Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uncanny x-men annual #3

Incompetent? Perhaps less graceful than we'd like... but it looks as if his sparkly energy contraption is making lots of sparkly energy thingies. I'll reserve judgement until we see the rest of the book.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

That's fair enough. I just felt that page 5 was one step away from an "Ooops." speechbubble.
    But it's not necessarilly a bad thing. If I'm being honest I'd rather he be full of mistakes than a genius Dr. It'd make him more like the character when he was first introduced.

I don't think he'll be in much of the issue afterwards as it doesn't look like he goes into the portal.

I'll still be buying it and enjoying it as an appearance.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Hmm... I might have to go with 'you're right, Phil'... but not for the obvious reasons.
    He's tinkering around like a joke, without thought to others. The really incompetent thing is to take away the power from an entire city, one that's perpetually in the dark in the deep, deep, deep water off San Francisco Bay (just how deep is it there, really?) because they don't want to 'go to all that trouble' to build a cyclotron of their own.
    Which Jeffries should be able to do in about five seconds by waggling his fingers.

Also, I think the original had a very distinctive voice, which they've long since abandoned.

Looking at it close-up (which I didn't before), I don't like the art that much, either. Too cartoonish.

... and now I'm all negative.
    Negative Man, they call me! Then DC sues me for copyright, which ironically, only makes it worse.

- Le Messor
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
    ~ Winston Churchill

I thought it was cute. Jeffries tinkering in the back, doing his thing like a kook, nobody really paying attention until it all goes to hell, I dig it. Still not a fan of the art, but oddly, I think Madison looks the best out of all of them.

I have to agree partly with Mistress Merr....I hate the faces (everyone looks like they're 12 years old), but the rest of the art is amazing...It reminds me a bit of Michael Golden's work.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I'm, by no strecth of the imagination an artist, but the art is just too distracting for me. It'd stop me getting the comic.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    I have to agree partly with Mistress Merr....I hate the faces (everyone looks like they're 12 years old), but the rest of the art is amazing...It reminds me a bit of Michael Golden's work.

Dana
    Yeah, it's just the faces that I really have a problem with. They're just goofy and squashed looking. I love the amount of detail in everything else and the motions and physicality of the characters, but the faces and expressions turn me right off.

Images

It was the faces that turned me off, too. Rest = good.

- Le Messor
    "I like to be moved; I don't like to be pushed."
    ~ John Cage

Jeffries appears in a few panels after the preview, unconcious.

OH I Loved this issue! What fun! Yeah, too bad Jeffries got clocked and his contraption fizzed out... and sort of caused a hell of a lot of problems, but at least it sent Nemesis away! The art, well, let's just say anything that wasn't an X-Man looked awesome. I also like the idea of the story crossing into other Annuals too- an old Marvel tradition.

Love,
    rplass

What happened to Madison being able to create anything out of metal? Why would he have to "borrow" anything in the first place and WHY THE HECK WOULD HE NEED TO USE A BIG FRIGGIN' WRENCH AS...A...HAMMER!!!!!!! Yes when he first appeared he said (if I recall correctly) he dug ditches but was always portrayed as a cool headed individual. I hate when the writers take a character and have them behave or do something that is so OUT of character just for a few laughs. As for the artwork, while not my favourite it looks better than the artwork on most of AF vol 2.
    (but that is just my opinion)

DIGGER

Dr. Nemesis explained the borrowing... that they intend to use the Atlantean cyclotron temporarily to see if it is worth it for Madison to replicate it. I bet it's somewhat difficult to do, or takes a lot of resources, metal mass, that kind of thing and they didn't want to build a 2nd one until they knew the 1st one would work. The giant wrench was just comic relief and yes it was out of character, but not really all that bad.

Love,
    rplass

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    Dr. Nemesis explained the borrowing... that they intend to use the Atlantean cyclotron temporarily
    That I get. Taking an entire race's power supply to do it, though...

OTOH, after all the Weapon X brainwork, I doubt anything's out of character for him.

- Le Messor
    "I like your approach... now let's see your departure."

Hmm... comicvine lists Northstar as appearing it.
    I didn't spot him on my first read through, but I suppose it's possible I missed him.
    Anyone with the issue to hand able to confirm?

There is a highly obscured unidentified male with black hair next to Colossus and likely the same again in another panel but it's impossible to say it's him. His costume has a white element near the shoulder, which is possibly Northstar's white starburst... but the upper part of the costume on the neck is black, not white, so I doubt it's him. It's probably Hellion, since there a few other young mutants nearby.

Love,
    rplass