Thread: Alpha Flight #6: Snowblind Featured In CBR's A Year of Cool Comics

Default Alpha Flight #6: Snowblind Featured In CBR's A Year of Cool Comics

CBR's Comics Should Be Good scribe Brian Cronin featured the Snowbird tale: Snowblind as Day 360's cool comic. Brian also gives Byrne the kudos he deserves for some of the inventive (experimental & risky) storytelling he did.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Excellent! I've been reading Comic Book Legends Revealed for a while, and haven't seen much about what he thinks of AF. So it's good for them to get kudos from somebody relatively high-profile.

- Le Messor
    "I do feel that spiritual progress does demand at some stage that we should cease to kill our fellow creatures for the satisfaction of our bodily wants."
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi

C'mon guys, lets face it! That 5 blank pages were all a cheap trick. He was in a hurry and late.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lisangelo View Post
    C'mon guys, lets face it! That 5 blank pages were all a cheap trick. He was in a hurry and late.
    You know it happened during Assistant Editors' Month, right, when every comic was doing silly things and cheap tricks?
    What's wrong with Cheap Trick? Dream Police, If You Want My Love...

Personally, I like it as a one-off; it was fun, off-beat, kinda new and different.
    As a one-off.

- Le Messor
    "I don’t know what you mean by YOUR way, all the ways about here belong to ME"

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    You know it happened during Assistant Editors' Month, right, when every comic was doing silly things and cheap tricks?
    No,I didn't.
    What's wrong with Cheap Trick?
    Nothing at all, I'm a Rush fan but I like Cheap Trick.
    I like it as a one-off; it was fun, off-beat, kinda new and different.
    As a one-off.
    One page ok, but five?... I want my money back.

How else are you going to draw a character in a predominantly white costume in the middle of a full blown blizzard? I mean her eyes are even white.

DIGGER

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
    How else are you going to draw a character in a predominantly white costume in the middle of a full blown blizzard? I mean her eyes are even white.
    This.

I think I only have three comics from Assistant Editors' Month. The X-Men one was kinda lame - they just put a bit in the end where an editor comes in to measure the Blackbird for OHTMU. I honestly can't remember what happened in FF that month.

I have more Rush than Cheap Trick in my collection.

- Le Messor
    "I don’t meet competition, I crush it."
    ~ Charles Revson

How funny since this very issue was just mentioned on another thread on here.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Mixed results

Alpha Flight# 6 is one of the oddest in the series, an experiment that is only partially successful and a back-up story which is stronger than the lead-in. FULL DISCLOSURE: the Shaman back-up is one of my favorite stories.

How is it then that, on a whole, AF vol. 1 #6 isn't one of my favorite all-around AF books? It's because the lead-in, while innovative and gave the letterer a chance to shine, actually demands more of the artwork that is seen. And that's where it fails to deliver. It might have saved time and kept the book on schedule, but there is nothing really special about the Snowbird section, not even one panel of an iconic illustration (which, IMO, could have been when she restored herself after the fight). It isn't until the Sasquatch back-up that Snowbird gets an iconic illustration with the stylized bird-motif.
    But it was too late.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

I think issue six is just begging to be reprinted in braille...

seriously, I liked it. Never once have I read it and felt cheated by the lack of artwork.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Never once have I read it and felt cheated by the lack of artwork.
    Yeah, me either. I feel like I can 'see' exactly what's going on in every scene, even when it isn't there.

- Le Messor
    "I don't like vampires. I'm going to take a stand and say they're not good."
    ~ Xander