Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most relaunched comics

Default The most relaunched comics

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/most...cs-110218.html

Comic: Alpha Flight
    Publisher: Marvel Comics
    Number of launches: Four (kind of five).
    Alpha Flight enjoyed a long and healthy run in its initial 130-issue volume, stretching from 1983 to 1994. Three years after that, Sandman Mystery Theatre writer Steven Seagle helmed a thoroughly unconventional take on the Canadian superteam, heavy on conspiracies and new characters. That one lasted 20 issues. Scott Lobdell went in the opposite direction for his 12-issue 2004 series, relying heavy on comedy. (The first arc was titled “You Gotta Be Kiddin' Me.”) Following the majority of the team’s death in New Avengers, a new team called Omega Flight was formed from the issues, and featured in a 2007 five-issue series — which brings us to the present.

Avengers and Winter Guard were never mentioned. Hmmmm...

Avengers doesn't count apparantly because it's always been continuously published, even with the renumbering.

I can see the main Avengers comic, but things like Avengers Academy, Avengers Initiatve, New Avengers, Young Avengers, Secret Avengers, Dark Avengers, Mighty Avengers, East Coast Avengers, etc. are included in the main Avengers numbering system?

The only thing that counts in the numbering system is Avengers Vol 1 > Vol 2(Heroes Reborn) > Vol 3 > New Avengers Vol 1 > Avengers Vol 4 to create a constant stream of publishing.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    I can see the main Avengers comic, but things like Avengers Academy, Avengers Initiatve, New Avengers, Young Avengers, Secret Avengers, Dark Avengers, Mighty Avengers, East Coast Avengers, etc. are included in the main Avengers numbering system?
    None of those would be relaunches, though. Spin-offs aren't quite the same thing.

- Le Messor
    "I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    The only thing that counts in the numbering system is Avengers Vol 1 > Vol 2(Heroes Reborn) > Vol 3 > New Avengers Vol 1 > Avengers Vol 4 to create a constant stream of publishing.
    Alpha Flight has vol.1, vol.2, etc. I really don't see the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    None of those would be relaunches, though. Spin-offs aren't quite the same thing.

- Le Messor
    "I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law"
    They counted Omega Flight as one of the relaunches for Alpha Flight and that was a spin-off.

Alpha Flight has vol.1, vol.2, etc. I really don't see the difference
    Yeah, but you originally said
    which are spin offs.

And there was 3 years between Vol 1 & 2, 5 years between 2 & 3, 5 years between 3 and 4 whereas Avengers has been constant.

They counted Omega Flight as one of the relaunches for Alpha Flight and that was a spin-off.
    They did and they didn't count it...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Yeah, but you originally said

which are spin offs.

And there was 3 years between Vol 1 & 2, 5 years between 2 & 3, 5 years between 3 and 4 whereas Avengers has been constant.

They did and they didn't count it...
    Time difference between volumes doesn't matter it still goes to the next volume number of release. Moon Knight had the same thing (years apart) and he wasn't mentioned either. So the time difference between issues is irrelevant. Spin-offs can be considered relaunches as well, as Bendis called New Avengers a relaunch of the main series.

They did, Four (kind of five). So that same logic could be applied to the Avengers spin-offs as well.
    Last edited by -K-M-; 02-21-2011 at 04:56 PM.

It's the time difference between the volume this article uses to differentiate between a 'relaunch' and a 'renumbering'

Af is the former, Avengers the latter according to this article's writer.

It's just an opinion piece, relax.

Which many of the spin-offs have been called relaunches. As the many Avengers spin-offs became the Avengers main books as the main series was cancelled and hasn't reappeared in years.

Sure, but like I mentioned Winter Guard wasn't mentioned or even Moon Knight and they would fall in that category.

Eh? My original comment was "Avengers and Winter Guard were never mentioned. Hmmmm... " and then you chose to respond to that. :\ Do I really care? No, but if you directly reply to my comment of course I'm going to reply back.

Which many of the spin-offs have been called relaunches. As the many Avengers spin-offs became the Avengers main books as the main series was cancelled and hasn't reappeared in years.
    The writer is counting Avengers Vol.1>Vol.2>Vol.3>New(Vol.1)>Vol.4 as one run though, as there's no cancellation break of time. None of the spin offs have become the main book as there's always been a main book.

Sure, but like I mentioned Winter Guard wasn't mentioned or even Moon Knight and they would fall in that category.
    Which is true, and another writer would have included them over others named.

Eh? My original comment was "Avengers and Winter Guard were never mentioned. Hmmmm... " and then you chose to respond to that. :\ Do I really care? No, but if you directly reply to my comment of course I'm going to reply back.
    I was only directly replying to clarify the writers reasoning for not counting Avengers to clear up your 'Hmmmm' it wasn't a personal 'you're wrong about Avengers.'

The main Avengers series was cancelled, that's the problem. Is it the end of the world no? But look at Punisher they included him and he generally has a series going at all times yet they classified him as "Number of launches: Nearly incalculable". he's pretty much in the same boat as the Avengers

Avengers has never been cancelled though, it's been monthly(give or take lateness) since it's inception, in one numbering reboot or another.

But you're probably right about Punisher, I don't know about it's history, so if that's the case I have no idea. I didn't write the piece.

And the fact that he mentions Punisher Max strengthens your argument to as it's not 616.