon demons and also..."
    ~ Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    And even if you argue they weren't 'together' (a fair argument), they all saw the same action in #s 2-4. The "the original team... that first appeared in X-Men", at least (only Puck wasn't part of the fight against the Master).
    Puck doesn't count...LOL. Those stories where they faced the Master (in issue 2-4) totally slipped my mind. So that's more like three times during Byrne's run they were together.
    (Caveat: Please, please don't read this as 'I think this series is gonna suck'. This is 'I know the history well enough to contradict *one* thing the writer has said'. Nothing more.)

- Le Messor
    "I just want to say how proud I am to die for this very special cause with you guys. There's some, um-there's people I'd like to thank, both good and evil. Um, a shout out to my brother Tucker, who gave me the inspiration to summon demons and also..."
    ~ Andrew
    I don't think it'll suck either, Mik...I'm just curious why FVL keeps thinking the original team never worked together under Byrne?

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 03-05-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Images

I don't think it'll suck either, Mik...I'm just curious why FVL keeps thinking the orignal team never worked together under Byrne?
    I just added that in because I've got a history of being pessimistic... and I've noticed through that people often take things the wrong way. So, I thought I'd mention it.

Technically, too, they worked together under Byrne in Uncanny #120-121.

- Le Messor
    "The refectory door opened again, my diaphragm jumped ..."
    ~ Freda Warrington, "Shine for Me", in Dark Fantasies ed Chris Morgan

You don't need the team based together, when some can teleport (Shaman and Talisman) and others can travel super fast (Northstar, Aurora, Guardian, etc...). I don't want to sound harsh, but I just don't get it.
    Dana
    I think a lot of readers want their team to stick together, especially when you're buying a team book. Byrne never really had them function as a team for those battles (Puck never made it to the fight with Tundra and when the others showed up to save Mac in issue #12 he was pulled away by the Box robot) which can be a turn off for a lot of people. One of the cool things about team books like the FF, X-men, and Avengers is seeing the full team going into battle, and working together as a unit complimenting each others abilities and powers. We never got that in Byrne's AF. They would have lost against Tundra had Marrina not shown up. Against Omega Flight, they just went in fists flying without a plan, and what should have been an easy fight for them ended up being won only because the villains defeated themselves.
    Now I'm not saying every story must have the entire team together, but uniting them so we can see them capable of acting as a cohesive fighting force now and again would go a long way in keeping more readers. The average story will continue to be told using only a few of the characters, but you will definitely lose some readers (especially new ones expecting a team dynamic) if you don't have the heroes work together as a single group.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    One of the cool things about team books like the FF, X-men, and Avengers is seeing the full team going into battle, and working together as a unit complimenting each others abilities and powers.
    "Cool powers, 'roro!"
    "Thank you, Kurt. Nice abilities."
    "Danke, Liebschen. Piotr, I like your steel."
    "I like yours, Tovarisch! Your swords are wery good."

you will definitely lose some readers (especially new ones expecting a team dynamic) if you don't have the heroes work together as a single group.
    You might, but you might gain some as well. I know the uniqueness of that idea, of having a team book that focussed on one or two characters at a time, was one thing that drew me to the book.
    That format would not be suited to an 8-issue maxi, but I loved it in an ongoing.

- Le Messor
    "I knew my death would come back to haunt me!"
    ~ Homer

In the interview ['cough cough' - sorry to bring us back on topic] , the thing i thought was cool was that FVL was pushing using Guardian like no other writer ever has, fleshing him out and making him into a true hero. I hope he succeeds.

Failing that, I hope FVL just merges him with Immortal Man (?) from the Great Lakes Avengers; that way, Mac can die every issue!
    Last edited by Flightpath07; 03-06-2011 at 08:39 AM.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

"Cool powers, 'roro!"
    "Thank you, Kurt. Nice abilities."
    "Danke, Liebschen. Piotr, I like your steel."
    "I like yours, Tovarisch! Your swords are wery good."
    I just knew someone was going to make that joke!

You might, but you might gain some as well. I know the uniqueness of that idea, of having a team book that focussed on one or two characters at a time, was one thing that drew me to the book.
    That format would not be suited to an 8-issue maxi, but I loved it in an ongoing.

- Le Messor
    "I knew my death would come back to haunt me!"
    ~ Homer
    Like I said, most stories in the ongoing (Oh there will be an ongoing, there will be!) will most likely have only a few of the characters in it at any given time, just like other team books. However, if Marvel wants new readers, and to keep as many readers as they can, then AF will need to be seen working as a team more often IMO.

In the interview ['cough cough' - sorry to bring us back on topic] , the thing i thought was cool was that FVL was pushing using Guardian like no other writer ever has, fleshing him out and making him into a true hero. I hope he succeeds.
    Same here. Mac was never given the chance to develop under Byrne's hand so I'm hoping this time he'll have the opportunity to shine.
    And apology accepted.

Images

I just knew someone was going to make that joke!
    It's the grammar nazi in me. Didn't mean to let him out of his cage.

['cough cough' - sorry to bring us back on topic]
    How could you?

Like I said, most stories in the ongoing (Oh there will be an ongoing, there will be!) will most likely have only a few of the characters in it at any given time, just like other team books.
    They're looking for a hook, and Canada's not working for them, so I'm hoping they could use that - 'the original non-team team book'! or something.

Mac was never given the chance to develop under Byrne's hand so I'm hoping this time he'll have the opportunity to shine.
    Good points. That'd be worth the price of entry on its own.

- Le Messor
    "I know I don't have his looks. I know I don't have his money. I know I don't have his connections, his knowledge of fine wines. I know sometimes when I eat I get this clicking sound in my jaw..."
    ~ Wayne

Oooooooo...new avatar, Mik? Is that a Krueger, or did Wolverine's healing powers shut down again?

Images

Can't it be both?
    (You've seen why the new avatar on the other thread.)

Quote Originally Posted by flightpath07 View Post
    in the interview ['cough cough' - sorry to bring us back on topic] , the thing i thought was cool was that fvl was pushing using guardian like no other writer ever has, fleshing him out and making him into a true hero. I hope he succeeds.

Failing that, i hope fvl just merges him with immortal man (?) from the great lakes avengers; that way, mac can die every issue!
    amen!!!!!

Images

I've just run into this thread, and thought I'd withdraw that comment.

I've mentioned this in my reviews for the issues, but this is also an appropriate place.
    I'd forgotten that, although he appears in #2, Shaman was not involved in the fight with the Master. Snowbird wasn't in his scenes, so the original team wasn't together in these issues; though they all appeared in #2.

- Le Messor
    "Never compete, create."
    ~ Earl Nightingale