Thread: Alpha Flight: Huge Stereotypes or not?

Threaded View

Default Alpha Flight: Huge Stereotypes or not?

I thought we could discuss this...

Shaman, Native Canadian (indian) mystic...Yes, this is an old stereotype...I have to agree on this one.

Sasquatch...The term Sasquatch is also used in the Northwestern United States...It's not just a Canadian term, is it?

Northstar, gay Montreal-er...Is that really a stereotype? Montreal is a more metropolitan city than Quebec city and it has a gay-friendly atmosphere, but was it like that in the 80's too? I don't know.

Aurora, Nun and harlot (via Twyst)...truthfully, I've never seen Aurora as a harlot or a tramp. She only became so, after Mantlo took over the book, when she began to easily throw herself toward anyone when Walter "died" (Bochs, Madison, etc...). She was only every really a nun, many years after Byrne left the book. Figuratively, Jeanne-Marie was "nun-like" in that she was chaste and religious...But I don't see how that makes her a Quebecois stereotype (maybe because I'm not Canadian)? Is the stereotype that all Quebecois women are nun-like or harlots? I don't know.

Puck, named after a hockey-related object...But is he a hockey fan? Maybe he was shown to be later in Volume 1, but Byrne never addressed any hockey obsession that Judd may have had, that I know of.

Snowbird, named after an Anne Murray (A Canadian...Gasp!) song (LOL)?

Major Mapleleaf...Dudley Do-right wannabee? probably, he did seem rather one-dimensional to me.

What qualities make these folks stereotypes? What qualities make them not so steorotypical? Which other Flight characters are stereotypical and why?

What do you all think?

If one really thinks about it....Almost every superhero is a stereotype to some extent...There are "bricks" (super strong, tough types who tend to be big), "blasters" (those who have energy powers), "Mystics" (who use magic in some form or other), The "patriot" (who wears their country's flag and fights for some patriotic ideal), The "speedster", the "brain", the "uber-man", etc, etc...
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 12-19-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!