Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: new maxi series................alpha flight!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24 View Post
    In #24, the Artificer "needs" "one who loves him, one who hates him and one of great power" to rescue Walter's soul. While this quickly proved to be a trap, why would he bait a group of rescuers with one who hates him unless he could sense that hatred? I always figured he hated Aurora being with Walt because he hated Walt.
    Again, it was just my original take, but intense feelings can easily become hate when spurned.

Mantlo's later confession by Northstar to Wanda of "preferring the man you were" as an eye candy factor, not lust.
    It could work either way, but I'm basing it simply on Byrne's initial conflict between the two.

Think about it. In their high school years, JP was a self-aware gay kid and Walt was a jock and a bully. It's very reasonable that JP would truly hate him.
    Would J-P have known that from their initial meeting? I'm not saying 'love at first sight' as I hadn't mentioned love, just feelings, but a physical attraction on first impression. THEN he discovered he was a bully THEN he started a relationship with his sister THEN he genetically altered his sister and distanced the two of them after only recently finding each other (in the grand scheme of things).
    That'd be enough to have feelings become confused as hatred, or even turn into hatred, and certainly enough to cause tension within the ranks.

But again, it's been years since my first reading and it was just my initial thoughts.

Yeah, between his tear-filled reaction to Walt's death ("Jean-Paul! You, too?") and Wanda's reaction to his revelation not really being in line with something as simple as JP's having had the hots for him once, I'd say it was definitely Mantlo's intention for there to have been some real feelings there.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr View Post
    I'd say it was definitely Mantlo's intention for there to have been some real feelings there.
    Oh, I'd agree it was definitely Mantlo's intention.

- Le Messor
    "I just realized something, something that never occurred to me before. We're gonna win."
    ~ Buffy

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Again, it was just my original take, but intense feelings can easily become hate when spurned.
    Jean-Paul protests that he doesn't hate Walter before quickly trying to cover his feelings, but the group ignores him, and then JP looks pained when it seems like they won't be able to save him -- he's even the first one to dash up and catch Roger when he exits Box, aiding in getting Walter his new body that much more swiftly. That was why the attempt at retrieval didn't go as planned -- there wasn't anyone in the group to fulfill the "hate" requirement. So I think that it was originally Byrne's intention to have JP feel some affection for Walter, and it just turned out to be one of the few things Mantlo carried over intact into his run.

Jean Paul's unspoken "love" for Walter is just another in a long line of contradictions/continuity screw-jobs to what Byrne had already written about the characters...Sigh. Again, I loved Mantlo's work on other books, but with Alpha Flight, I continually ask...WHY BILL, WHY?!

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Puck will show up in a dress?
    It would have to be a miniskirt otherwise...y'know...he'd keep tripping over it.

DIGGER

I know I'm a bit late but... I'm so glad to have Alpha Flight back!!! I hadn't been so excited about a Marvel book since AF volume 2. And it's the original team! It seems Marvel finally listened to fans.

Everything looks good so far. A writer who knows and respects the characters, a good artist and... Phil Jimenez's covers! I hope it becomes a regular series so that we can enjoy AF regularly for many years!

Now, things I'd like to see:

- The old AF chemistry from the Byrne days.
    - Mac and Heather's daughter being named. And Heather as a leader, I don't want another Jewel-like character. She's as clever, capable and strong (if not more) as Mac
    - Snowbird using her vast array of powers
    - Northstar *****y attitude
    - Keep Aurora's mental problems in the closet. She's had too much already. A little bit of normality in that respect won't hurt.
    - A few of AF classic villains coming back and a personal favourite... Pink Pearl
    - Oh, and I almost forgot! Marvel Legends figures of Northstar, Aurora, Snowbird, Shaman, Puck, Vindicator and Marrina!!!

If we're unpacking our wishlists for the new series, I can certainly think of a few things...

I never thought I would actually say this, but I think I'd prefer the occasional Maxi Issue story line which was well thought out, instead of an ongoing which would inevitably become the soap opera type book which seems to be the fate of ongoing series.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
    I never thought I would actually say this, but I think I'd prefer the occasional Maxi Issue story line which was well thought out, instead of an ongoing which would inevitably become the soap opera type book which seems to be the fate of ongoing series.
    Firstly - IT'S ALIVE!?!?!!!!!

And b) I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Firstly - IT'S ALIVE!?!?!!!!!

And b) I agree.
    Very much alive, just a lot slower. Just starting to come out of my winter fugue. Old enthusiasm's are starting to resurface
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
    Just starting to come out of my winter fugue.
    Yay you! I'm just heading into winter.

Marrina's #1 Fan Miles First Flight

Finally more Marrina, a reason to get back into marvel, lets hope she actually stays this time around.

I do have to admit, part of me finds it interesting that Joe Quesada moves to handling movies and such while a new editor in chief is appointed and bada-bing - new Alpha Flight series.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    I do have to admit, part of me finds it interesting that Joe Quesada moves to handling movies and such while a new editor in chief is appointed and bada-bing - new Alpha Flight series.
    Not that we're drawing connections here.
    I like to think of it more as sculpting.

- Le Messor
    "I knew the dog was possessive about the car but I would not have asked her to drive it if I had thought there was any risk."
    ~ supposed actual response on an insurance form