Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Chaos War #5 - Spoilers within

its so funny thatall we were asking for at one point is a story, wether it be a one shot, min-series or even a appearance in a book to put alpha flight back together, erase some of the continuity nightmares and re-establish the team back in the marvel universe. i think that one shot did all that. now we want more. we are truly a greedy bunch

i still believe they were the only ones left alive for a reason, not just a passing thought.

I'm glad we all have different opinions, cos let's face it, it'd be boring if we didn't.

Generation X #19 - Saquatch essentially implies Alpha Flight were a joke
    New Avengers #16 - Alpha Flight killed OFF PANEL
    Uncanny X-Men #508 - Northstar essentially implies Alpha Flight were a joke
    Chaos War #5 - Sasquatch & Mac shown as intelligent

On that pure & simple reasoning - Phil's opinion = Chaos War #5 = a good appearance.

Maybe I'm looking at it too simply, but that's just me. I don't expect anything more.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

The blurb at the end of CW:AF says "See Alpha Flight join the fight in Chaos War# 5". Did a fan do that?
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

If that's for me to answer -

No, a fan didn't.
    They did join the fight though.
    It may not have been the grand rebirth appearance some people were hoping for but they were there and they were fighting.

And before my quotes get taken out of context, I actually said;
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    There was no blurb or splash on the cover stating 'Guest Starring Alpha Flight!"
    Let's agree to disagree here? You're more than welcome to you differing opinion.

I'm not trying to say I'm right, merely that I enjoyed the oneshot and the appearance in #5 and that nowhere did Marvel state that #5 would be Alpha Flight's grand return and spotlight of the MU (and no, I haven't or am not stated/stating that anyone said or implied it would be).

And with that, I shall reply on this thread no more.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    In today's music industry, the Rolling Stones would have been dropped by their label and never had a successful career...
    Quote Originally Posted by varo View Post
    its so funny thatall we were asking for at one point is a story, wether it be a one shot, min-series or even a appearance in a book to put alpha flight back together, erase some of the continuity nightmares and re-establish the team back in the marvel universe. i think that one shot did all that. now we want more. we are truly a greedy bunch
    I can't get no satisfaction.

On that pure & simple reasoning - Phil's opinion = Chaos War #5 = a good appearance.
    I kinda agree with Phil on this one. 'kinda' because I also take the point that the characters could have been better-identified to a non-Alpha-reading public.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    How many times has MARVEL gone bankrupt?
    How many times has DC?
    The disdain for the buying public is one of the reasons why comic books don't sell well.
    Exactly. And as a longtime and loyal customer of theirs, when other customers tell me they're a business every time they do something I don't like, it helps me to a sum total of zero.

- Le Messor
    "I gotta stop him before he unleashes unholy havoc and it's just another Tuesday night in Sunnydale."
    ~ Buffy

I'm glad we all have different opinions, cos let's face it, it'd be boring if we didn't.

Maybe I'm looking at it too simply, but that's just me. I don't expect anything more.
    I don't take issue with Northstar ragging on Alpha Flight, because I think that is an in-character reaction. (Really, reading back through the Byrne and Mantlo stuff, I'm amazed at all the times he didn't sock someone in the jaw and walk out.) I don't like it, but I think it's a valid interpretation given his rocky history with the team. My moment of tooth-grinding "STFU and read some comics, Fraction" was when Northstar cracks wise about there never being a dull moment around Utopia, and Cyclops responds "This isn't Alpha Flight."

and Cyclops responds "This isn't Alpha Flight."
    No, it isn't. And it never will be, Cyclops, more is the pity.

Wouldn't it be great if more comics aspired to be like Alpha Flight?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Cyclops secretly wishes he was a member of Alpha Flight.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post

Dana
    Cyclops is still bitter that Northstar fights smarter than he does.

I gotta say that originally we were all just begging for 1 more Alpha story that didn't suck to high heaven. With the CW one shot we got that story. I'd like to think that when they killed off the Flight in Avengers they chose them because their death would come as a shock. They may not be held in high regards to many but like it or not they are Canada's version of the Avengers and to have them killed off panel was to show just how powerful the Collective was. It was a plotline used to shock, and it did. It cheesed us off, it made us say NFW did they just do that! Fast forward a couple of years and Marvel comes along with a mini series/event. They decide to resurrect Alpha Flight in this story. They didn't have to because (as someone else posted here) in CW#5 they could have been any other heroes put in those panels. But the fact still remains that they did revive Alpha. Whether it is an admission of a mistake (killing them off in the first place) or a way of placating the thousands of Alpha fans, I say we take it for what it is. CW-Alpha Flight was a decent story which brought back what a majority deems to be the best lineup the comic ever had. If there are plans for AF, great, if not then atleast they gave us a story that satisfies to a certain degree. Yes I would like to see more of them but it won't be in their own series, it will be as guest starring roles in the X-men or Avengers. Let's just be happy that they brought them back for now and hope that sometime in the future they get to see the light of day again in print.

DIGGER

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post

Dana
    Alpha wouldn't have that self-centered #@&%! anyway.

DIGGER

*FRAAAZPP*

Cyclops fries Digger with an optical beam, then goes back to looking at himself in the mirror.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/